What do you think?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

What do you think?

Postby Max4Holly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Maybe it's just me but I have noticed A LOT more people out hunting so far this season, many that I've talked to have said this is their first year duck hunting! What do you Y'all think is causing this intense increase in hunters? We all have been new at one point in time obviously but the lack of consideration , knowledge and respect by some of the people out there has far exceeded What I have seen in the past few years I have been serious about the sport. We were out hunting this past weekend and almost every time ducks would work our spread guys about 75 yards from us would shoot, almost as an attempt to flare ducks off of us!!! Obviously it's great that more people are taking a liking to waterfowling but not like this. Do you think the increase is tv shows is causing everybody to try and be duck commanders or do you think there is some underlying reason???? Interested to hear everybody's thoughts!
Max4Holly
hunter

Re: What do you think?

Postby TBS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Max4Holly wrote:Maybe it's just me but I have noticed A LOT more people out hunting so far this season, many that I've talked to have said this is their first year duck hunting! What do you Y'all think is causing this intense increase in hunters? We all have been new at one point in time obviously but the lack of consideration , knowledge and respect by some of the people out there has far exceeded What I have seen in the past few years I have been serious about the sport. We were out hunting this past weekend and almost every time ducks would work our spread guys about 75 yards from us would shoot, almost as an attempt to flare ducks off of us!!! Obviously it's great that more people are taking a liking to waterfowling but not like this. Do you think the increase is tv shows is causing everybody to try and be duck commanders or do you think there is some underlying reason???? Interested to hear everybody's thoughts!

Duck hunting is an "industry" these days. TV shows, DVD's, prostaff, stickers, YouTube, calls, and camoflage have made it popular and "cool" for the easily influenced youth of America. Not only that, but the motorized decoy has allowed poor and marginal hunters to bag limits of birds, even without basic waterfowling knowledge and skills. There are many reasons why we see more hunters these days. Weather and conditions are a major factor. Less access to private lands are another major factor more folks are using public wildlife areas. The agenda of KDWP$T is also contributing to the marketing of KS hunting to the rest of the nation in an effort to generate revenue. Duck numbers are estimated to be among the highest on record, although I personally discredit much of that as another tactic to keep the dollars flowing. There are less opportunities to pursue other game animals. Pheasant and quail numbers are lower than ever. It's a trend that doesn't seem to be losing momentum, and we are either going to have to deal with it, or find something else to do. Each year I come closer to the later. :no:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm

IMO its two things. First, the pheasant hunting is horrible compared to what it used to be. Years ago everyone grew up pheasant hunting and then a few guys here and there would pick up duck hunting after they got older. Now there is little reason to pheasant hunt unless you just want a long walk for exercise. You can find a few places that holds birds now, but overall its not very good.
More recently has to do with weather though. The last couple years have been so dry that the water is very concentrated and therefore so are the duck hunters. Im not sure if there are actually more of them or if they all go to the limited spots available. Nature is cyclical and the water will come back. My guess is when the water does come back that the duck hunters will spread out again and it wont seem as crowded.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Its going to be very crowded this year. It has not opened up in the SE zone yet but seems like every year gets worse and worse on the public marshes I hunt. I'm not going to give it up and if it gets to crowded I might start to hunt MO like I used to. The public marshes there they mostly limit the number of hunters and that means you might not get to hunt but at least if you do you will not have a guy 75 yards away from you skybusting at everything under 100 yards. That my options as I see it.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:34 am

Quakerattacker wrote:Its going to be very crowded this year. It has not opened up in the SE zone yet but seems like every year gets worse and worse on the public marshes I hunt. I'm not going to give it up and if it gets to crowded I might start to hunt MO like I used to. The public marshes there they mostly limit the number of hunters and that means you might not get to hunt but at least if you do you will not have a guy 75 yards away from you skybusting at everything under 100 yards. That my options as I see it.

Your comments reminded me of another reason I think we see concentration of hunters. By splitting up the zones and seasons, it forces hunters from all over into specific regions. The early zone gets hammered because its the only area open in October. Then in Jan, thousands of hunters flock to SE Kansas to hunt there because its the only area open. Good for guys with private access, but creates more competition for public access folks.

Just a side note......I read in the new DU magazine that the USFWS released its annual report that shows hunter numbers up by 10% in 2011. Another reason we see more hunters out there is because there are more hunters out there!
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am

Why are there newer uneducated hunters? 2 words, DUCK DYNASTY. I knew that was going the demise of duck hunting as we know it. It is on a cable channel that you dont have to pay extra for so now it is in the public eye a lot easier. I hate that show.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

the fowl life has come to the small town by me and duck season not even open. This town have very litter public hunting, and few waterfowl that I know. I just hope it stays that way. This guy at work is pissed just like me, we both know what it will bring.
cONG
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 am

cONG wrote:the fowl life has come to the small town by me and duck season not even open. This town have very litter public hunting, and few waterfowl that I know. I just hope it stays that way. This guy at work is pissed just like me, we both know what it will bring.

Sam they are invading like zebra mussells, pretty soon there will be a fowl life trailer in every marsh in the world. You know what to do if they are stepping on your turf, read my location! You might highlight that and read it in your google bar.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 am

Try having a guided take their clients to your local public spot! Then the next time they just freelance and you have twice as many hunters the next year! I've never seen the fowl life show or run into him. But Avery is like the plague in a couple areas I hunt!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cONG » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:32 pm

I know what you mean.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
cONG
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting