Early Zone Hunters

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Early Zone Hunters

Postby burns_312 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am

I received this email, and with Chuck's permission, am going to post it. Please email him to show your support. I know I can't speak for all of you, but the vast majority would rather have an extra couple of weeks in January. Here's the email:

I know it is short notice but I must ask a favor. *The commissioners are meeting here at the Wetlands center Thursday night

To set the duck seasons. *I have personnaly talked with four of the eight commissioners and I THINK they maybe on our side

Into letting us hunt ducks later in the season here in the early zone. *What I need is a list of names who would agree with us

To shoot ducks later. *I can’t promise you anything other than I will plea our case to the best of my ability. *I have several of

The locals who are in agreement with us to open the season a couple of weeks later to allow us to shot mallards later into

January. *Please email me a list of names who you know that would welcome such a season. *I will let you know the

Verdict on Friday or maybe even Thursday night via phone.

Email Chuck at chuck_carper@doonantruck.com
burns_312
hunter

Re: Early Zone Hunters

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm

The early zone is full of shallow water marshes that typically are frozen solid all december and January. If by allowing hunting in January you mean not allowing hunting in October then I am in complete disagreement with your stance. The Early zone being opened allows for duck hunting in Kansas From September 8 - January 15. Why would you want to cut the total number of days you want to hunting Kansas down but 3 weeks? If they hold the Opener up a couple of weeks later then all you get is two less weeks to hunt The bottoms and Jamestown.

Bad Bad Bad Idea!
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Here is a copy of the letter my father just sent to Chuck. I urge all other to send him an email and voice your opinion. I know the dates have already been set but you should still email him and tell him what a horrible idea this is

"I saw the post on KS duck hunting chat. It's too late for me to protest, but I am totally against moving the season back to shoot Mallards. The marshes in the early zone are mostly all fozen even in late December when it opens back up again. Where can you shoot mallards in January in the early zone? Private ponds and corn fields? I would really like to know, because the places I am aware of ie. Jamestown, the Bottoms, Quivera and Mac Wetlands are frozen virtually all years in January. I hope you are not arguing this case for private lands. There are plenty of private lands on the other zones.

I hope for the sake of all the public marsh hunters that you are not successful. As it is I can hunt from the start of teal season through the end of December with only 2 weeks and 1 weekend break. If you want to move the late December season forward to early December that wouldn't be so bad. Most of the late zone lakes are frozen by then."

Thanks for your ear,

EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Now you can hunt all of January too. The Commission approved SE zone dates of Nov 15(thurs) through Jan 27 with no split.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:05 am

mudpack
hunter

Postby burns_312 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:26 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:Here is a copy of the letter my father just sent to Chuck. I urge all other to send him an email and voice your opinion. I know the dates have already been set but you should still email him and tell him what a horrible idea this is

"I saw the post on KS duck hunting chat. It's too late for me to protest, but I am totally against moving the season back to shoot Mallards. The marshes in the early zone are mostly all fozen even in late December when it opens back up again. Where can you shoot mallards in January in the early zone? Private ponds and corn fields? I would really like to know, because the places I am aware of ie. Jamestown, the Bottoms, Quivera and Mac Wetlands are frozen virtually all years in January. I hope you are not arguing this case for private lands. There are plenty of private lands on the other zones.

I hope for the sake of all the public marsh hunters that you are not successful. As it is I can hunt from the start of teal season through the end of December with only 2 weeks and 1 weekend break. If you want to move the late December season forward to early December that wouldn't be so bad. Most of the late zone lakes are frozen by then."

Thanks for your ear,

There are PLENTY of places to hunt mallards in the early zone late in the year. I'd be willing to bet you that the early zone has more mallards from Dec. 15 to Jan. 31 than it does from Nov. 1 to Dec. 15, you just have to have an idea of where to look.
burns_312
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm

burns_312 wrote:
EcatMagoo wrote:Here is a copy of the letter my father just sent to Chuck. I urge all other to send him an email and voice your opinion. I know the dates have already been set but you should still email him and tell him what a horrible idea this is

Thanks for your ear,

There are PLENTY of places to hunt mallards in the early zone late in the year. I'd be willing to bet you that the early zone has more mallards from Dec. 15 to Jan. 31 than it does from Nov. 1 to Dec. 15, you just have to have an idea of where to look.

The question is not what time of the year holds the most mallards. Yes there are more mallards later. But some of us actually value hunting shallow water public marshes in October and harvesting mixed bags. As the zones are set now Kansans can hunt ducks from September 8 to January 27 with only 1 week off. I think thats about as good as it gets! :) Every day later they set the early zone is just a day less available to hunt ducks in Kansas.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

burns_312 wrote:There are PLENTY of places to hunt mallards in the early zone late in the year. I'd be willing to bet you that the early zone has more mallards from Dec. 15 to Jan. 31 than it does from Nov. 1 to Dec. 15, you just have to have an idea of where to look.

I agree. If fewer actual numbers of mallards are in the bag late in the year, it's not because there are fewer mallards on the marshes, it's because there are fewer hunters on the marshes.....
The Kansas waterfowl biologists have come to that conclusion, and it is born out by what I see throughout the seasons.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting