Any success?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Any success?

Postby takem7 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:00 am

We have been doing fairly well latly 3 hunt we harvested nine specks and thirty three ducks.

when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Re: Any success?

Postby TBS » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:19 am

not really. seen more hunters than ducks thus far this season.

I have a hard time comprehending the massive amounts of pressure on public areas these days. The best years are behind us now, I'm hoping for $25.00/gallon gas prices. That is probably the only way the hunters will thin down to a point where a guy can actually decoy a duck in close.

One thing's for sure, KDWP&T initiative to get more people to KS to hunt is working! Of course our opportunities are ruined as residents, but they obviously don't care about that. Good luck the rest of the season, I'll be out there grindin' it out with everyone else in the overcrowded public waters of KS! :fingerhead:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:36 am

TBS wrote:One thing's for sure, KDWP&T initiative to get more people to KS to hunt is working! :fingerhead:

Yep. I've hunted 28 days so far this season (including Early Teal Season), every one at the Bottoms. The OOS tags on the trucks in the parking lots have outnumbered Barton County tags, easily. Yesterday there were two trucks in the lot when I got back; one with Arkansas plates, on with N. Carolina plates. It's gotten to the point that it doesn't surprise me any more.

Talked to two very nice retired gentlemen from Arkansas on Friday, they had a 16 footer with a full blind and only an electric trolling motor for propulsion. It was blowing 35mph and they were worried about putting in. I gave them two good options, and they took off to explore one of them. Hope they were able to get into a few ducks. Some OOS'ers, I don't mind.

So far, it hasn't been a bad season. I have found that I have to move around, find different spots, change tactics, etc. much more often than in previous seasons. The birds are heavily pressured here and will not fall for "business as usual". Yesterday, I noticed for the first time that the ducks would flare...big time....(and just be GONE) from the boat that was parked 100 yards away. In other years, they would just ignore it. Only once in the past years have I seen ducks take alarm at my boat. In fact, early this season, we had birds flying within 30 yards of the parked boats and even landing within 25 yards of them. No longer....
mudpack
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:57 am

Hows the guide service going Takem7?
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:50 am

rmb79 wrote:Hows the guide service going Takem7?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby takem7 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Pretty good if your not affraid to put in some hard work and change tactics as mentioned above there is plenty of good hunting to be had at the bottoms which is where two of these hunts were. On the day we shot three specks and a three man limit of ducks we set out 100 goose floaters and a bunch of ducks. Also a run and gun method of hunting would be way more successful than sitting for 4 hours where there are no birds.
takem7
hunter

Postby cbass12 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Shot 3 green wings and 2 greenheads this morning by myself. Lots of new birds moving in, and hardly anyone else out there. Would have had my limit real early if I had shot at all the gadwall that came in at first light, or if I had shot better later on. Really nice morning to be out.
cbass12
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Dad and I shot limits today. Lots of birds around. Should only get better from here on out. Me and 3 buddies had a pretty good shootout last week, but other then that, it's been pretty slow.....And yes, alot of hunters. Some are decent, most are clueless and shoot at birds that are 100 yards high.... :no:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby duckdozer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:37 am

takem7 wrote:Pretty good if your not affraid to put in some hard work and change tactics as mentioned above there is plenty of good hunting to be had at the bottoms which is where two of these hunts were. On the day we shot three specks and a three man limit of ducks we set out 100 goose floaters and a bunch of ducks. Also a run and gun method of hunting would be way more successful than sitting for 4 hours where there are no birds.

Just look at your post, that is not something that a guide I would pay would say, and his sig would not say when in doubt empty out. Find the X and hunt it always if you have ppl paying you. Pass shooting and running and gunning is not something that a guide I would pay would do, as well as setting up on someone on public land at 100yds.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 am

Five trucks in one lot this morning, three in another. The one I was in had a Florida truck and one Sedgewick County truck. (KDWP&T is getting the word out, for sure.)
Slow, very slow. Might have heard 20 shots (not counting mine) this morning, at the most. Every sandhill crane in the known world was on the Nature Conservancy....must have seen and heard 40,000 get up, and it took them an hour to do it. Only a few geese, but the sandhills were spectacular.
mudpack
hunter

Postby takem7 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm

You guys are rediculous! some one could post on here 2+2=4 and you would argue it til your red in the face that it is actually 5. For you internet scouters . Went out this morning and saw lots of mallards for the first time this year, also a ton of geese.
takem7
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Nope you are wrong, and BTW I love your craigslist ads.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting