2012-2013 trip

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

2012-2013 trip

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Me and a couple buddies are thinking bout planning a trip to Kansas next year and I'm lookin for info.. Not specifics but general info.. We plan to hunt public and are planning extra days just for scouting so again I'm not lookin for anybodies spots.. I'm just wondering which region of the state is best for ducks? What type of hunting situations we will encounter? Would a boat be important to bring? Stuff like that... I can figure out the license info and lodging myself but bein from texas I don't know much bout the state and wanna hunt the best region.. Any help or advice would be appreciated... And if anybody wants to swap hunts or something I can do that to.. Hog dog hunts, duck hunts, eastern and rio hunts... Thanks in advance..
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Re: 2012-2013 trip

Postby duckdozer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 pm

You might get ahold of Chad Belding he seems to be the only one that knows how to kill ducks in KS. I sure the hell cant.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby hunter_ed » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Im not trying to sound like a jerk but any part of KS, at any particular time can be just as bad or just as good as any other state. It doesn't matter what part of the state you go to. One year may be excelent and the year after could be terrible. P.S. there isn't much public land worth a damn to hunt in KS if thats what you were planing on hunting....
hunter_ed
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:04 am

Could I ask you why you wouldn't decide to go north like Neb. or SD? I know Neb. has 800,000 public hunting areas to Kansas' 300,000 public areas. I know in my part of the state I asked 13 landowners if I could hunt their land well before season and 9 were leased, 1 said no and I was granted permisson to hunt three spots. Why wouldn't you travel north to find the birds? Not trying to be an ass but I'm wondering why you would decide on KS instead of other areas, since your putting a trip together why settle on KS?
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby hnkr83 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 am

Cheyenne Bottoms. Bring a boat. Pray for rain. Good luck :hi:
hnkr83
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:48 am

Start here:
http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunti ... -in-Kansas

All the state and federal refuges here are different. Some allow boats, some areas require mudmotors, some will accept outboards, some don't allow power of any kind, some don't allow boats at all. The all have different "closure" policies; they can close hunting without notice. The above link will help you get information on each refuge. Very, very few WHA's (Walk-in Hunting Area) have any waterfowl habitat. The link will get you a map of the WHA's.

Time of the year will also determine which areas are best...or even which area's are open; Kansas has four distinct zones, each with different season dates.

The largest refuge, acre-wise, is Cheyenne Bottoms. This year it had some of the fewest opportunities, since drought prevented putting water on 3/4 of the hunting area and on 1/3 of the refuge pool area. We only got to hunt two of the smallest pools of the five pools on the refuge. Next year isn't looking any better, water-wise. Some of the refuges in the central and western parts of the state were completely dry. Many of the areas in the eastern half of the state had all the water they needed. So, you see, where to go depends on many factors, factors that are quite variable. Weather is one of the big ones; we can be frozen solid in 2-3 days if the conditions are right. We can also be UN-frozen in the same amount of time. Do your homework the weeks just before you leave.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Check out the Kansas Department of Wildife site. This year was tough with the drought, but I would possibly think about waiting till goose and duck season are both open so you can chase both.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:36 pm

I would go with the guys from CKO. I just saw the episode of the fowl life and it was awesome!. Looks like they hunted on a public river, so you might not even have to pay.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:55 pm

It has to be a navigable river to be public. On top of that you still have to get permision to get to the river. Just be careful, it's a good way to get in trouble. Also, CKO area there is a ton of leasing so if you trespass on lease stuff some one will def tear you up. If you time it right, you can have a killer hunt. But on a year like this one it's real spotty.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

rmb79 wrote:I would go with the guys from CKO. Looks like they hunted on a public river, so you might not even have to pay.

Tell me who I have to contact for free hunts with a Kansas outfitter. Please?
mudpack
hunter

Postby champer196 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 pm

rmb79 wrote:I would go with the guys from CKO. I just saw the episode of the fowl life and it was awesome!. Looks like they hunted on a public river, so you might not even have to pay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
champer196
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting