Federal Survey?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Federal Survey?

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Last year I got a Federal Survey that had me record the number of ducks and geese I shot on each hunt, what county of the hunt (KS only) and the date of the hunt. Today I got a letter asking me to participate in another survey this one is very different. This one has me keep a wing from every duck and the wing tips and tail feathers from every goose I shoot and send them to the USFWS. I plan on doing it but it seems like a pain. Have any of you guys ever participated in this survey?
cyoung24
hunter

Re: Federal Survey?

Postby gooshnr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:07 pm

I've done the wing survey things several times. Just takes a few extra minutes to provide some information on the envelopes when you're cleaning birds. They'll send you a letter in June where they provide the species, sex (for ducks) and age status (adult/immature) for the birds parts you sent in. You can pretty much send in as many or as few as you like.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 am

cyoung24 wrote:Last year I got a Federal Survey that had me record the number of ducks and geese I shot on each hunt, what county of the hunt (KS only) and the date of the hunt. Today I got a letter asking me to participate in another survey this one is very different. This one has me keep a wing from every duck and the wing tips and tail feathers from every goose I shoot and send them to the USFWS. I plan on doing it but it seems like a pain. Have any of you guys ever participated in this survey?

Do they they pay for the postage?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 pm

T Man wrote:Do they they pay for the postage?

I believe they do. It says they will send envelopes which I would assume have the postage paid.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Yes, they provide as many postage-paid envelopes as you want/need. I participated about 10 years ago. Not as big a pain as you might expect. I got a big laugh out of one report back; a wing from a fully-plumed redhead drake came back as "Redhead Hen".
Probably ID'ed by a first-year biology student from Emporia. :lol3:

Participate if you can; it'll be a big help to the waterfowl.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm doing the survey. I sent the paperwork off today.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:52 am

Cy ; I have participated in the survey for the past couple of years and like it has been said ,they provided all the envelopes necessary . Just last week I received a letter listing the species,age and sex of the duck wings I had sent in . Interesting . It will only take up a small amount of your time and they seem very appreciative of the effort put forth . I am going to participate again this season. Here`s hoping we have a lot of wings to send in.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, it doesn't seem too difficult. I would have done it even if you guys said it was a big pain. I kind of enjoy doing the surveys. John, hopefully we will have lots of wings to send in but we're gonna need alot of rain first. I've been working on my new Four Rivers, installing doors and the base for grassing it in but I'm thinking about stopping because I'm beginning to think I'm jinxing myself. Maybe if I stop we'll get some rain. I'm beginning to worry.
cyoung24
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting