A week too late....

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

A week too late....

Postby dukhntr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Here is a video from my buddies cell phone. We shot a 2 man limit of honkers on this hunt and could have killed a truck load of mallards. These ducks made an awesome show. Had to tease them with the duck calls as well. The water hole is only about 20 yards wide. These ducks were waaaaaay closer then they appeared on the cell phone video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4oHRIxv ... f4uvaN64EK

Then today, super bowl sunday, we scratched out a few more honkers. My wife's first trip waterfowling. She had a blast and will be hunting with us next year. One of them birds landed about 5 feet from her feet, then one of the kids shot it turkey style. :wink:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Re: A week too late....

Postby matmatthews » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Outstanding pic! Glad your wife enjoyed hunting. Hope to get a hunt in with you guys next year.
Roger Matthews
Owner of Choc Lab named Lucy
Currently at: Fort Riley, Kansas
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/roger.matthews1
matmatthews
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Good to see you getting the wife and kids out hunting. Congrats on the hunt. :thumbsup:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Congrats on the successful hunt.......although if one of your kids shot a bird on the ground 5 ft from me, I might have to have a little safety discussion with him.........just a thought.

It's good to see you getting the whole family involved, it will bring you many happy times together.

cheers,

TBS
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:16 pm

TBS wrote:Congrats on the successful hunt.......although if one of your kids shot a bird on the ground 5 ft from me, I might have to have a little safety discussion with him.........just a thought.

It's good to see you getting the whole family involved, it will bring you many happy times together.

cheers,

TBS

I appreciate your concerns. However, our blinds were all lined up touching eachother. The boy made the shot (head shot) and I had no problem with it. He yelled and tried to get it to jump up, which in turned warned everyone hunting. Close range head shot= dead bird on the ground with undamaged breasts for harvest. Anyone that knows my profession knows how I am when it comes to gun safety. :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 am

Dukhntr; Great video thanks for sharing . We have had the same experience regarding the ducks lately . There are tons of Mallards still around and we have been having fun seeing how many we can land in the goose decoys .Well done on your hunt and you got the bonus of sharing it with your family. Have a great day.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks John
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby ksfowler » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Looks like you had a great hunt congrats! We had a very similar experience last sunday as well, couldnt beat the ducks out of the decoys. At least they put on a show.
ksfowler
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 pm

ksfowler wrote: We had a very similar experience last sunday as well, couldnt beat the ducks out of the decoys. At least they put on a show

Beautiful shot of the Pins. My buddy Mike is holding one I took at the close of the first segment. It was the first bird of the morning . It had a 5" sprig and was very suitable for mounting. Pins are such elegant and graceful waterfowl it`s almost a shame to hunt them . But I do.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 pm

John O`Neal wrote:
ksfowler wrote: We had a very similar experience last sunday as well, couldnt beat the ducks out of the decoys. At least they put on a show

Beautiful shot of the Pins. My buddy Mike is holding one I took at the close of the first segment. It was the first bird of the morning . It had a 5" sprig and was very suitable for mounting. Pins are such elegant and graceful waterfowl it`s almost a shame to hunt them . But I do.

Well said, "elegant and graceful" I will always remember a hunt my father and I had two years ago at the bottoms. We hunted from sun up until about 2:00. We dragged our little layout boats deep into the middle of one of the pools where no motor boats could venture. I only downed two birds but had the privilege of laying still, watching flock after flock of pins fly overhead against a clear blue sky. It was one of those hunts when I was more of a spectator than a hunter, yet one of my all time favorite hunts. The vast size and isolation only the bottoms can provide, mixed with constant visuals of one of gods masterpieces.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting