take out puppey on dove hunt

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

do you like to live in kansas

yes [love it]
100%
no [sucks]
No votes

Total votes : 6

take out puppey on dove hunt

Postby cONG » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:32 pm

ok i plan on taking my dog out for dove hunting she like 6-8 months old. Do you think its ok to take her out and make here sit for 2-4 hours is there any good way to make her stay by me
cONG
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:34 am

I would say take her with you HOWEVER make sure she / he is used to gun fire. Also, make sure the pup doesnt get to hot out there. As far as keeping her next to you, I would put a leash on her. IF you are going to sit in the same spot for awhile you can always take one of the stakes that screw into the gound. And make it as much fun as possible for the pup. Alot of guys take their dogs with them dove hunting to get them ready for duck season. But I can not stress enough to make sure that your pup stays cool. There are alot of guys that dont pay attn to their dogs and they over heat durning dove season.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:06 pm

kcduckslayer wrote: I can not stress enough to make sure that your pup stays cool.

vary ture ... alot of dogs are really messed up durring dove season... you just have to watch them give them lots water... if they start paying attention to gun shots and get the least bit jumpy leave , messing up any dog isn't worth a hunt no matter how good that one might be. there will always be many more to come!!!!
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby H20fwlkillr » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:05 am

Make sure you have plenty of water handy not only for hydrating your pup, but also to keep its mouth wet so feathers don't stick as bad. Doves shed feathers bad and I've seen alot of dogs turned off of retrieving because of the loose feathers.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby webfeet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:50 pm

be very careful with the heat, don't hunt the dog more than an hour or so at a time, it doesn't take much to overheat them. my buddy's girlfriend took his springer walking last thursday evening, the dog went into seizures from heat exhaustion when they got him to the hospital his internal temp was 106 which caused his blood to rapidly thicken and basically boil, they were able to stabalize him to a controlled coma, sunday night his pancreas and liver quit and he died. the vet bill is over 4 grand not to mention the best upland dog i've personally ever seen, the cost of the dog, training, and 5 years of going everywhere with my buddy. duke was in fantastic shape too. if you saw all this happen it would answer your question, i now don't think its worth it for doves. :thumbsdown:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:14 am

Wow, that is sad. Yes, please be careful with the dogs, plus yourself in these temps.
Captain16
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting