Perry Status

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Perry Status

Postby NC hunter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Talked to a buddy who hunted Perry this weekend and he said it was tough...... there was 16 cars in the west river parking lot by 4:30 AM and by legal alot more piled in only to find about 15 acres of water, he didnt fire a shot and didnt hear many compared to normal opening days- the ones he did see/hear were passing shots so he said......guys were spaced out on the limited water every 50 yards or so as per his report from Saturday and Sunday.......so to confirm/deny his report, we went scouting today...all of the normal marshes we hunt after the first two weeks are bone dry (not pumpable marshes) and the the two pumpable marshes were basically dry except for around the filling ditches....one of the two pumps (Kyle marsh) is broken and the other was off....the Delware is too low to pump and we heard a guy supposedly ran his boat up and got stuck in center chanel of the river- does anyone know if there is a plan to fill the marshes this year or is it a doubtful effort based on the drought conditions? I have never seen it so bad out there.......
NC hunter
hunter

Re: Perry Status

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:38 pm

West river is done pumping. They were allowed a certain amount of water due to drought and they have pumped all they can pump. The pump in Kyle east is in the shop and will not be repaired for awhile.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 am

NC hunter wrote:Talked to a buddy who hunted Perry this weekend and he said it was tough...... there was 16 cars in the west river parking lot by 4:30 AM and by legal alot more piled in only to find about 15 acres of water, he didnt fire a shot and didnt hear many compared to normal opening days- the ones he did see/hear were passing shots so he said......guys were spaced out on the limited water every 50 yards or so as per his report from Saturday and Sunday....

That is exactly the same thing we witnessed on the 2 areas we hunted opening weekend. Its been that way about everywhere from what I've heard. I don't see it getting better either.......with limited water this season its going to be crowded no matter where you go. I guess we can either get used to it, or find something else to do this season. I'm seriously considering deer hunting this year........I just hate trying to decoy ducks amongst a crowd. Pretty much ruins the experience...........for me anyways.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby jimmyash » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Had been scouting Perry consistently for about 3 weeks before the opener. Found a spot in WR, so my buddys and I decided to join the opening day ruckus. Arrived at 1245 to 5 trucks in the main parking lot and a campfire brewing in the spot we wanted on an island in the marsh. The group of 7 in that spot had opportunity after opportunity at ducks coming feet down; every flock that came in would receive a 21 gun salute. After talking with the fed warden, they had come out with 7 ducks(2 redheads, 1 gad,1 wigeon, 1 mallard, and 2 teal). Its always dissappointing to see 30 ducks come in, 21 shots fired, and 1 duck drop. I give 'em credit, they camped out in the marsh, just need to shoot a few clays and work on shooting distances. It was a typical opening day for the most part, one group gets to the right spot, and the rest of the groups get to watch.
I went out yesterday evening and threw a few decoys out and scouted with a gun. I can tell you the ducks figured out where the public marshes are. The only ducks I saw were migrators way up and a handful in the moonligh. Now only if we could get another nice cold front...
jimmyash
hunter

Postby NC hunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Well....I concur with the above reports....we went out today hoping the pressure died down and the ducks would cooperate.....got there at 0430 and two groups were in there already and the water my buddy hunted Saturday was 4 " lower than on Saturday, and we could see his marsh seat stand inprints in the mud (Saturday they were in the water)- but we had enough space to spread out with the limited water that is in the fill ditch......nobody fired a shot by 0930 and we saw a total of 4 ducks- none within the marsh- they were just flyin up the river- so we got bored and went lookin around- no water being pumped anywwhere out of the pump system and the river was even lower than last week.....sure wish hurricane Sandy would move it's butt over to KS, then we may get some relief.....until then, we are sticking to the main Lake and gonna check out the local Lakes that have some water and are holding ducks. Until then- I hope you all get some good huntin in and we will continue to scout/hunt until we run out of money for gas!
NC hunter
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting