Jamestown Waterfowl Area

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Re: Jamestown Waterfowl Area

Postby SSG-B » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:12 am

I have been scouting the south east zone for youth this weekend. Things don’t look much better. It does not look like the public land will have any more pumping and everything dry. I think we will have crazy crowds on the opening weekend. Can’t wait to see some JO county hunter drop his boat in and get stuck. If you can find water, Hunt IT. :no:
SSG-B
hunter

Postby TBS » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 am

cONG wrote:Do you think people will be pheasant hunting this weekend? And less on the duck marsh

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

I doubt it, pheasant populations are virtually non-existent. That won't stop KDWP$T from pimpin' though. Their main focus is to lure non-residents here, and give little to no consideration for the resource. Funny thing is OOS'ers are in for a rude awakening when they find out there are very few birds in most parts of the state.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:32 pm

I will take your word. I thought about coming up to pheasant hunt, and maybe duck hunt around glen elder. Just like old times, but I will probable just stay down here, and buy some pheasant to hunt. That would be cheap and fun.
Will about 2 years ago pheasant had a big hatch and it was good hunting.
cONG
hunter

Postby gaducman » Fri May 24, 2013 12:14 pm

May an older hunter suggest ways to improve the management of birds and hunters. First give the first week of the season to resident hunters only, state wide. At Jamestown I have two management ideas : stop shooting birds and get out of the marsh by no later than 3 pm ( 1pm would be better) and/or divide the area into sections that rotate at being closed for 1 week at a time from Tuesday to Monday. This way the birds will use more than the refuge in the afternoons instead of leaving to find a better roost. They will not stay with pressure in the afternoon. Another tool to help reduce sky busting is to limit hunters to 1 box of shells!

Jamestown is but one of the many outstanding waterfowl areas in KS. Hopefully the rains will return soon so your marshes can recover and the hunting pressure can be reduced with more acres for the birds to use. It may take one than one wet year to bring the water back. The Bottoms and the Ark at Great Bend had not one drop of water this past November . Birds were reduced to using fenced in settling ponds that are used for sewage treatment. The later wheat harvest and some rain should help produce a better pheasant hatch. The return of some Chinese chickens should get some hunters out of the marsh and in the pheasant cover.

I am from GA and I visited KS as your guest for the last 3 years. In the 4 trips that I made I stayed 3-4 weeks each time and spent a lot of $$ on local motels, gas, stores, and restaurants. I averaged 1500 miles in KS per trip scouting and learning how and when the birds move through you state. I have enjoyed watching the birds and meeting some really nice people. I have hunted next to locals and asked to return to hunt with them. All my trips have been in November and December . Two shorter trips a friend was with me and the other times it was just me and my Lab. A welcome to return has been graciously offered by some newly made KS friends. I have never taken more than 2 possession limits and shot less than 2 boxes of shells for all my trips total . My main reason for returning to your great state is the art required to decoy and call birds to the X I put in my spread. It's a personal skills challenge not a killing field. So I drive 4500 miles each trip to watch and work some birds in different , but wonderful country. I respect the caretakers of your land and see their struggles with all types of weather throughout the year and how it affects the land.

Please remember unfortunately there are sky busting slob hunters in all states and some go out of state to prove their skills that do not exist. There are other travelers who live and breathe the ethics of all complete waterfowlers. I aspire to demonstrate those skills and being one of those who are respected for their times afield. I look forward to my return to KS for the 3 weeks before Xmas, just hope the big ice can wait til New Years. I know there will be new friends to be made when I return. Chuck Thompson
gaducman
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 am

Chuck,

Good post, I agree with you on all accounts. Please remember it's not the non-resident hunter that angers many of us, it is the blatent lack of responsibility our government officials and wildlife agencies have used in the recent years. It all started back with Mike Hayden, but has gone into overdrive with Brownback and the merger of KDWP and the dept of Tourism. An agency that was once responsible for the management and development of our outdoor resources has now become the pimp dept in an attemp to generate revenue for the state and special interest groups. A policy change many of us are VERY angry about.

Regards,

Anthony
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby gaducman » Wed May 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Anthony,
Nice to hear from like-minded people from a place that I now care so much about. Many government and wildlife officials from many states believe that they know much more than the public, who happens to pay for the check they bring home. They look at the public as a not knowing enemy. Some advance in decision making power from merit, while others are granted power by who they know. The reality is that they react to the support or opposition of organized groups. In SC everything changed for policy makers when the SC Waterfowlers Ass. was formed and their enrollment expanded. State officials now have an organized group monitoring changes and have someone to answer to. This group of dedicated hunters now have chapters all over the state, a summer camp for youth that gives sessions on waterfowl education, plus safe hunting instruction, and now have merged with NC so they could avoid beginner's growing pains. The time could be right for the people of Kansas if you do not have such an organization, to follow suit and start a group of your own to have a positive influence on all state policies that affect waterfowl hunting.

I hope my thoughts are helpful and provide others with similar concerns some ways to have their voices heard. Chuck :beer:
gaducman
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I was an active member of the California Waterfowl Association for years.
I believe a Kansas Waterfowl Association would be a VERY good thing.
mudpack
hunter

Postby gaducman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 am

Maybe you guys can start a new post on "Kansas Waterfowlers Association " you could start with our comments posted here.
That way it will get the attention it deserves. Go to the Ga forum ??? Seminole read my comments that I posted there about the failed attempts in GA and success in SC. I've spent some time with the founding ExDirector discussing what is needed to start one in GA. I will be glad to share if you guys & gals want to proceed on forming one in KS. Chuck
gaducman
hunter

Previous

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting