To my new Ks. brethren!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

To my new Ks. brethren!

Postby topgun splash » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am

Well Gents,

I have acquired a home in Council grove, secured a job in Emporia, and moving truck backed into the driveway. I will be arriving in Kansas on the first of the month. I will look forward to becoming a regular on this forum, and hopefully getting to hunt with some of you. No need to panic, I have also secured several private places to hunt in my area, as to not "step on" anyone's feet. I look forward to getting to know you guy's personally, as ALL of you have been so helpful and kind. As soon as I get settled, I would like to invite you guy's over for a B.B.Q. and drinks.

Thanks to everyone for your kindness a help!
"Western Extreme Waterfowl" Making memories,one shot at a time!
Precision waterfowl calls pro staff
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Re: To my new Ks. brethren!

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:43 pm

:welcome: :grooving:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:02 pm

OK, since you had enough good sense to leave California I guess you'll do. Welcome to Kansas.
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:45 pm

You're already sort of a regular. :thumbsup:

Too bad you've chosen the worst year for waterfowl in Kansas in about 70 years. :sad:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:19 pm

We are in the 2nd year of a terrible drought.

Welcome to The Sunflower State.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby topgun splash » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:24 pm

I don't have that much good sense, I stayed here this long! I am really pumped up about this move, so many more opportunities out there. And the kids are even fired up about it.

i don't have to remind you guy's about the story of the two farmers, do I? Well, I will.

2 farmers, both prayed for rain, but only one went out and prepared his fields for the rain. which one do you think believed God would bring the rain? Go out and prepare your fields!

BIG shindig at my place when I get settled!
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:38 am

mudpack wrote:You're already sort of a regular. :thumbsup:

Too bad you've chosen the worst year for waterfowl in Kansas in about 70 years. :sad:

I think it's too early to write the season off. I've had one of the better teal seasons in a while. It does depend on traveling to find water....if not marshes, then lakes and rivers.
radfordc
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 am

Here's the thing. I have talked to a few of the Ks. waterfowlers, and and they say 30 mins. to drive is too far. What!?

I told Mallyard when we met, I drive here in Calif. no less than 1:45 mins. to hunt at a refuge, and it is not uncommon to drive to Sacramento (upper butte basin) 4 hours away. Then either, if your lucky enough, have a reservation, or you have to get a lottery #, or choose to sweat line it, and after ANY of those choices, it's either a foot race, bike race to a good spot. Then, when you get to your spot or a "honey hole" some wants to set up 50 yards from you. If any of you have ever experienced Calif. waterfowl hunting, you'd know what I mean. And the term "loose lips, sinks ships" is prevalent in Calif. as anywhere else.

I have found that more water means less concentration of birds, and I'm sure that's the case everywhere. But, you need water for nesting, habitat, etc. Local populations depend on that water, but migrators will find what they need.when you do find it, or make it happen ( I:e buy water and flood) pressure, will kill a spot quicker than anything. If you find a good spot, get in, get out, leave it alone for a couple of days, you will have birds most of the season. Key is, have 3-4 of those spots, you will have a decent shoot all season.

I will be new to Kansas, and how things work out there, but my habits won't change as far as scouting, driving, talking to others and listening to what the folks that have been hunting there for years are gracious enough to let me in on. I will be coming prepared, lots and lots of waterfowling gear, and a open mind. I plan on making lots of new friends, and sharing what I know, because in the end, it's easier to share a blind with a friend, than fight a enemy for a spot.
topgun splash
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:32 am

Welcome to Kansas ,great hunting and great people . You have definitely brought a positive outlook and will be a welcome asset to our water-fowling community . You are already off to a fine start ,winning over this forum is no small feat . Looking forward to meeting you and can`t wait for the party.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Pini88 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 am

:welcome: :welcome:
Pini88
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Wlecome, and a PM is sent your way!! :welcome:
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Welcome to KS...and nope 30 minutes isn't too far to drive..I routinely drive that and some to chase birds.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:54 am

topgun splash wrote:Here's the thing. I have talked to a few of the Ks. waterfowlers, and and they say 30 mins. to drive is too far. What!?

I don't doubt it. Many of us have good, if not great, waterfowling within 15 minutes of our homes. When that's the case, 30 minutes is too far...... :yes:
It's all in what we're used to doing. When I lived in San Diego, I thought nothing of driving 4 hours to hunt on the Colorado River, or 8 hours to hunt in Los Banos, or 12 hours to hunt on the Great Salt Lake...but I seldom went for less than three days at a time. Then, the thought of only having to drive 30 minutes to excellent duck hunting seemed like heaven on earth. That's why I moved to "heaven on earth", for a duck hunter, anyway. :thumbsup:

Your mindset will change, splash, after about three months here. :beer:
mudpack
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 am

mudpack wrote:
topgun splash wrote:Here's the thing. I have talked to a few of the Ks. waterfowlers, and and they say 30 mins. to drive is too far. What!?

I don't doubt it. Many of us have good, if not great, waterfowling within 15 minutes of our homes. When that's the case, 30 minutes is too far...... :yes:
It's all in what we're used to doing. When I lived in San Diego, I thought nothing of driving 4 hours to hunt on the Colorado River, or 8 hours to hunt in Los Banos, or 12 hours to hunt on the Great Salt Lake...but I seldom went for less than three days at a time. Then, the thought of only having to drive 30 minutes to excellent duck hunting seemed like heaven on earth. That's why I moved to "heaven on earth", for a duck hunter, anyway. :thumbsup:

Your mindset will change, splash, after about three months here. :beer:

First of all, thanks yo everyone for their posts!

Pack- "Heaven on Earth" is what you make of it. My mindset- just exactly what IS my mindset? To be frank, I've already changed my mindset. I have a new start, in TOTALLY different habitat, in totally different style of hunting. I to will have the spots 15 mins. from the house, but if need be, I will drive 2 hours aswell. I'm not new to this hunting thing, just new to Kansas. :yes:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but your the only one that seems alittle bitter towards me, and your the "other one" from Calif. I look forward to hopefully meeting most of the guy's on here, and sharing our knowledge of the sport, helping each other out. Isn't that what this forum is about?

Thanks
topgun splash
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 am

I dont get that from Pack.

topgunsplash, CHILL BABY....you are going to be ok. EASY>>>>>EASY>>>>
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

dont worry topgun, were all kind of @****** on the internet ever since KDWP became KDWP&T
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

radfordc wrote:
mudpack wrote:You're already sort of a regular. :thumbsup:

I think it's too early to write the season off. I've had one of the better teal seasons in a while. It does depend on traveling to find water....if not marshes, then lakes and rivers.

x2. Not that I am happy that we are in a drought, but it seems as though some of our pits down here have been drawn down low enough to get some good aquatic vegetation in fairly shallow water. This oughta be good for our duck hunting (sorry to everyone else) but it may turn some spots on the bigger lakes into nice little duck holes.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TomKat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:54 am

T Man wrote:x2. Not that I am happy that we are in a drought, but it seems as though some of our pits down here have been drawn down low enough to get some good aquatic vegetation in fairly shallow water. This oughta be good for our duck hunting (sorry to everyone else) but it may turn some spots on the bigger lakes into nice little duck holes.

Yeah, a guy with a nice boat blind might do real well this year :yes: :thumbsup: :biggrin: :hi: :beer:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mudpack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm

topgun splash wrote: My mindset- just exactly what IS my mindset?

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post:

I thought you were having trouble understanding why the KS waterfowlers you talked to felt that a 30 minute drive to hunt was too far. That your mindset was it's common for all duck hunters to drive hours one way to get to decent hunting. I was trying to explain why they feel that way and to let you know that, fortunately, you will very soon have good hunting without having to drive half a day to get there, it will become the norm for you too, and that you will be as thankful for it as we are (heaven on earth).

If you think I don't welcome you to the state and to the forum, you are mistaken.
So, I'll say it again:

WELCOME TO KANSAS, 'SPLASH!! YOU AND YOUR SON!! May your hunting be all you hope for...and more! :beer:
mudpack
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Thank you for both the clarification and the welcome, I look forward to meeting you, aswell as the others. I carry no hard feelings towards anyone, and certainly have no intentions of making enemies. Calif. will be left behind, mind, body and soul!

One thing, no matter how long I'm there, no matter where I live, I will NOT say Y'all! period! LOL
topgun splash
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I told Mallyard when we met, I drive here in Calif. no less than 1:45 mins. to hunt at a refuge, and it is not uncommon to drive to Sacramento (upper butte basin) 4 hours away. Then either, if your lucky enough, have a reservation, or you have to get a lottery #, or choose to sweat line it, and after ANY of those choices, it's either a foot race, bike race to a good spot. Then, when you get to your spot or a "honey hole" some wants to set up 50 yards from you. If any of you have ever experienced Calif. waterfowl hunting, you'd know what I mean. And the term "loose lips, sinks ships" is prevalent in Calif. as anywhere else.

I have found that more water means less concentration of birds, and I'm sure that's the case everywhere. But, you need water for nesting, habitat, etc. Local populations depend on that water, but migrators will find what they need.when you do find it, or make it happen ( I:e buy water and flood) pressure, will kill a spot quicker than anything. If you find a good spot, get in, get out, leave it alone for a couple of days, you will have birds most of the season. Key is, have 3-4 of those spots, you will have a decent shoot all season.

I will be new to Kansas, and how things work out there, but my habits won't change as far as scouting, driving, talking to others and listening to what the folks that have been hunting there for years are gracious enough to let me in on. I will be coming prepared, lots and lots of waterfowling gear, and a open mind. I plan on making lots of new friends, and sharing what I know, because in the end, it's easier to share a blind with a friend, than fight a enemy for a spot.

30 min is not to far to drive! In my years waterfowling I have hunted pretty much everywhere in the state, and will be from one end to the other this year aswell. True you can probly go out and kill some within 30 min, but some years the migration will push a little one way or the other depending on crop conditions or water conditions. Some years easter kansas is the place to be the next it will be central kansas or western Kansas. Dont be afraid to go after them. Part of what makes waterfowling is the journey. The countless hours of scouting, the numerous gallons of fuel, the hard work, and lack of sleep and then having it all come together for that one hunt that will be talked about for years. I cant tell you how many stories come up when you are out in the field with the old friends. Ones like "Hey you remember years ago that weekend we shot all them geese on the eastern border and the the next day we got all them ducks out on the ice on a resevior in western kansas". Dont forget to remeber the little things, that in the long term make waterfowling a tradition.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:58 am

topgun splash wrote:Thank you for both the clarification and the welcome, I look forward to meeting you, aswell as the others. I carry no hard feelings towards anyone, and certainly have no intentions of making enemies. Calif. will be left behind, mind, body and soul!

One thing, no matter how long I'm there, no matter where I live, I will NOT say Y'all! period! LOL

:lol3: Don't worry, Kansans don't say "y'all". You're thinking of TEXANS!!! :thumbsup:

PS: you may change your "location" now. :wink:
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:07 am

mudpack wrote:
topgun splash wrote:Thank you for both the clarification and the welcome, I look forward to meeting you, aswell as the others. I carry no hard feelings towards anyone, and certainly have no intentions of making enemies. Calif. will be left behind, mind, body and soul!

:lol3: Don't worry, Kansans don't say "y'all". You're thinking of TEXANS!!! :thumbsup:

PS: you may change your "location" now. :wink:

Or Ark-Kansans, lol!! We have a proper ratio of oxygen here in Ks, we speak properly and dont date our sisters, and livestock like our neighbor states to the south and east.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am

My warmest welcome to you and your family top.

Hope you have a great trip out here!!! :thumbsup:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 pm

:welcome:
cyoung24
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting