Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lovable Lab breeder

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  T Man 
#1 ·
I am looking at a yellow lab from Lovable Lab in Seneca,KS out of the Claire and Darin liter. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of them?

#3 ·
Nothing special in Dam or sire I don't believe they really breed in regards to hunting, Sire hips are rated fair which scares me. I would like a yellow lab and train her for hunting but cannot afford all of the dogs that I've found with good hunting bloodlines. My wife found this pup online and fell in love so figured would look into it.

#5 ·
No way would you catch me buying a pup from a place called lovable if I wanted to hunt it, there are lots of other breeders out there with hunting dogs.

#6 ·
KSDucks said:
Nothing special in Dam or sire I don't believe they really breed in regards to hunting, Sire hips are rated fair which scares me. I would like a yellow lab and train her for hunting but cannot afford all of the dogs that I've found with good hunting bloodlines. My wife found this pup online and fell in love so figured would look into it.
How much is the pup? I woud be holding out for a pup that comes from good hunting lines.

#7 ·
They aren't bred for hunting like a lot of other kennels. I think if you are wanting a hunting dog I would go with one from a long background in hunting. The instincts with be far more pronounced. I wouldn't waste my money getting one from there unless you want a show dog or a house pet. Just my $.02

#8 ·
wtrfwl havoc said:
They aren't bred for hunting like a lot of other kennels. I think if you are wanting a hunting dog I would go with one from a long background in hunting. The instincts with be far more pronounced. I wouldn't waste my money getting one from there unless you want a show dog or a house pet. Just my $.02
My first hunting dog was a half lab half golden I found in the paper for 15 bucks. She had the most desire of any dog ive ever seen. My current dog I went with a known hunting breeder. Most labs will hunt even without great blood lines. You just increase your odds of getting a spectacular dog when you get a pup with great paper work.

#10 ·
EcatMagoo said:
My first hunting dog was a half lab half golden I found in the paper for 15 bucks. She had the most desire of any dog ive ever seen. My current dog I went with a known hunting breeder. Most labs will hunt even without great blood lines. You just increase your odds of getting a spectacular dog when you get a pup with great paper work.
My dog is also from non hunting background and she is easily the best hunting, hardest working dog I have ever seen. I get nothing but complements from my clients, and not to mention the cash offers lol. On the other hand my brothers dog (although a pup) has very little desire to retreive and is lazy, Im sure we will wip him into shape though.

As a retreiver it is born into them, it is more of a hunting instinct than to go get something and bring it back to you. Get your pup on a proven training method and you will be fine. I mean come on poodles used to be a retreiving dog. :wink:

#11 ·
The two yellows out of red cedar ended up not quite being what I was looking for as far as color and the pup from lovable lab makes me nervous with the sires hips and only 1year health guarantee. If anybody knows of any yellow lab pups for sale let me know. Thanks

#13 ·
My family comes from just outside of Seneca...its not exactly the waterfowl capital of the world...or Kansas....or even Nemaha county.

I agree with what the others have said here. Get a dog that will HUNT, and dont pay attention to what color they are. You want good parents that are proven hunters. One thing you can't train is instinct.

#14 ·
TomKat said:
My family comes from just outside of Seneca...its not exactly the waterfowl capital of the world...or Kansas....or even Nemaha county.

I agree with what the others have said here. Get a dog that will HUNT, and dont pay attention to what color they are. You want good parents that are proven hunters. One thing you can't train is instinct.
Labs are natural born retrievers. 95% of all labs have the instinct to retrieve and can be trained to do an average job of retrieving ducks. Great blood lines only make it more likely you will have a star. You don't need to pay a ton to get a dog that will do the job. I will always buy my dog from a line of hunters but i will never pay over 500 for a dog. My current dog was 350 and does a fantastic job, is very trainable and has average desire. My first dog was 15 bucks out of the paper and was more wild, harder to train, but had more desire to retrieve than any other dog ive ever seen in my life. I am NOT saying blood lines don't matter. But I AM saying the notion that you get an expensive lab in order to get a good hunting dog is a load of bull.

#17 ·
goodkarmarising said:
KSDucks said:
How much is the pup? I woud be holding out for a pup that comes from good hunting lines.
Im holdin out for a karma jr....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.