Rain? What's that?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Rain? What's that?

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 pm

We are soooo dry here in central KS.. We need like 2 weeks of solid rain before we have any duck water. I'm praying.

Oh yeah, are we going to pull another forum goose hunt in Decmeber again?

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:23 pm

Oh man, I know what you mean. Predicting a bit of rain tonight and possibly tomorrow, but doesn't sound like it's going to equate to much. Lets keep our fingers crossed we get some before the season arrives.

Oh man, I am going to do everything I can to get in the group hunt this year. I am going to ask off way in advance and if I get stuck working, calling in sick. I know I am all ready for the season to get here though, and lets all keep praying for some rain to arrive.
Captain16
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:57 pm

Ya buddy, its way dry here. The city putting us on some sort of water band. We get so much we can use and if we go over that we get charged big time. But thats another story.

Where did you guy's have a forum hunt last year? It sounds pretty interesting. How did you guy's fare?
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong Matt, but the one I remember everyone did was around Sterling. Lot of geese around that area with Quivira nearby. I don't think they got quite as many geese as they hoped for, but I know they did get a few. It sounded like a great time, and I am hoping to join up this year.

Matt, I think we should plan on doing something like that again this year. Riverjumper, haven't heard from him lately, but if I remember right he was going to be finished with school this year and didn't act like he would be around this winter. He had some great honey holes around that area, great guy, met up with him a few times last year. Look forward to hopefully meeting a few more of you guys this year and get some kind of forum hunt going again. :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:53 am

captin is correct..

RiverJumper kinda showed me some of the ropes around sterling for hunting geese. So this year I could probably scout, and help host the hunt. BUT It took 2 of us to do it last year, there's alot of work involved. This year I'm thinking we need to limit it to 6 guys, and make it a requirement, that you have a blind. Whether its yours or you borrowed it. Next year I should have 2 extra layouts.
Last year we just had too many guys, we stuck out horribly. What'd we hit like 13 guys? But anyway we'll work out the details in the near future... Anyone wiling to be the extra scout? We dont have to hunt in sterling, but it's a great location. Thanks,

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:02 am

Yeah, I know I was wanting to hunt up in that area quite a bit this year, so I think I would be able to do some scouting for us as well. I would agree, after hunting around that area last year, I was very pleased with what I saw, lot of birds in that area. I know I would be willing to scout around that area. I am ready to go now, bring on the birds......and oh yeah, the season! :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Postby doane25 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:46 am

there were a ton of birds around sterling last year and there were some really good hunts. have any of you guys been out around there to see how much corn is in the fields? the farmers around here didn't plant near as much as last year.
doane25
hunter

Postby Tuff » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:45 pm

I live in Sterling, and would be willing to do whatever I can to help with the hunt and be a part of it. Me and riverjumper were going to try and hunt together alot this season, but he won't be around. I am starting my first teaching job this year, but worked on a farm just outside of Sterling through college here in Sterling so I know alot of the farmers in the area. But keep me updated on the hunt and I'll help as much as I can.
Tuff
hunter

Postby Blaster » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:00 pm

I'm new to Kansas and am a duck hunting fanatic. I live in Topeka, but am willing to do some travelling to get on some great hunting. Pm me if you are looking for a hunting partner during the season.

Blaster
Blaster
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:26 pm

:welcome: 12 Dollar - Got to hunt with your buddy Adam a bit last year, wish he was going to be around this year as well, great guy. I guess we should pray for some rain and some birds, that way we can organize a forum hunt again. I know this year I will make it as last year I missed out on the fun.

Everyone getting prepared, seasons just right around the corner?
Captain16
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:31 pm

oh yeah, I need to break out the airbrush and do some touch up on some goose floaters I bought. I got a heck of a deal. 11 Flamb floater shell convert a goose, and 3 Flam Judge's for 100 bucks.. :thumbsup: can't beat that. But I'm def ready.

Matt
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowl1964 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:50 pm

East Kansas is also dry. Clinton marshes all sooo low. Have'nt checked out Melvern yet. Pray for rain. waterfowl 1964
waterfowl1964
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting