2012-2013 Seasons

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

2012-2013 Seasons

Postby dklaus1201 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Anyone know when they are going to announce the dates or if they have, where I can find them? Appears that the KDWP website doesn't have them posted yet.
Bill Herian wrote:If by "barrel stickers" you mean easy women, then yes, I fully endorse.
dklaus1201
hunter

Re: 2012-2013 Seasons

Postby cONG » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Im with you

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
cONG
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm

The dates will be set at the Aug 23 commission meeting.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 pm

I did hear a rumor that there will be an extra fee for OOSrs and JOCOs this yr. :hammer: :beer:
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby hnkr83 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am

Dates are set...... :no:
hnkr83
hunter

Postby KSduckguy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:18 am

I'm guessing you're in the SE Zone? I for one am happy to see that it was changed. I understand it not being good for some of the northern parts of the zone. Hopefully they'll look at the harvest data from this year and see if the late start helps. Perhaps when the 5 year trial is up they'll rezone so that the MDC Valley is left out of the SE Zone. Good luck to you all
KSduckguy
hunter

Postby Bhudson22 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:23 am

Am I reading it right? No split for southeast zone??
Just reading some of the post in this forum and others. Why is it that no ones happy about the southeast zone season??
Starting later but no split in january and more chance to harvest mallards being that they show up late??
Bhudson22
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am

Bhudson22 wrote:Am I reading it right? No split for southeast zone??
Just reading some of the post in this forum and others. Why is it that no ones happy about the southeast zone season??
Starting later but no split in january and more chance to harvest mallards being that they show up late??

For one thing a lot of places like MDC will likely be frozen those extra weeks. The SE zone means two less weeks of hunting shallow public marshes
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 am

You actually think that there will be water in shallow marshes to be frozen? You must be the most delusional duck hunter out there.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:35 pm

I don't know what makes me more mad about the new SE zone dates the fact that MDC will be frozen 3wks after the season starts or from what Ive read that the kdwpt vote was rigged and ignored what the public and other studies/experts recommended. Also what's with the Thursday start for the SE zone? Of course none of it really matters because there won't be any water to freeze. Looks like I can leave the boat at home this year and just hunt my Missouri pond, at least I don't have to worry about someone setting up on me at dawn.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:33 pm

duckdozer wrote:You actually think that there will be water in shallow marshes to be frozen? You must be the most delusional duck hunter out there.

Did I ever say I predicted those marshes would have water in them this year? Its about the trend in the season dates that concerns me. Not how much rain fall we have or will have this one particular season. First they changed the SE zone 1 week, now 2 weeks back. Next some knucklehead is advocating pushing the Early zone back two full weeks. The Fact remains that a November 15 open date in the SE zone and an October 20ish open date in the Early zone means that in almost all years, shallow water marshes will be frozen the great majority of the duck hunting season. Is that really such a difficult concept to grasp?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Im happy with the new dates and I live in se zone my buddy is to. But I like to field hunt ducks to, way better than the marsh.

cONG
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Cool post cONG.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:28 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:
duckdozer wrote:You actually think that there will be water in shallow marshes to be frozen? You must be the most delusional duck hunter out there.

Did I ever say I predicted those marshes would have water in them this year? Its about the trend in the season dates that concerns me. Not how much rain fall we have or will have this one particular season. First they changed the SE zone 1 week, now 2 weeks back. Next some knucklehead is advocating pushing the Early zone back two full weeks. The Fact remains that a November 15 open date in the SE zone and an October 20ish open date in the Early zone means that in almost all years, shallow water marshes will be frozen the great majority of the duck hunting season. Is that really such a difficult concept to grasp?

well while i hate the location of the SE zone we might as well push it back so that we can shoot mallards on thier way back in march.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Im not in love with the dates either, but, being in the far corner of the zone, it makes sense. 2 seasons ago, I can remember ducks piling in on us when we were out field hunting geese after duck had shut down. Yes, our marshes will freeze up (if its not another winter like last year), but our strip pits down here are deep enough that they dont freeze so they will hold birds. I know this is a very location specific situation, but as far as I am concerned I like it, I just dont like having to wait for it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:11 pm

I certainly expected everyone interested in duck hunting to have an opinion on the SE zone dates, but there was bound to be resistance to any changes . It`s just human nature . Some of you may be correct in predicting the date changes are a moot point with water conditions the way they are at present, but I will to continue to hold hope that the weather pendulum swings back in our favor in time for another great season. As far as getting locked out of hunting in the SE zone due to prolonged freeze-up, that just hasn't been the case, plus many areas within the SE zone are holding large numbers of birds right up till the end of season . We may get a freeze up for a few days causing the birds to move to more optimal open water locations but it is invariably followed by a thawing trend that brings them right back . I am making these statements with conviction because I am hunting in the SE zone every day possible during those prime January dates . The complication with January hunting on the SE zone public marshes hasn't been lack of waterfowl or hunting opportunities or even the ice, it is lack of hunters . On many hunting days we may not see another hunter on the marsh ,plenty of birds moving and no hunters . It makes me wonder sometimes where the guys that write some of this stuff are hunting because it`s certainly not the same hugely popular, often maligned, east Kansas marsh that I am familiar with . None of us know yet if the new SE zone dates will be the best possible use of our 74 day allotment , but based on what I've seen the past several years regarding prime Mallard hunting, it is a step in the right direction . Just another opinion . Have a great day .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 pm

John O`Neal wrote:I certainly expected everyone interested in duck hunting to have an opinion on the SE zone dates, but there was bound to be resistance to any changes . It`s just human nature . Some of you may be correct in predicting the date changes are a moot point with water conditions the way they are at present, but I will to continue to hold hope that the weather pendulum swings back in our favor in time for another great season. As far as getting locked out of hunting in the SE zone due to prolonged freeze-up, that just hasn't been the case, plus many areas within the SE zone are holding large numbers of birds right up till the end of season . We may get a freeze up for a few days causing the birds to move to more optimal open water locations but it is invariably followed by a thawing trend that brings them right back . I am making these statements with conviction because I am hunting in the SE zone every day possible during those prime January dates . The complication with January hunting on the SE zone public marshes hasn't been lack of waterfowl or hunting opportunities or even the ice, it is lack of hunters . On many hunting days we may not see another hunter on the marsh ,plenty of birds moving and no hunters . It makes me wonder sometimes where the guys that write some of this stuff are hunting because it`s certainly not the same hugely popular, often maligned, east Kansas marsh that I am familiar with . None of us know yet if the new SE zone dates will be the best possible use of our 74 day allotment , but based on what I've seen the past several years regarding prime Mallard hunting, it is a step in the right direction . Just another opinion . Have a great day .

Good post John... I really should not have included the SE zone in my rant about shallow marshes freezing up well before January. It was the post about people advocating the Early zone being pushed back several weeks that really got me upset. I havn't hunted the SE zone for about 10 years. The only down side for me personally in regards to the new SE zone dates is the mass push of hunters heading north for opening day in the Late Zone.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:17 am

your see tons of people when it 32 degrees to 50 but when the cold hits hard the true Hunters come out to play which are few. That is when it time to hunt but old people cant take the cold long and the young kids have no passion for the hunt.
I do have respect for joco Hunters that hunt right by my spot. They hunt hard then me.

cONG
hunter

Postby KSduckguy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:06 am

I don't know what makes me more mad about the new SE zone dates the fact that MDC will be frozen 3wks after the season starts or from what Ive read that the kdwpt vote was rigged and ignored what the public and other studies/experts recommended

I can understand your disapproval for the new SE Zone dates. You, like many other hunters in the northern part of the SE Zone rely on public marshes in the MDC Valley, which tends to freeze up a bit earlier than those down say south of Hwy 54. But to say that the vote was rigged is just nonsense.

I'd recommend that you watch the Commission Meeting live if you feel like you and other hunters have been slighted. If you'd watched this last one you would see that the room was SPLIT between the commission members and the public that attended as far as same start date/later start date. The hunter surveys from our zone were also split 48/52; pretty damn close to 50/50.

There was a passionate group of waterfowlers in the room who voiced their opinioins one way or another. And most had valid arguments. What it came down to was: do you want to hunt light skinned birds like teal, gadwall, spoonbeaks, and if you're lucky widgeon? Or do you want to hunt mallards and pintails in the prime of their migration?

John O'neal you are welcome to join us for a late January mallard hunt anytime.
KSduckguy
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:38 am

Prime pintail migration through kansas is NOT January
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby KSduckguy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Prime pintail migration through kansas is NOT January

Very true Ecat. However, if you have ever hunted geese in the past 3 seasons after the duck season is over you may have noticed mallards, and to a lesser extent, pintails cupping up and coming into your goose spread. It is very depressing when you put as much effort as you do into duck hunting with varied success during the season just to have the season closed and be covered with ducks in a goose spread.

The majority of pintails I've harvested have in fact been in November as they are early migrators. However I've noticed a late push of smaller groups of pintails late in the year. I'm sorry if this has you confused. Pray for rain and best of luck to you.
KSduckguy
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:35 pm

I'll still be out there chasing birds on both sides of the borders...so my season can run quite some time indeed.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:Prime pintail migration through kansas is NOT January

I'll have to disagree... last year on the last split we all took our allowed limit of drake pintails for a total of 6 drakes.... We ended the hunt waiting to finish our limit with mallards while watching flock after flock of pintails land in the decoys. Right spot, right time, and you can get into them good late season! :yes:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Disclaimer: I'm getting on my soapbox again and I'm gonna be long winded.

Ok I'll start off with stating my stance on the SE zone. I would be 100% for the SE zone if the northern border was moved south in turn not including MDC. I can't speak for Flint Hills but from what Ive read they are much like MDC. I lived in SEK for 8 years now im in the kc area and hunt sek when we freeze up north. There is nothing I love more than to shoot ducks in a corn field. That being said I'm lucky enough to have friends that I can hunt with when we freeze. I hunt about 20 days a year which is not as many as some but more than a lot. I am far from a fair weather hunter. I have hunted in the coldest of the cold borderline hypothermia weather. I will address my two points separately. The rigged vote and freeze up. There are also a couple of good reads about the zone here are the links: http://m.kansas.com/wichita/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ekRPGS26 and http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=910525

Opinion #1 The Vote
I used the word rigged in a previous post and I probably should have used a different word like predetermined. The way the Wichita Eagle made it sound from interviewing the commission members is that they had their votes set before the meeting or the public and biologist's input. Also IMO there is a severe conflict of interests in that commissioner Budd owns a duck club next to neosho and CBI. IMO he should have to abstain from voting let alone influence someone else's vote which is what happened as said by the commissioner them self. The Wichita Eagle published that the surveys said 77% of Kansan's wanted an earlier season. That should have been the end of discussions and voted the way the majority wanted not for a minority's personal agenda. If the survey went showed 50.1% for earlier they should have voted with the majority. On top of the surveys the state biologist said an earlier season is more beneficial for Kansan's.

Opinion #2:

Mr. O'Neil I value your opinion and input probably more than those from anyone on this forum and I would say that everyone respects you more than anyone on this forum and you are welcome in our blind any day. That being said I must respectfully voice a different opinion from a different point of view. The past few seasons have been drastically different. Last year was rediculouslly warm while the season before had 3inch ice in the middle of December. Not every person is hardcore hunting everyday breaking ice and chasing birds all over the country side. Many Kansan's go out a couple times a year early in the season when it's not too cold to take their kids. The thing is they pay for their licenses and stamps and pay their taxes just like you and I. I feel that cutting their seasons for the few of us so we can go shoot our greenheads only is simply unfair to the majority of hunters. I know most of you don't want to hear it but the public marshes were made for everyone not just the die hard waterfowlers only. Not everyone has the resources, time or money to go chase birds all over but they can go to the local marsh and have a shot at shooting a few birds. I feel that is limited with a later season. As far as having ducks in your spread during goose season that is going to happen all the way till spring the fact is lots of ducks winter here ecspecially in far south KS. I also feel a later start eliminates the posibility of shooting certain species of waterfowl (ie pintails redheads wood ducks etc). Pintails to a lesser extent but they seem more prevalent early in the season. At the marsh I would much rather take one of the previous 3 any day over a mallard.

All this being said all this is my opinion and I'm not at all trying to piss people off. Please feel free to tear it apart.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I like to hunt ducks in my coat and not my t-shirt. I love the SEK zone season dates, if I get froze up then so be it at least the board wanted to give me the best chance to harvest ducks in primetime.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting