What have you learned?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

What have you learned?

Postby Mallyard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:49 am

What was the one thing you learned this season? I know there are some HARDCORE hunters that limit EVERY time on the fourms, but talking to us hunters that arn't waterfowl Gods. What tactic, skill, lesson did you learn?
For me it was patience. I let birds work more this year and in the end I had alot more shots at 5 to 10 yards. I made it about the quality shots and not the quantity of my shots. It definatly paid off. :thumbsup:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Re: What have you learned?

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 am

Scout and scout some more...don't be afraid to hunt days I normally would've have written off.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 am

Figure out wind direction in the field and dont trust forecast or what weather channel says the wind is doing. I screwed myself a couple times early in the year with that and ended up resetting the dekes when I should have been set up the right way to start off the day.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Patience, probably number one. Had a dozen days where nothing showed up for the first hour and I was thinking about picking up. In every case, I decided to give it more time, and in almost every case it paid off with birds moving later in the morning.

Second: don't be afraid to change the decoys, add more cover, move the blinds, etc. It seemed to help more than once...and sure beat watching flocks slide off 50 yards out.

Third: the days I hunted three or four consecutive days helped tremendously. Seeing where, when, and what birds moved while hunting on Day A helped me make good choices about where to do, when to go, and what to set up for on Day B. Then, Day B helped for Day C...etc. etc.
Been duck hunting over 50 years and I still learn (or re-learn) something every time I go out. I just wish I could remember them all............. :rolleyes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 pm

I had a decent season considering how mild it was. I have always known how important concealment is, but I hunted with a new buddy this year and he is super, super anal about hiding well. After hunting with him and consistently putting geese in the kill hole at 10 yards made me realize that my previous idea of concealment was a joke.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby champer196 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 pm

dukhntr wrote:I had a decent season considering how mild it was. I have always known how important concealment is, but I hunted with a new buddy this year and he is super, super anal about hiding well. After hunting with him and consistently putting geese in the kill hole at 10 yards made me realize that my previous idea of concealment was a joke.

You also learned to secure your layout blind in the back of the truck! :hammer: :hammer:
champer196
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:02 am

I learned that with the crazy yr we had to never look for geese in a corn field, when the yr is like it was this yr. I didnt shoot 1 goose over corn. I also learned the importance of scouting the same fields everyday instead of well there was birds in it today we can hunt it on saturday. Another thing that I learned was that no matter how little water that there is in your area that ppl will drive from great distances pass up other legendary hunting grounds to come and crowd you. I learned that you cant trust someone saying that there are birds in a field unless you go and look for yourself, because sometimes that person just wants to go and hunt that field for whatever reason it maybe. I learned alot, as I shot 98 canadas (a record for me) this yr and only about 60 ducks mainly mallards in the field.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

being my first season in this location, im still scratching my head in regards to how to get away from people in the small public grounds around me :huh: EVERYTIME i went out to a certain public spot, I would be 1 or 2 in the lot, to just later be walked on top of 5 minutes till shooting time! So many people showed up one day I WAS BLOCKED IN THE LOT :mad: !!! what idiots...

So i learned i need new spots...
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I learned several things. Downsize and go big. I hunted a spot that had lots of grass with small holes scattered throughout. It was a terrible walk especially with a sled and layout blind with a neo-tub. So I took 4 oversized mallards and 2 goose floaters. And was as successful as I would have been had I taken 3 dozen dekes. Also don't get comfy in a spot. Seemed like the fight patterns would change overnight even without new birds. Scouting out ways to get to a spot was as important as scouting for birds, as well. I already can't wait for next season.
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

cyoung24 wrote: Also don't get comfy in a spot.

Good advice, that. I see it happen all too often, and am guilty of it myself: have good luck in a spot and keep going back to it time after time...even when it no longer is producing.
I suppose because it is a known quantity that we tend to do this. I tried this year to find a BETTER spot for the next hunt.

I've learned that I'm always learning something new on the hunt, if I just keep my eyes open and my brain working.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:02 pm

I can shoot quail better than ducks :rolleyes: Seriously, I shot around 10 quail this year and only 5 ducks. I had plenty of shots, but I just wiffed most of them. So I learned I need to shoot more clays.
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Forget what you thought you knew last season. Last year, hovey and I crushed the birds on such a regular basis that i came to expect limits. This year I dont think I shot a single limit and barely scratched out 50 birds (if im lucky)
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby river rats » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:13 pm

i learned that working every day can really put a damper on the hunting schedule.
river rats
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:49 am

Maybe you need Hovey back down there lol.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T Man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 am

Mallyard wrote:Maybe you need Hovey back down there lol.

maybe I could just borrow him for a bit next season to pad my bird count numbers.

You ever get a boat bought?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Mallyard » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 am

Nope everything's either too far or to expensive lol
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 am

I learned a lot.

I learned not to be afraid to adjust my spread if the ducks are not wanting to land.

I learned that breathable waders are the bomb!

I learned that my dog has settled down, and that all of the early lessons I taught her, like blind manners, pay off in the long run. She has exceeded all of my expectations, and earned her dog food.

I learned that goodkarmarising is a man who is NEVER late, and is always a little early. We had some great hunts together, and I include 6-7 where we didnt fire a shot. We had one hunt in particular that was physcially challenging, and we gutted it out and made the ducks pay. Quitters never win, and winners never quit. The 2 of us are eternal optimists...

I learned that my Carlsons mid range waterfowl choke was a good investment. I knocked some geese down that were way out threre.

I learned that Texas rig dekes are the best way to go.

I learned that Jarbo03 is a skilled and experenced waterfowl hunter. He and Mohuntingguy are both good callers.

I learned that Jenson is going to make a great Dr (or b ball fan) as he dedicated him self to his work :yes: on a saturday while the rest of the krew froze on a late season snow goose hunt. Rock Chalk!

I learned that mag extension on shotguns are a good tool for a pond jump.

I learned that T man is a good old boy, even if he comes across cranky on the web. If you hunt with Tommy, you are going to be smiling and laughing. :beer:

I learned that I need to practice my duck calling in the off season.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Mallyard » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 pm

TomKat wrote:I learned that mag extension on shotguns are a good tool for a pond jump.

Or that a tool with a shotgun is a learned extension for a pond jump
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Mallyard wrote:
TomKat wrote:I learned that mag extension on shotguns are a good tool for a pond jump.

Or that a tool with a shotgun is a learned extension for a pond jump

Probably not as clever as you thought it was....sorry.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Mallyard » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm

I wan't trying to be as clever as you thought I was...sorry.
It wasn't ment to be negative towards you tommy.
Just that don't take an idiot on a pond jump, which is a lesson I learned this year during spring snow season. Its never a good thing when one guy decides to start shooting too early.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 pm

got ya-

We have a system, we count to three and come over the top at the same time. Seems to work.

Anywho, a pond jump is a heck of a lot of fun.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby yellowflocker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 am

I would have to agree with Patience and letting the birds work. I started trying to pat attention to wing beats much more this year. Another biggie for me was concealment. I always have my kids with me and kids always move because big surprise they wanna see what birds are flying just as bad as us adults do. I can't say I blame them. So next year I am gonna find better ways to incorporate my layout blinds more every time we go out. Worked really well this year on some duck hunts that we had. It is more work but well worth the smile on all 3 of my kids face. The best purchase of the year was by far my dozen Dakota flocked head floaters and the texas rigs and Rig em Right bag to go with. Gone in 60 seconds. Made setting and picking up decoys so much nicer. :beer:
yellowflocker
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 am

I learned that I needed to pattern my shotgun a lot more extensively and thoroughly. I used to switch around the ammo I used based on the price and what was on the shelves of the store. I also switched chokes too frequently.

After doing some patterning already since the seasoned ended, I found that some ammo my gun hates, some it loves and that I was over-choking a lot this past year.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:27 am

aclumpkin wrote:I learned that I needed to pattern my shotgun a lot more extensively and thoroughly. I used to switch around the ammo I used based on the price and what was on the shelves of the store. I also switched chokes too frequently.

After doing some patterning already since the seasoned ended, I found that some ammo my gun hates, some it loves and that I was over-choking a lot this past year.

For what its worth to you-

I did really well with my Carlson Mid Range waterfowl choke and # 3 Federal 3" mags. Not too tough on ducks, and stout enough to pass shoot geese if I didnt have a BB shell handy. I got tired of changing chokes.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:03 pm

TomKat wrote:
aclumpkin wrote:I learned that I needed to pattern my shotgun a lot more extensively and thoroughly. I used to switch around the ammo I used based on the price and what was on the shelves of the store. I also switched chokes too frequently.

For what its worth to you-

I did really well with my Carlson Mid Range waterfowl choke and # 3 Federal 3" mags. Not too tough on ducks, and stout enough to pass shoot geese if I didnt have a BB shell handy. I got tired of changing chokes.

Thanks! That is the choke I just tried out and love! :thumbsup: Well technically it was the Carlson Mid Range Black Cloud waterfowl choke. I talked with Shane Carlson and he said they basically are the same. The main difference is that the Black Cloud versions are coated in titanium so they are more durable and the titanium helps fill in any microscopic divots that can be in normal steel chokes. All I know is, that Mid Range Choke works GREAT for me and my Beretta! :biggrin: (Oh, and I am a BC fan after seeing how they pattern out of my Beretta with my standard chokes and especially the Mid Range BC Carlson.)

I also got the Long Range BC and the regular Short Range steel versions of that choke series (going to try out the Short Range this weekend :grooving: ). Shane says they don't make a Short Range BC choke because at that range, they found the patterns were pretty much the same and any microscopic divots aren't going to play a big enough role.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting