Early Zone Opener

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Early Zone Opener

Postby 2bd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Hey all

Who's all heading out?
2bd
hunter

Re: Early Zone Opener

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 am

Yeap...heading west on Sat morning and hunting through Mon morning. It's On!
radfordc
hunter

Postby 2bd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 am

I'm heading west on Saturday thru Monday as well.
2bd
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm heading west too, but not taking my shotgun......Loading up the video camera to film the circus and watch the show. I will also bring my first aid kit, so if you need any steel pellets removed from your skin, feel free to stop by.....cash only. :biggrin:

With the lack of water and surplus of hunters, you couldn't pay me enough to be on public waters this weekend....what a cluster*^%# :fingerhead:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Haven't hunted the early zone opener previous years, but this year I'll out there trying to shoot some ducks.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby 2bd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:55 pm

well if you guys see a guy pulling a blue trailer stop by and say hey.
2bd
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:57 pm

TBS wrote:With the lack of water and surplus of hunters, you couldn't pay me enough to be on public waters this weekend....what a cluster*^%# :fingerhead:

Always with the negative waves Moriarity! http://youtu.be/KuStsFW4EmQ
radfordc
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:10 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Haven't hunted the early zone opener previous years, but this year I'll out there trying to shoot some ducks.

See ya out in Pool 2!!! :beer:
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:13 pm

radfordc wrote:
TBS wrote:With the lack of water and surplus of hunters, you couldn't pay me enough to be on public waters this weekend....what a cluster*^%# :fingerhead:

Always with the negative waves Moriarity! http://youtu.be/KuStsFW4EmQ

:lol3: :clapping:

Very good sir! I love the oldies!

Unfortunately, that won't change the fact that 500 hunters crammed around 500 acres of water equals a recipe for disaster! I'll be there to watch the show, but will strap on the kevlar just in case!
TBS
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 am

TBS wrote:I'm heading west too, but not taking my shotgun......Loading up the video camera to film the circus and watch the show. I will also bring my first aid kit, so if you need any steel pellets removed from your skin, feel free to stop by.....cash only. :biggrin:

With the lack of water and surplus of hunters, you couldn't pay me enough to be on public waters this weekend....what a cluster*^%# :fingerhead:

That's pretty much what ruined me on the bottoms last season. Hell, if everyone was decent about it it wouldn't be so bad. Between the sky busters and the guys that set up on top of you. All it does is piss you off!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby TBS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 am

fowlhunter wrote:
TBS wrote:I'm heading west too, but not taking my shotgun......Loading up the video camera to film the circus and watch the show. I will also bring my first aid kit, so if you need any steel pellets removed from your skin, feel free to stop by.....cash only. :biggrin:

That's pretty much what ruined me on the bottoms last season. Hell, if everyone was decent about it it wouldn't be so bad. Between the sky busters and the guys that set up on top of you. All it does is piss you off!

I agree, but that has become public hunting in KS! We can either get used to it, or quit, cause it ain't going to get better. Actually with KDWP$T pimpin' every little resource possible, its only a matter of time before our deer herds are genetically devastated, our upland bird populations decimated, and public wetlands so over-pressured that the birds leave or become nocturnal.

I've accepted the reality that has become public hunting in KS. As a younger man, I can say we had it good. Excellent opportunities for everyone. But sadly, I won't be able to give my children that same experience. I'm fortunate. I have access to private lands and own some myself. But the average Joe will either give it up, or learn to duck hunt amongst a crowd. It's sad really, but we as a collective group have failed future generations. States like North Dakota, and South Dakota got it right years ago. "Manage" the resource and protect the resident's interest first. Then the state can benefit from tourism dollars and still keep the quality without plundering everything for a short-term revenue boost. Our officials really don't care, because they don't get campaign contributions from the workin' man. They make policy that benefits agriculture, and business.....the rest of us be damned........okay, sorry for the rant. Just a sore subject right now. :crying:
TBS
hunter

Postby radfordc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am

I made my first trip to the Bottoms two years ago and I saw the same doom and gloom predictions of awful hunting and bad sportsmanship. It didn't happen that way for me. We found plenty of spots to hunt that weren't crowded and shot a limit of ducks every morning. You won't know if you don't go.

Wait a minute...you're right, it's going to be a disaster....stay home everybody!!
radfordc
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:25 pm

radfordc wrote:I made my first trip to the Bottoms two years ago and I saw the same doom and gloom predictions of awful hunting and bad sportsmanship. It didn't happen that way for me. We found plenty of spots to hunt that weren't crowded and shot a limit of ducks every morning. You won't know if you don't go.

Wait a minute...you're right, it's going to be a disaster....stay home everybody!!

i totally agreed. Ive hunted the bottoms about 10 times and have always found a great spot off by myself. Although I have never hunted it opening day.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 pm

I hope you guys have a great hunt at the bottoms this year.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Will be hunting an undisclosed location.... :thumbsup:
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby radfordc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 pm

rmb79 wrote:I hope you guys have a great hunt at the bottoms this year.

I hear pool 2 is the "hot spot" this year. :grooving:
radfordc
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 am

I have my room book at the baltzell, and we will be setting up ontop of the first group of topwaters I can find out there. Possibly in pool 2 doing a killer coot shoot!!!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby champer196 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 am

Where do you plan on setting up shot at? I need to know so I can set my stuff up right next to you. I mean I know that we may be the only two doing this but It just wouldn't be right if I actually went to Jamestown instead of the bottoms or vice versa.
champer196
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 pm

I'll be getting out there late Saturday morning....don't want all you guys following me to my secret spot in 3A.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TBS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm

champer196 wrote:

Where do you plan on setting up shot at? I need to know so I can set my stuff up right next to you. I mean I know that we may be the only two doing this but It just wouldn't be right if I actually went to Jamestown instead of the bottoms or vice versa.

I'll be at the Redwing parking lot on the north side of pool #2. Stop by, we usually have some extra adult beverages if you are so inclined! :beer:
TBS
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Heading out by the Colorado border....shouldn't be too much competition out that way.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 am

everyone one sud hunt together and make a big decoy line and be happy
cONG
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:05 am

radfordc wrote:I made my first trip to the Bottoms two years ago and ... We found plenty of spots to hunt that weren't crowded and shot a limit of ducks every morning.

Two years ago and this season are apples and onions. Two years ago the Bottoms was completely full of water and there was plenty of room for everyone. Did you go there last year?? Bit of a different story, but still room if you were willing to change tactics somewhat. This year? Well, you'll still have all the room you could possibly want....just room of a different kind.

By the way, I just got back from Pool 3A....three men, three limits. It was something else.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am

we heard you over there, I bet you heard us beating them down too in 5, we shot a 2 man of gadwalls, and a bonus limit of coots. That will make great dog food!!! Got some great work out of the pup. Should have seen her freak when the sand hill landed in the spread while she was on a retrieve.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:41 am

Lol that would be classic. I never hunted the bottoms sound fun

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
cONG
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting