KDWP$T Survey

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

KDWP$T Survey

Postby cyoung24 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 pm

So yesterday I recieved a survey about the SEK zone. I'm glad they left an area for comments so I can voice my dislike for the zone. What do you guys think?
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Re: KDWP$T Survey

Postby takem7 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm

doesnt effect me, but I am starting to dislike having zones at all they are lame. open it state wide and close it state wide, there are several places I would love to be hunting but less than a mile keeps me from it.
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm

I actually perfer the later start date and wouldn't have minded if it would have opened a week later. I know on an average year we may have been iced out, but the traditional start date wouldn't have helped and last year really the hunting for me wasn't great until thanksgiving. So I may be the only one but I prefer the new zone dates and next year we may get iced but really the chance is just like any other year it's a toss-up. Also I like that I can spend more time in the treestand and not give up duck time. Just my 2cents.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 pm

takem7 wrote:doesnt effect me, but I am starting to dislike having zones at all they are lame. open it state wide and close it state wide, there are several places I would love to be hunting but less than a mile keeps me from it.

Closing the early zone would be a huge mistakes. Those marshes are almost always frozen in December and being open all of October allows duck hunting to be had from september 10ish - January 1 with no breaks minus 1 week in the state of Kansas. Really short sided thinking on your part to want the entire state to be on one zone.

I received the same survey. Havnt decided myself.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I wrote "I am NOT in favor of the SEKS zone. If you feel the need to have one for Roy Carter and CBI INC. then just give them an exemption. Usually we are froze up where I hunt and the ducks are gone. At least move the zone south of highway 54."

Basically when the split starts I quit looking for ducks anyways I have only hunted them a few times after the split in previous yrs. My focus is on geese and that is way more fun and rewarding IMO.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:44 pm

duckdozer wrote:I wrote "I am NOT in favor of the SEKS zone. If you feel the need to have one for Roy Carter and CBI INC. then just give them an exemption. Usually we are froze up where I hunt and the ducks are gone. At least move the zone south of highway 54."

Basically when the split starts I quit looking for ducks anyways I have only hunted them a few times after the split in previous yrs. My focus is on geese and that is way more fun and rewarding IMO.

I agree.

Also, I love your sig, you are welcome in my blind any time :beer:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

duckdozer wrote:I wrote "I am NOT in favor of the SEKS zone. If you feel the need to have one for Roy Carter and CBI INC. then just give them an exemption. Usually we are froze up where I hunt and the ducks are gone. At least move the zone south of highway 54.

My thoughts too,I'm just not sure how I'm gonna write it. I enjoy going down south and visiting friends and hunting late season mallards but my home area is in the sek zone and is usually frozen and devoid of birds by the first week or two of december. If you move the line south its just gonna crowd more people into less space and I'm afraid we would loose the few private spots we have to guides from the north looking to make an extra buck. I'm starting to think divide the state into 2 zones west (early) and east (late) and do away with the split. You would still get the some oct and nov for the north and dec and some jan for the south. I don't know though, no matter what you do none of it matters if the weather and ducks don't cooperate. Weird why they didn't send the survey out before they created the zone, in reality our opinion doesn't matter all that does is $$$$. Crazy how a couple commercial interests can change a state's waterfowl structure.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
cyoung24
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I would like the split during deer dow season. But I like my se zone, it give me more place to hunt right now, when everyone done deer hunting. Usely we hard lot of duck right now on the lake and they come eat on the field, but its the other way-around.
cONG
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 pm

I am in favor of the SEK zone change . It has increased the number of hunting days, during the period, when the big ducks are here . We were looking at empty skies and bluebird days during most of November and December. The migration pattern has changed in eastern Ks.to later in the year. Flint hills has only recently started seeing larger numbers of birds . MDC has had some of it`s highest bird counts of the season in late Dec. and January. I personally saw more birds (Mallards) out scouting last week than any time so far this season. The changes in the season dates is all about providing hunters the best hunting opportunities,and has nothing to do with Big island or any other outfitter in the zone . It is adjusting to the changing migration patterns in Eastern Ks.. I respect everyones opinion on this subject but I am hard pressed to understand why duck hunters would want a seasonal time frame that didn't represent the best available hunting opportunities .
I have never hunted with any of the SE Ks. outfitters Carter /Satterlee and have no interest in their operations but Ray Charles could see that if they are petitioning for a later season because that's when the ducks are arriving, then it makes sense that that would benefit all of us .
As I understand it the Southeast zone change resolution was championed by the newly appointed commissioner Don Budd from KCK. Mr. Budd I understand is an avid duck hunter and owns waterfowl property in the SEK zone area. Commissioner Budd had become acutely aware of the changing migration patterns in eastern KS.
Yesterday Jan. 23rd three of us hunted one of the most heavily hunted public marsh`s in eastern Ks. We had a great time and were able to harvest 12 Mallards ,3 Gaddy`s 2 Ringnecks and a bull Pin . It was a beautiful day with moderate temps and a sky full of ducks . The irony is we saw only two other hunters. Some of our best hunting of the season is available out there right now. I urge you to get out there get and utilize the opportunity.
Last edited by John O`Neal on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby JMac202 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:41 pm

I got mine and voiced some displeasure. Basically all the Zones and crazy boarders are KDWP's way of trying to trap hunters into making a mistake of hunting an area that's in the wrong zone. Some areas are easy to tell where it starts but others are not. That being said I told them they should open the entire state later and more hunting time in Jan. Frozen or not I've had better hunts late season compared to early season when it's still 70 to 80 degrees.
JMac202
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Ya'll should be lucky your wildlife dept. Is smart enough to move the seasons with the migration. There's nothing better than late season greenheads. hell were still holding thousands up here and our.seasons been closed for a month and a.half.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Thedozer wrote:Ya'll should be lucky your wildlife dept. Is smart enough to move the seasons with the migration. There's nothing better than late season greenheads. hell were still holding thousands up here and our.seasons been closed for a month and a.half.

This season is an anomaly. Usually its frozen tighter than (you fill in the blank) with several inches of snow on the ground by January.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby JMac202 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:03 pm

cyoung24 wrote:
Thedozer wrote:Ya'll should be lucky your wildlife dept. Is smart enough to move the seasons with the migration. There's nothing better than late season greenheads. hell were still holding thousands up here and our.seasons been closed for a month and a.half.

This season is an anomaly. Usually its frozen tighter than (you fill in the blank) with several inches of snow on the ground by January.

Not near Wichita it hasn't. The last 4 years there's been numerous days in the 60's. February is when it gets it coldest.
JMac202
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:09 pm

cyoung24 wrote:This season is an anomaly. Usually its frozen tighter than (you fill in the blank) with several inches of snow on the ground by January.

Surprising not more people realize this.

I don't have a problem with Kansas creating another zone, or adjusting the dates to meet the desires of the majority of the people hunting in that zone.
What I have a problem with is the state being so easily influenced by a tiny minority of those hunters, the ones with big money.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm

JMac202 wrote:Not near Wichita it hasn't. The last 4 years there's been numerous days in the 60's. February is when it gets it coldest.

I keep a journal and my spot, which is in the SE zone has been frozen solid the past several years about the middle of Dec. Last year I believe it was Dec 10ish when it locked up and the birds were gone. I will admit though the best days we had last year were the last 3 days of the first season but that was private ground, the public marshes were frozen and we were hunting almost at the Ok border, much farther south than my home marsh. Strangely though there seems to be a warm spell during the second season with some thaw out and reverse migration. I don't know, damned if you do damned if you don't. Doesn't matter anyway like someone said on another site the end of the worlds coming in Dec, so who cares.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby JMac202 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm

cyoung24 wrote:
JMac202 wrote:Not near Wichita it hasn't. The last 4 years there's been numerous days in the 60's. February is when it gets it coldest.

I keep a journal and my spot, which is in the SE zone has been frozen solid the past several years about the middle of Dec. Last year I believe it was Dec 10ish when it locked up and the birds were gone. I will admit though the best days we had last year were the last 3 days of the first season but that was private ground, the public marshes were frozen and we were hunting almost at the Ok border, much farther south than my home marsh. Strangely though there seems to be a warm spell during the second season with some thaw out and reverse migration. I don't know, damned if you do damned if you don't. Doesn't matter anyway like someone said on another site the end of the worlds coming in Dec, so who cares.

I dont keep a journal but I recall numerous goose hunts as far back as 4 years ago in January that were in the 70's. That being said we get about a week to 10 days of a cold snap in January. Then it warms back up. Like it did this past week. It got cold and then right back in the 50's. This was the first time I hunted the SE Zone. We deer hunt Private Land out there and always said we should duck hunt the ponds. Well we did this year. It was Dec 27 and it was near 60's. Went back New Years weekend...pretty much the same thing. Here's the damage we did in the SE Zone. I will agree that no matter the dates set not everyone will be happy with it. I just think the season should start later and end later. I'm tired of duck season starting in Oct and its still 80 degrees out. I rather it be cold and even froze up because there will still be birds. Plus I have river access that rarely freezes. Plus the later start keep the part time fair weather hunters at home because it's too cold out.

JMac202
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 pm

JMac202 wrote:I got mine and voiced some displeasure. Basically all the Zones and crazy boarders are KDWP's way of trying to trap hunters into making a mistake of hunting an area that's in the wrong zone. Some areas are easy to tell where it starts but others are not. That being said I told them they should open the entire state later and more hunting time in Jan. Frozen or not I've had better hunts late season compared to early season when it's still 70 to 80 degrees.

So you want the marshes in the northern part of the state to be closed in early November because you can hunt the Southern part of the state and do better later in the season? Seriously...how does that make sense. With multiple zones in the state it means you have more days you can actually hunt if you are willing to travel 2-3 hrs. With all the zones you can hunt from early October to January with no breaks. Yet you feel as though we should be limited to one zone and total less days to hunt? Its frustrating how anyone couldn't understand this.

One more time

Multiple zones = more days you can hunt in Kansas.

This season in Kansas you were able to duck hunt somewhere in the state for 102 days total and this doesnt count teal season. How could you possibly want it reduced to all in one zone. That would mean we would go from 102 days to hunt and reduce it to a number in the 70's? :fingerhead:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby JMac202 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:10 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:
JMac202 wrote:I got mine and voiced some displeasure. Basically all the Zones and crazy boarders are KDWP's way of trying to trap hunters into making a mistake of hunting an area that's in the wrong zone. Some areas are easy to tell where it starts but others are not. That being said I told them they should open the entire state later and more hunting time in Jan. Frozen or not I've had better hunts late season compared to early season when it's still 70 to 80 degrees.

So you want the marshes in the northern part of the state to be closed in early November because you can hunt the Southern part of the state and do better later in the season? Seriously...how does that make sense. With multiple zones in the state it means you have more days you can actually hunt if you are willing to travel 2-3 hrs. With all the zones you can hunt from early October to January with no breaks. Yet you feel as though we should be limited to one zone and total less days to hunt? Its frustrating how anyone couldn't understand this.

One more time

Multiple zones = more days you can hunt in Kansas.

This season in Kansas you were able to duck hunt somewhere in the state for 102 days total and this doesnt count teal season. How could you possibly want it reduced to all in one zone. That would mean we would go from 102 days to hunt and reduce it to a number in the 70's? :fingerhead:

If you read what I wrote I said I preferred the season be opened later. Or give a bigger gap so it stays open later into February. Hell the could open it the same time but stop mid November and open it beginning of December and run the the middle of February. IT just seems ducks dont make it here in great number until the last week or so of the season and then its closed.

As far as the zones Im not against that. Im just against about the layout. It's too easy to get confused with the boarders of the zones. Highway this road that. Why not make the outline for Zones by county? Instead of the confusing layout they have. The way its setup now just isn't hunter friendly. Its more confusing than anything. Seriously who designed the early and late zone boarders? Look at it.

Why not just make it simple and do it buy county? Look at the area for Reno and Harvey county. Seriously? You'd literally need a GPS and coordinates to make sure your hunting the right spot or you can risk a ticket because you hunting out of season. Basically Im more worried about my zones. Late and SE Zone. I think they should open a week or two in Nov and run through mid February. Not in October. Just my .02 not saying its right.
JMac202
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm

JMac202 wrote:
cyoung24 wrote:

]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/JMac202/IMG_20111231_103154.jpg[/img]

Great pics JMac ; Front page center of this mornings paper . The USDA has officially moved Kansas (all but parts of our top tier counties ) into zone 6 a warmer planting zone . There was a long article regarding the changing climate patterns and it`s effects on the Flora & Fauna. We are compelled to adapt our waterfowl seasons to reflect the changing climate pattern, or face wasting valuable hunting days prior to the arrival of our ducks .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 am

JMac202 wrote:If you read what I wrote I said I preferred the season be opened later. Or give a bigger gap so it stays open later into February. Hell the could open it the same time but stop mid November and open it beginning of December and run the the middle of February. IT just seems ducks dont make it here in great number until the last week or so of the season and then its closed.

Unless Federal law changes to make a few Kansas duck hunters happy (and it won't), this cannot happen.

Ecat's last post has it right. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby KSduckguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:41 pm

I have never hunted with any of the SE Ks. outfitters Carter /Satterlee and have no interest in their operations but Ray Charles could see that if they are petitioning for a later season because that's when the ducks are arriving, then it makes sense that that would benefit all of us .

This John O Neal guy has it right. I've wasted way too many hunts in early November the past few years because there are no big ducks around. It surprises me to hear so many people say that they don't like the new zone. Apparently you guys enjoy balmy weather with a teal or two to throw on the game strap over winter temps with a bag full of greenheads. It wouldn't bother me if they pused it back even more since the hunting never really heats up until the first week of December.

It's true that we are oftentimes iced over later in the year but I'd rather bust ice or field hunt when the migration is here than sweat my *** off looking for a couple of birds early in the year.

This wasn't a stunt to make money; it was an adjustment to the migration patterns of the area.
KSduckguy
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting