Central Kansas

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Central Kansas

Postby Chad924 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 am

Guys, I have an opportunity to spend a week in Kansas near St John the first of December 2012 as some friends have invited me to tag along (they're going for whitetails) and I would rather go for some duck hunting. Their deer guide has said he would hook me up with some duck hunting, for a very nominal rate, but I just question how much opportunity is there in that area that time of year. I have not looked for any public land in that area but I assume that there would be some. He has some decoys but he is not a waterfowl guide so I can't expect him to have a pile. Below are my questions.

1 Is the hunting primarily dry ag fields?
2 Is the water still "Ice off" during early December (assuming a normal year)
3 Can i get by with 4-5 doz mallard dekes?
4 Is there much opportunity to find my own birds & do my own scouting or public hunting? For me scouting & locating is a good deal of the fun.
5 With a normal year what is the migration like during that time.

I am going to spend some good times with some good friends, although we will be hunting different game, so I don't expect to go & whack a limit every morning but I would like to have a little action. If I do it I will also be bringing by dog so I hate to go through the pain to get her out there to find out it is the wrong place at the wrong time, after all the dog is my best friend out of all the folks I will be spending time with in Kansas!
Thanks in advance
Chad924
hunter

Re: Central Kansas

Postby TomKat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:20 am

Perhaps hiring a professional guide would be prudent for you?

These fellows hunt with Chad Belding.

http://www.centralkansasoutfitters.com/

Enjoy your visit.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cyoung24 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I just went to the CKO website for the first time. I figured it would be bad but dear God. :no:
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Chris check thier FB page out, so full of themselves, seriously if you are wanting a non-douche guide check out http://www.flatlandwaterfowl.com , Screw Chad Belding, he will just have you hunting illegally over bait or more than likely be tresspassing.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Chad924 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm seriously thinking about the guide and I've used them in the past in Arkansas and had awesome hunts but there is a great deal of satisfaction in scouting and hunting birds I've scouted n fooled. I may go the guided route for a day or two but there will be days I DIY. I don't mind beldings videos but he seems a bit commercialized for me.

Thanks
Chad924
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 am

Chad, St. John isn't far from several decent waterfowl spots, perhaps an hour tops. PM me before you come out. I don't mind helping an OOS'er who will be gone in a week. :biggrin:
The time of year you have scheduled can be hit or miss, weather-wise; there really is no "normal " weather that time of year. It can be anything. There will be some ducks around at that time.
For that matter, PM me now if you are interested. I will answer your questions.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:43 am

Hopefully it won't be like last year, but it is all weather dependent.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:25 am

mudpack wrote:Chad, St. John isn't far from several decent waterfowl spots, perhaps an hour tops. PM me before you come out. I don't mind helping an OOS'er who will be gone in a week. :biggrin:
The time of year you have scheduled can be hit or miss, weather-wise; there really is no "normal " weather that time of year. It can be anything. There will be some ducks around at that time.
For that matter, PM me now if you are interested. I will answer your questions.

Mud, dont let him forget his black hoodies and Foiles band jewelry....it is Central Ks, you know :lol3:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mudpack » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:14 am

TomKat wrote: dont let him forget his black hoodies and Foiles band jewelry....

Don't worry, those items will be on the top of my suggested "must-haves". :biggrin:

Interestingly enough, I've received no PM's yet........
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting