Jamestown Waterfowl Area

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: Jamestown Waterfowl Area

Postby sylvanwilson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

TBS - to hammer home your point.
I hunted at an un-named KDWP$T Wildlife area this morning. This is an area that can hold many birds and at times has great conditions.
There we 8 parties on the area. 3 groups were from out of state, I don't think any were from the local area.
There were a fair amount of birds - prior to sunrise. Once shooting time rolled around. There were less than 15 shots taken on area. I saw 1 BWT fall in the distance by a group that took a poke at a flock @ 70yds...I was impressed in that the bird fell 1/4 mile away and they hiked to go get it.
You would not have seen this on a Wednesday 3 years ago or prior to that.
As you were stating --"times are a changing."....we need to work to get them back -- because the leadership of KDWP$T is trying to turn traditional Kansas hunting into Texas -- I would rather not see that.

I will PM you to discuss your group.
I would encourage others to do the same -- that is the only way these things change.
sylvanwilson
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Out of state people will see how bad the hunting is in Kansas and give up. That what I like to think, but it not that way.
they have money to spend and time to hunt,and there wasting it on poor public hunting, what a loss.
Kansas public hunting is truly at it worst and will go down if hunting pressure keeps up.
There just to many people that wont to hunt, that have no land to hunt.

Sent from my Milesone X2 using Tapatalk 2
cONG
hunter

Re: Re: Jamestown Waterfowl Area

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm

TomKat wrote:
TBS wrote:
radfordc wrote:
TBS wrote: It seems these days everybody has a mudmotor, boat, and/or layout.

I have a boat/mud motor, but I use it to get away from other hunters. Compared to when I could only walk into marshes, I can now get to out of the way spots that don't see a lot of pressure. If the marsh is crowded I go to the lake...if the lake is busy I go to the river....if the river is crowded...wait a minute, the river is never crowded.

I hate to differ, but.........

If you've hunted the Kansas River anywhere east of Manhattan during the late season, I know you've come across other hunters. Last time we hunted there we were 1 of 4 groups along less than a mile stretch.

If you are hunting any other river, then you are hunting private land and that is the only thing left that goes unmolested.....enjoy it while it lasts, because sooner or later someone with deeper pockets will lease it out from under you.

What a terrible picture of gloom you paint. I have hunted the river for 5 years straight and never seen a single hunter not in my party.

TBS, your solution is to start hunting in Canada, away from all other humans.

A stretch of the river where I grew up hunting I have nit been to in 7 or 8 years due to lots of pressure, not uncommon to see 4-6 boat trailers at river access.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby cONG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:34 am

Field @ stream

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1349944460186.jpg
cONG
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:06 am

Gov Browndick wants OOS dollars being spent on fuel, food, and hotel rooms.

Thats the bottom line.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 am

Exactly

Jarbo03
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 am

TBS wrote:If anyone is interested, a few of us have started working on a Kansas Sportsman's Association designed to unite resident huters of all types in an attempt to create a voice in Topeka that helps to promote the interests of resident hunters. Currently, the only lobby in Topeka is the business lobby that focus' on the sale of KS outdoor resources without much consideration for those of us who live here.

I'm interested. Give us some more information on this KSA.

BTW, I've noticed an exponential increase in hunters on the Arkansas River the last two years. FWIW....
mudpack
hunter

Postby TBS » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:45 am

TomKat wrote:Gov Browndick wants OOS dollars being spent on fuel, food, and hotel rooms.

Thats the bottom line.

I think all Kansans want that. But what Governor Brownback doesn't understand is that his policies are not actually generating any more revenue for Kansas business'. For example. Next time you travel to a rural town on a hunting trip, try to stay at an older lodge or motel. Eat at a locally owned diner or cafe. If you can, ask them about the patrons they had 10-15 years ago. Ask them if they had empty rooms or empty tables? I guarantee you that they will say their business' were full, but that 90% of their patrons were from KS! These days, their business' are still full, but 90% of patrons are non-residents! We are not generating more revenue, just trading in state dollars for out of state dollars!

Pratt denied me the most recent license sales statistics, but the numbers I do have have shown a staggering trend. Resident license sales are dropping significantly each and every year, while non-resident license sales have skyrocketed. What that means to me is that more and more Kansans are throwing in the towel because of the competition for access to a place to hunt. The state of KS is forsaking the residents who live in KS, pay income and property taxes in KS, send thier kids to school in KS, and vote in KS. IMO, those of us who live here should be worthy of a fair shake by Brownback and the KDWP$T. Like I said before, this doesn't mean KS should deny non-resident hunters either, it just means KS should change policies and tactics in a fashion that would protect the resident interests, the resource, as well as the business' that benefit from the outdoor industy. It's not impossible, look at the Dakota's, Missouri, Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisianna. All states have managed to market their resources, yet maintain proper management in the process. I'm concerned KS will sell out and keep pimping until all our resources are used up. After its too late and people quit coming, then what?
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:35 am

I think KS needs to get on par with other states regarding OOS licenses for bith waterfowl and upland, aling with big game.

Jarbo03
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 pm

2bd wrote:Anyone hear any info in the 2 shots that rang out on saturday about 6:30am? I heard a dog barking like crazy and shot, a guy yelling and another shot. Talked to the warden, he hinted the guy "took care of" the barking dog.

Talked to Rob(the head warden) today. He said the shots were a guy shooting a raccoon. The raccoon was attacking the guys dog. He kicked the coon off the dog but then it attacked again. That's when he shot and killed it. There was no dog shot that day.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:08 am

EcatMagoo wrote:
2bd wrote:Anyone hear any info in the 2 shots that rang out on saturday about 6:30am? I heard a dog barking like crazy and shot, a guy yelling and another shot. Talked to the warden, he hinted the guy "took care of" the barking dog.

Talked to Rob(the head warden) today. He said the shots were a guy shooting a raccoon. The raccoon was attacking the guys dog. He kicked the coon off the dog but then it attacked again. That's when he shot and killed it. There was no dog shot that day.

Thats good to hear.... :thumbsup:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 am

EcatMagoo wrote:

glad to hear it
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby champer196 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am

Why do you really think that there are more out of state hunters these days? Here is my take on it.

Every state that has exceptional hunting of one or more species is seeing an increase in OOS hunters I would venture to guess.

For one there is more information readily available now about lodging, hunting, places to hunt, hunting reports etc etc. All due to the invention of the internet and T.V. shows. Everyone and their brother has a duck hunting show these days. Personally I really hate to say this but when the duck population crashes it's going to crash a lot of these "new generation" hunters and guys who have profited off of duck hunting. Shows like Fowl life, RNT T.V., Migration Nation, Avian X, all these shows who have a host that has grown up with high waterfowl populations and also guys who are converts to waterfowling who used to hunt maybe upland or something. Waterfowl hunting has become the "in" thing. Their is sooo much advertising that makes it very popular to a waterfowler. A lot of these guys are to young to remember the 2 ducks a day limits. When you went hunting and if you shot a limit of 2 it was quite a feat.

I really don't think it's just the state that is bringing in OOS hunters. It's a combo of lots of things put together. It's a changing of the times. And in the past 5 to 10 yrs things have changed in the hunting world at an amazing pace.
champer196
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 pm

champer196 wrote: Their is sooo much advertising that makes it very popular to a waterfowler.

I just noticed waterfowl hunters around here date disproportionately hot girls. Thats why I started.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby NC hunter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 pm

here is alittle story for u.....was there a couple weeks ago- we anticpated pressure and were set up at 0300....by 0500 I had 6 groups come in after us and refused to give us space....public land so what can I say other than they were half-asses with no plan or consideration for courtesy among hunters....though they did have alot of waterfowler stickers on their trucks..... by legal, we had 8 groups set up within a 100 yard area.....at first light, we shot a teal that when it fell it landed right on another guy that came in and set up on top of us- no bs, 20 years off our spread (of course they didnt have any dekes)...and he acted pissed off...***? That is what you can expect from Jamestown.....my advice- hunt big water where people will spread out a little and/or places that require a boat to get into....usually those with boats are more dedicated hunters and understand hunter courtesy.
NC hunter
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:47 am

NC hunter wrote:here is alittle story for u.....was there a couple weeks ago- we anticpated pressure and were set up at 0300....by 0500 I had 6 groups come in after us and refused to give us space....public land so what can I say other than they were half-asses with no plan or consideration for courtesy among hunters....though they did have alot of waterfowler stickers on their trucks..... by legal, we had 8 groups set up within a 100 yard area.....at first light, we shot a teal that when it fell it landed right on another guy that came in and set up on top of us- no bs, 20 years off our spread (of course they didnt have any dekes)...and he acted pissed off...***? That is what you can expect from Jamestown.....my advice- hunt big water where people will spread out a little and/or places that require a boat to get into....usually those with boats are more dedicated hunters and understand hunter courtesy.

Not trying to be a d*** here but...really? You say you had 6 groups set up close to you by 0500. Guys that get set up a full 2+hours before lst I wouldnt consider "half-asses with no plan". That is a lot different than guys walking in at lst (or after) as has happened to many of us. You say there were 8 groups set up in a 100yd area. Lets just say there were an avg of 3 guys per group. If each group used a 5yd area to set up (pretty small area for 3 guys), that would use up 40yds of the 100yd area thus leaving 60yds total open areas between 8 groups. So there was an avg of 7-8 yards between groups? Sounds like the one guy that was 20yds away gave you way more room than everyone else! I dont doubt it was crowded, and I dont doubt that guys came in after you and set up closer than you would like. However, your story seems a bit exagerated or maybe you just need to invest in a rangefinder.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am

Sounds like you didn't raise enough hell!!! I've had guys set up 40 yards down before and I was a big enough prick about it they've always seemed to move. I don't know how someone would even consider that safe. KS needs a distance law between hunters.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Setting a 200 yard between hunters law was almost passed this year but didnt go through, instead they put up those new waterfowl signs.
Any opinions on a law like that?
Last edited by EcatMagoo on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I never had that problem. But I do have problem of people shooting when working birds

cONG
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm

[size=150]NC[/size] hunter wrote:here is alittle story for u.....was there a couple weeks ago- we anticpated pressure and were set up at 0300....by 0500 I had 6 groups come in after us and refused to give us space....public land so what can I say other than they were half-asses with no plan or consideration for courtesy among hunters....though they did have alot of waterfowler stickers on their trucks..... by legal, we had 8 groups set up within a 100 yard area.....at first light, we shot a teal that when it fell it landed right on another guy that came in and set up on top of us- no bs, 20 years off our spread (of course they didnt have any dekes)...and he acted pissed off...***? That is what you can expect from Jamestown.....my advice- hunt big water where people will spread out a little and/or places that require a boat to get into....usually those with boats are more dedicated hunters and understand hunter courtesy.

Might you be from North Carolina? If so dont bitch abotu coming to KS and hoarding in on our very minimal public land and then getting setup on by more than likely a TAX-PAYING resident. Stay home shoot teal in your back yard or quit bitching about it.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby NC hunter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Well.....honestly gents, no exaggeration, it was that thick with hunters and lack of courtesy out there. Why didnt I raise hell with them? It just doesnt pay on public lands...if they are that inconsiderate to come in that close, they probably wouldnt understand any hell raising or simply don't care- We even invited a group that came in late to sit with us to avoid the safety factors, but they declined ...... I have learned that public hunting is public hunting and it is the chance you take. No...I'm not an out of stater- I used to live in NC when I joined this site years ago. I used to love hunting Jamestown, but this year, just too many hunters and not enough water around the state. I ran into 6 groups of folks who usually hunt the bottoms, but were forced to Jamestown due to lack of water...I guess I can't blame them. I am all for the draw procedures, or the 200 yard limit -early bird gets the worm.....if one is willing to be in the marsh at 3 AM- he deserves to get a spot to hunt and shouldnt have to deal with the 1-hour before legal guys who go in blind and move to the flashlights to set up..... or maybe establish a "no hunting after 1PM type of deal", anything to relieve some pressure on the birds out there- if it keeps up the way it has been, the over-hunting pressure will continue and it will suck for all of us. I just cant wait for deer/pheasant seasons to start so the less comitted waterfowlers will pursue other game......
NC hunter
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:14 pm

NC hunter wrote:Well.....honestly gents, no exaggeration, it was that thick with hunters and lack of courtesy out there. Why didnt I raise hell with them? It just doesnt pay on public lands...if they are that inconsiderate to come in that close, they probably wouldnt understand any hell raising or simply don't care- We even invited a group that came in late to sit with us to avoid the safety factors, but they declined ...... I have learned that public hunting is public hunting and it is the chance you take. No...I'm not an out of stater- I used to live in NC when I joined this site years ago. I used to love hunting Jamestown, but this year, just too many hunters and not enough water around the state. I ran into 6 groups of folks who usually hunt the bottoms, but were forced to Jamestown due to lack of water...I guess I can't blame them. I am all for the draw procedures, or the 200 yard limit -early bird gets the worm.....if one is willing to be in the marsh at 3 AM- he deserves to get a spot to hunt and shouldnt have to deal with the 1-hour before legal guys who go in blind and move to the flashlights to set up..... or maybe establish a "no hunting after 1PM type of deal", anything to relieve some pressure on the birds out there- if it keeps up the way it has been, the over-hunting pressure will continue and it will suck for all of us. I just cant wait for deer/pheasant seasons to start so the less comitted waterfowlers will pursue other game......

It's getting harder and harder to bite my tongue about this Jamestown stuff. Been hunting there for 20 years. ive hunted it two weekends so far this year. I might be willing to talk via PM
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby kchusker » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 pm

I just got back from hunting Jamestown for two days. Anyone heading there should know that they lowered Gamekeeper about a foot over night from Monday to Tuesday making the south end of it practically non-huntable. I did manage to bring home a few teal and a woodie.
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
kchusker
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 pm

kchusker wrote:I just got back from hunting Jamestown for two days. Anyone heading there should know that they lowered Gamekeeper about a foot over night from Monday to Tuesday making the south end of it practically non-huntable. I did manage to bring home a few teal and a woodie.

There was already only one place on the south end of gamekeeper that was huntable and that spot was okay if you like pass shooting. They must of dumped the remaining water into the north pool. Gamekeeper is mostly refuge.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cONG » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Do you think people will be pheasant hunting this weekend? And less on the duck marsh

cONG
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting