Silhouette

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Silhouette

Postby cONG » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Do you have good successive using Silhouette goose decoys? Or is fully body the way to go?
cONG
hunter

Re: Silhouette

Postby takem7 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:44 pm

i know there are some guys out there the strickly use only sillos, not i tho
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Obviously full body motions are the best way but I don't see why a couple dozen silos would hunt to make your spread look bigger especially with the price of full bodies
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby yellowflocker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:24 pm

I got my hands on some Canada Sillosocks and I'm gonna give them a try this year and see how it goes. We have had some success with silhouettes mixed in with our full bodies on a few outings. Not much fun when the ground freezes though.
yellowflocker
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I just dont have the room for full bodys

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
cONG
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:49 pm

cONG wrote:Do you have good successive using Silhouette goose decoys? Or is fully body the way to go?

When I first started goose hunting my spread consisted of silhouette decoys (Outlaws) . We did kill geese over them over them on many occasions and there are some positive aspects to using them i.e. space saving ,light weight, easy to transport but I never saw that "feet dropping , I`m coming in commitment we get with the FF full bodies . The FF full bodies cost considerably more and there is a good reason for it, they are worth it . They are bulky to transport and require a bit more care but their drawing power is unequalled . I eventually sold all of my silhouette`s and used the money towards buying FF full bodies . I have added a few to my spread every year to the point where I can now, put out a pretty decent presentation . When you have live birds in your decoys and can only pick them out when they move around you've got it right and your going to whack some birds .Good luck in your decision , but I would recommend the FF full bodies . Get yourself some and you`l hammer them. :hammer: Just my 2 cents worth.

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:27 pm

I might take you seriously....BUT you drive a dodge :hammer:
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 am

How many fully body is everyone running? Can a I get buy with 1 1/2 dozen full-body, 2 power hunters, dozen sihouetts and flag.
Now that I know silhouetts will not work, I will spend my money on full-body, and build my spread up, and not wast money.
Lets talk about snow geese decoys :lol3:
cONG
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:50 am

Max4Holly wrote:I might take you seriously....BUT you drive a dodge :hammer:

Yea I do : But it`s a HEMI. I grew up during the muscle car era . We had cars they wrote songs about i.e. the Beach Boys " 409" . " Little GTO " Ronnie and the Daytonas and of course "Mustang Sally ". My Ram has all the modern appointments, Nav system, Bose sound , Heated and cooled seats and rides as smooth as Jameson over ice , but when I get the urge to firewall the throttle on that fuel injected 400 horse HEMI it`s suddenly 1965 again. It`s just a nostalgia thing . Have a great day.
Last edited by John O`Neal on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:59 am

Just screwing with ya man, my dad drives a dodge and its a pretty nice truck!
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby champer196 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:16 am

If you on the X and well hid you can kill them over tires. But, yes silos work well it just takes more of them.
champer196
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

cONG wrote:How many fully body is everyone running? Can a I get buy with 1 1/2 dozen full-body, 2 power hunters, dozen sihouetts and flag.
Now that I know silhouetts will not work, I will spend my money on full-body, and build my spread up, and not wast money.
Lets talk about snow geese decoys :lol3:

We were shooting them over anywhere from 1.5 dz to 6dz last yr just depends on how many ppl we had and how much time we had. If we had to pack in and it was just 2 of us we used 2 dz but if we could drive in and there were more of us we would put them out till it was time to stubble the blinds. A fully flocked decoy is really the best way to go, I have 2 dz Tanglefrees and a 6 pack of the Avian X's, I personally for my money will keep buying the tanglefrees, the AX's were a gift from my wife. I told her should could have bought 2 boxes of the Tanglefrees, $149 @ rogers, for what those cost! Also the Tanglefrees come with a decoy bag, I bought laundry bags off an internet site for cheap to double bag them, to keep them clean. Landing geese is very much #1 in my book when it comes to hunting canadas I will try to get as many on the ground as I can before we call the shot. Very accomplising feeling when an inexperienced caller such as myself can land geese, it makes me believe that it is at least 90% the decoys.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 am

Man I wish silhouetts would work but thanks for all the reply, That is what I need to know. No wasted money is the man thing :thumbsup:
cONG
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am

cONG wrote: Can a I get buy with 1 1/2 dozen full-body, 2 power hunters, dozen silhouettes and flag.

cONG ; Of course you can get by with that equipment and by all means use your silhouettes to supplement your spread . I know several goose hunters including myself that started out with similar rigs . I would suggest placing your full bodies on the incoming side of your set and fill in behind them with your silhouettes. I see many of the professional outfitters still using this method to expand the presence of their spreads . One important asset you already have is your goose flag , I personally have found it to be more important than calling ,but that may be reflective of my substandard abilities . The flag is powerful in it`s ability to attract attention and coax hesitant lookers into the dead zone . Don`t overlook it`s importance . As several of the hunters in this thread have pointed out, realism, location and concealment are some of the more critical elements of goose hunting. Pay attention to all of them and success will follow. It sounds as if you may just be getting started hunting Canada geese and if that is the case I have a recommendation for you . Get yourself a copy of the goose hunting DVD "The Goose Society" . It is by far the most comprehensive goose hunting DVD I have ever watched . It covers all aspects of goose hunting from the characteristics and traits of Canada geese and how you can use those elements to your advantage, to decoys, decoy placement ,calling , concealment etc. etc . . It is well worth the $20 outlay. One thing you will find out as you become more adept in your pursuit of the big birds is there is a definite difference in killing geese and finishing geese. Once you are able to pull your geese all the way in, totally and absolutely fool them, and call your shots in that deadly twenty yard range, you will never be satisfied with just killing geese again. I wish you the best of luck in hunting the big birds . There is nothing sweeter than hearing a Giant Canada thump the ground . Keep us posted on your efforts .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:52 am

John O`Neal wrote:
cONG wrote: Can a I get buy with 1 1/2 dozen full-body, 2 power hunters, dozen silhouettes and flag.

cONG ; Of course you can get by with that equipment and by all means use your silhouettes to supplement your spread . I know several goose hunters including myself that started out with similar rigs . I would suggest placing your full bodies on the incoming side of your set and fill in behind them with your silhouettes. I see many of the professional outfitters still using this method to expand the presence of their spreads . One important asset you already have is your goose flag , I personally have found it to be more important than calling ,but that may be reflective of my substandard abilities . The flag is powerful in it`s ability to attract attention and coax hesitant lookers into the dead zone . Don`t overlook it`s importance . As several of the hunters in this thread have pointed out, realism, location and concealment are some of the more critical elements of goose hunting. Pay attention to all of them and success will follow. It sounds as if you may just be getting started hunting Canada geese and if that is the case I have a recommendation for you . Get yourself a copy of the goose hunting DVD "The Goose Society" . It is by far the most comprehensive goose hunting DVD I have ever watched . It covers all aspects of goose hunting from the characteristics and traits of Canada geese and how you can use those elements to your advantage, to decoys, decoy placement ,calling , concealment etc. etc . . It is well worth the $20 outlay. One thing you will find out as you become more adept in your pursuit of the big birds is there is a definite difference in killing geese and finishing geese. Once you are able to pull your geese all the way in, totally and absolutely fool them, and call your shots in that deadly twenty yard range, you will never be satisfied with just killing geese again. I wish you the best of luck in hunting the big birds . There is nothing sweeter than hearing a Giant Canada thump the ground . Keep us posted on your efforts .

Well stated John, I forgot about the flag, it is just second nature to flag to me. Before I could even come close to calling geese I ran the flag and it was very integral to our success. Knowing when to use it and why sometimes can yield in better results than an experienced caller with no flag can do.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cONG » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I order the first dvd The Goose Society and I have 2 flags. How many lookers geese do you run with your decoys?
cONG
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 pm

as far as feeders to non feeders (lookers, walkers, actives), we run 2or3:1 feeders to actives. So in my spread we have 1 dz actives and 2 dz feeders. That is just what I have when we hunt with others with more decoys it can get closer to 3:1 or even 4:1 just depending on what gets put out, but you always want less than half of your spread to be actives. This makes a natural calm looking set, one with a bunch of lookers/active looks rather nervous and cautious, IMO.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 am

:ditto:
2:1 is good, but 3:1 is better. I've never understood why the set up their harverster packs are set up the way they are.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby dippinsteve » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:43 am

We used to tun em around the edges of ponds and lakes... Takes up good space along the shoreline like real geese and you can use your good floaters or FB every where else. We used to stick em all around the blinds too..
2012 stats
Doves = 4
Teal =
Duck=
Goose=
dippinsteve
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting