Duck Hunting Forum banner

duck marsh idea

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  hovey 
#1 ·
Ok so here is story. I was discin my foodplots this weekend trying to get them ready for beans and milo. during this time i was dreamin about wilflife habitat and how to make some for ducks. One of the ponds we hunt is decent sized but a very odd shape. it seems like the ducks like land up above the pond in some boggy slews. turns out it is an old pond that the damn is busted out of. If i did some dirt work i could make it a little over half an acre.... maybe an acre. So my question is should i put a pipe in the bottom so it stays dry during the summer and flood it right before season or should i try to get it full for most of the time. There is a spring running into it so it should stay pretty wet all summer. any ideas??

#2 ·
yea put a whistle in in and try to plant it to what you want in there, i bet it would get really good with some managment if it is like you say.

#5 ·
I think it is worth a shot. I found some drain pipe today to put in the bottom of it. Thought about planting jap millet in it late summer. there is cattle in the pasture so would have to hot wire it off. the ground is too soft to get a planter into it but i could seed it with the spreader on my atv. planted some millet at another spot last year.... it grew really well until the neighbors bull came over and had a feast. any ideas on how deep it should be ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.