Bethany College here we come!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Bethany College here we come!

Postby topgun splash » Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 am

Just wanted to let the very kind people on here that responded to my post last year, and let them know that my son has chosen to attend Bethany College. He will also be on the mound for the Swedes, as he is a left handed pitcher. It would be really cool to meet some new people, and my wife and I will be driving him out about the week of the 15th to the 21st of Aug. Any suggestions on what to see while we are out there would be appreciated, we are country folk, I know you don't picture that when you say Calif., but we live in the mountains, so we would like to see the different things that make Kansas a great place to send our kid.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
"Western Extreme Waterfowl" Making memories,one shot at a time!
Precision waterfowl calls pro staff
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Re: Bethany College here we come!

Postby yellowflocker » Wed May 16, 2012 7:08 am

Congrats on Bethany! I am an Assistant high school baseball coach in Kingman and the head coach and other assistant I work with both played baseball for Bethany. While there you have to eat a place called the Stuga. They make an amazing sandwich with onions, smoked sausage, bbq sauce and cheese. Then go south a little ways and go to Smokey Valley Shooting Sports, they have some cool stuff to drool over. Best of luck and God Bless! :thumbsup:
yellowflocker
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 am

While there you should drive out to Kanapolis lake. They have some beautiful scenery. Specifically Mushroom rock, and horseshoe canyon. Really beautiful area. You might also ask around about Cornado Heights. It would also be an interesting place where you can see for miles and miles out into the open plains.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 pm

If you make it to the Kansas City area, hit me up, and can meet up for a beer or two.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Thu May 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks for the responses!

kinda hoped he's choose Kansas, he had some good offers at other schools, but not the offer Bethany did. So much good things I believe it will be a great experience. looking forward to meeting some new people and hunters, I am so warn out on Calif. I am at my wits end with all the anti-hunting B.S. out here. Just hope the kid realizes when he's out there what good, salt of the earth people are in the mid-west. Not looking to suck up ( well, yeah, I am) but he's in for a treat! I know there's probably a few richard cranium's out there, but I'm looking forward to a few trips out myself.
(News Flash) kid told mom we can't move to Kansas, it's his Kansas, and he doesn't want us that close....

Looking to take the southern route, cut up from NW N.M. thru OKL. ( I think it's Hwy 74) into Wichita. Stop by the brother-in laws in N.M. to see about elk and antelope hunting.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, hope to stay in touch with you guy's as this trip unfolds...
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Postby yellowflocker » Fri May 18, 2012 7:38 am

It will be Highway 54. It goes right thru Kingman where I live too. What can you say but Ahhh Kansas! If he does come here to live and you come to visit and can't find a place around there to hunt let me know. I would be more than happy to take you out as long as you don't mind hunting with my kids. Good Luck! :thumbsup:
yellowflocker
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Fri May 18, 2012 9:34 am

Yellowflocker- He is coming there for sure. He already committed, and Coach is flying out on the 4th to sign letter of intent.

We will be on the road come august.
topgun splash
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 am

topgun splash wrote:Thanks for the responses!

kinda hoped he's choose Kansas, he had some good offers at other schools, but not the offer Bethany did. So much good things I believe it will be a great experience. looking forward to meeting some new people and hunters, I am so warn out on Calif. I am at my wits end with all the anti-hunting B.S. out here. Just hope the kid realizes when he's out there what good, salt of the earth people are in the mid-west. Not looking to suck up ( well, yeah, I am) but he's in for a treat! I know there's probably a few richard cranium's out there, but I'm looking forward to a few trips out myself.
(News Flash) kid told mom we can't move to Kansas, it's his Kansas, and he doesn't want us that close....

Looking to take the southern route, cut up from NW N.M. thru OKL. ( I think it's Hwy 74) into Wichita. Stop by the brother-in laws in N.M. to see about elk and antelope hunting.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, hope to stay in touch with you guy's as this trip unfolds...

My girlfriend is from the Palm Springs area, and this is the route she takes. Says its right at 24 hours. If you decide to do a little bit of touring through Kansas, make sure you see the Flint Hills. Some of the prettiest country in the state. Take I-35 north out of Wichita up to Emporia. Beautiful drive. If you decide to make a trip out here during duck season to hunt with your boy, there is a lot of public hunting avaliable.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby shaun_reid » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:42 am

Looks like I will be playing against your son in conference play! I just got done at Johnson County Community College and will be going to Tabor College the next two years to play.
shaun_reid
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 am

Glad you and your son chose Kansas. Too bad he'd coming just before what will surely be one of the worst waterfowl seasons in decades. There is very little water in the state, and the best areas in Kansas are literally, virtually, and completely dry. Of course, that could all change in six weeks, but as it stands now doves will be it for 2012.
The bright side is that this will give your boy time to study every day and make his freshman year a scholastic....if not a birding....success. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 am

Mudpack- we leave the 17th drive to Albuquerque and visit Family, then straight there. Gonna make some stops looking at some places, and check out some of the hunting area's. He might even have to miss a year of hunting, which he will not be happy about..

Still have to figure out a way to keep his hunting stuff somewhere, and with everything else, that will be low on his list of things to do. Maybe he could hook up with someone for a day of dove hunting and borrow a gun? we will get it worked out once he's back there. Really looking forward to this trip, be excited to see Kansas for the first time.

I got on with a long haul company, so I've been making runs to Fla. and back, one to Dallas, once I get my 6 months experience, I will be looking to hire on with a mid- west company or local stuff so we can make the move. Just a longer process than I thought.

Shawn- What position do you play? Looking forward to seeing some games Tell Coach Hon he missed out on a good one.

Got some numbers from some of you, so I will try and call you guy's when I get close, like to shake a few hands.

Here's the Bethany article they wrote up on my boy:
http://www.bethanyswedes.com/article/1864.php
topgun splash
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:17 pm

topgun splash wrote: Maybe he could hook up with someone for a day of dove hunting and borrow a gun?

If he wants to drive four hours, I can loan him a gun and show him where to bust a few doves.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm

In Lindsborg there is a local DU Chapter maybe he can hook up with one of those guys and they can help him out. I heard that they that the craziest DU banquet in the state, gotta love that small town stuff!!! He isnt going to be in to bad of a spot for public hunting either there are spots out there,just might suck this yr with as dry as we are here all over the state.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 pm

No license, no car, so he will definitely have to work on making friends back there. If he gets his license, I will probably send his 4 runner back there.

Do you guy's know if he will have to wait to get a resident license, or will being enrolled at the college, will the state consider him a resident?

Thanks for everyone's well wishes, he's really excited about coming there.
topgun splash
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 am

I would get it where ever it is the easiest. Not sure about cali regs but I bet ks is easier. 6mo resident and he can get it I beleive.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby shaun_reid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 pm

I play short and third. Since you know who coach hon is, I'm assuming they contacted your son at some point? We have quite a few kids coming from Cali along with the ones that are already there.
shaun_reid
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Well, we leave tomorrow morning, should hit Kansas by Sat. afternoon. Looking forward to meeting some of you, depending on how much time we have, going to make time to see the state, and get around a bit.
topgun splash
hunter

Postby yellowflocker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Hope you have safe travels! Tell your son if he needs a place to go he is welcome to come with us all he needs to do is show up. It will be some what of a drive for him but I wouldn't feel right if he didn't get to go hunting at all this season. We have little water right now so no guarantees of how our season is going to go. I will however guarantee the coffe will be hot and the conversation and fellowship will be warm. God Bless!
yellowflocker
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting