spent a few days in ks over the weekend...

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Postby jaker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 am

drove 18hrs out there, hunted 3 days and drove back. not much water, had to scrounge a little bit after the first day, but still killed 61 between 4 of us. figured it wasn't bad for some bama boys who had never hunted this particular part of ks. before. Don't take yalls duck hunting forgranted, I see a lot of people talking about how crowded it is, how bad its gotten, etc. I understand its gotten worse, but take a moment to appreciate what yall do have. :beer:

the ride was a little cramped...
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Re: spent a few days in ks over the weekend...

Postby TBS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 am

Congrats on making the best of very tough conditions. You are correct, we do have quite a bit to be thankful for here in KS. But, with that blessing comes the responsibility of protecting our opportunities. Some of us fear that we are losing it.

I've got a couple questions.......to satisfy my own curiosity. Did you stay in motels? If so, were they locally owned or large chains? Did you freqent any other local business'? If so, which ones? Other than your license fees which are about the cheapest in the nation, what other revenue did you and your buddies generate for Kansans?

To be clear, I'm not trying to criticize you in any fashion, just curious to know more about your trip. I appreciate any additional information you are willing to provide. My intention is only aimed towards learning more about the effectiveness of the tacticts the dept of tourism has implemented in our once great state.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:09 am

jaker wrote:drove 18hrs out there, hunted 3 days and drove back. not much water, had to scrounge a little bit after the first day, but still killed 61 between 4 of us. figured it wasn't bad for some bama boys who had never hunted this particular part of ks. before. Don't take yalls duck hunting forgranted, I see a lot of people talking about how crowded it is, how bad its gotten, etc. I understand its gotten worse, but take a moment to appreciate what yall do have. :beer:

Glad you had fun, however it is stated in the Fish and Game laws that possession is twice the daily bag limit, which means your possession should have only been 48. I have a hard time believing that you guys cooked and consumed the other 13 birds. Thanks for playing by the rules while in our state.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TomKat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:58 am

Were glad ya all came up. I hope ya all never come back, ya all here?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby jaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 am

to answer the first question, we did not spend a whole lot of money, I spent under $200 on license/gas/food. we camped. we are broke college kids, and do this wherever we go, so we really aren't a good representation of an oos hunter.

to answer the second question, get off your high horse buddy. :bow: We did eat more than enough birds, because we were trying to save money on packing food, and didn't bring much more than ramen noodles. Are you alwatys a douche? or you just do it when you have people come to your state? I guess you have never been on more than a 2 day hunting trip. theres probly not a person on this board that has completely followed that rule.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby DanJeffandJack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:08 am

Hey man. Glad you came up and I'm happy you had a good time. I too do a lot of traveling to other states to hunt.

Don't listen to these cranky ol kansans.

Glad you had fun. I know a thing or two about being a broke college kid and understand trying to do the trip for cheap.

Nice pics and thanks for sharing.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 am

T Man wrote:
jaker wrote:drove 18hrs out there, hunted 3 days and drove back. not much water, had to scrounge a little bit after the first day, but still killed 61 between 4 of us. figured it wasn't bad for some bama boys who had never hunted this particular part of ks. before. Don't take yalls duck hunting forgranted, I see a lot of people talking about how crowded it is, how bad its gotten, etc. I understand its gotten worse, but take a moment to appreciate what yall do have. :beer:

Glad you had fun, however it is stated in the Fish and Game laws that possession is twice the daily bag limit, which means your possession should have only been 48. I have a hard time believing that you guys cooked and consumed the other 13 birds. Thanks for playing by the rules while in our state.

Get over yourself. I gurantee 99% of the hunters I know exceed that. I've never ran into an jack wagon oos'er, but Wichita, Lawrence, K.C., Great Bend, Hays all the time. If they are willing to drive 18 hrs they are not there to sky blast and crowd the locals. It's all the fair weather candy arses who don't want to push season back cause it's cold :crying: that ruin hunts. You put in a side of guides using public lands,(i.e our tax money) to turn a profit, and you have screwed hunting conditions!!!!!! :boxing:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Texan1554 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:27 am

As some others have said, everyone blames the OOSERs but I guarantee the folks doing the real harm are the fair weather locals.

Happens everywhere, I hunt here on the Texas coast, around Stuttgart, and in northern KS/southern NE and see it all over.

Next time you got someone crowding you, go ask them where they're from.

The guys who put 1000's of miles on the truck chasing birds are not and have never been the problem.
Texan1554
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 am

jaker wrote:to answer the first question, we did not spend a whole lot of money, I spent under $200 on license/gas/food. we camped. we are broke college kids, and do this wherever we go, so we really aren't a good representation of an oos hunter.

This is the problem with OOS'rs, you are just like the majority of them. Most of them bring little to NO revenue to the state or local areas they are staying in. How this helps our economy, is beyond me. The only thing it did was create more pressure on already over-crowded limited public ground, in a yr that there is NO water in most of the public ground that is out there. I am glad you had a good hunt but aleast next time bring some money and spend it locally make the point that I have am hammering here wrong. You say you are broke college kids but look at those pics, you look like a bunch of future staffers with all the Drake gear you are wearing. I am not sure where you come from but drake isnt something that broke college students wear. Also the last I looked broke college kids didnt travel 18 hrs to hunt ducks when there are way more ducks and water closer to home. That doesnt sound broke to me. Yes I am on a soapbox, yes I do travel to MO once a yr to hunt snows, but I spend money there quite a bit to be honest. We are taking 9 guys this yr, I guarantee that everyone in our party will spend around $800-1000 to take this trip and more than 60% of that will be locally spent. Granted we arent "broke college students", but we are broke husbands and fathers.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby billythekid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 pm

The biggest issue I have with this whole post is that the guy in the old school camo needs to learn how to wear a hat! I can't stand seeing bumpkin's wearing their hats like that. :mad:
billythekid
hunter

Postby jaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:24 pm

duckdozer wrote:
jaker wrote:to answer the first question, we did not spend a whole lot of money, I spent under $200 on license/gas/food. we camped. we are broke college kids, and do this wherever we go, so we really aren't a good representation of an oos hunter.

This is the problem with OOS'rs, you are just like the majority of them. Most of them bring little to NO revenue to the state or local areas they are staying in. How this helps our economy, is beyond me. The only thing it did was create more pressure on already over-crowded limited public ground, in a yr that there is NO water in most of the public ground that is out there. I am glad you had a good hunt but aleast next time bring some money and spend it locally make the point that I have am hammering here wrong. You say you are broke college kids but look at those pics, you look like a bunch of future staffers with all the Drake gear you are wearing. I am not sure where you come from but drake isnt something that broke college students wear. Also the last I looked broke college kids didnt travel 18 hrs to hunt ducks when there are way more ducks and water closer to home. That doesnt sound broke to me. Yes I am on a soapbox, yes I do travel to MO once a yr to hunt snows, but I spend money there quite a bit to be honest. We are taking 9 guys this yr, I guarantee that everyone in our party will spend around $800-1000 to take this trip and more than 60% of that will be locally spent. Granted we arent "broke college students", but we are broke husbands and fathers.

well, thats your take on it, I'm actually the one wearing the hodgman waders, and gray pullover, I don't have any drake clothing. the other guys get drake half off through their dog guy, so it ends up bein as cheap or cheaper to go that route.

As to not many college kids being able to afford to drive 18 hrs. well your completely incorrect. almost anyone I know can afford to hunt as much as I do, and go on as many trips oos. The difference is, I budget all year long, and when it comes to ducks or women, I choose to stay in from the bars, and save my money while most go and blow 30 or 40 bucks a couple nights a week. And, theres not any good hunting closer right now. atleast not readily accessible public land. In another couple of weeks, yes arkansas, southern missouri, kentucky, oklahoma etc. will be open, but they weren't last weekend.

also to your reference of spending $800-1000 on one hunt every year, well thats your choice, I've got friends who do the same thing, they go on one or two hunts a year, and spend a ton of money. me personally, Id rather go on half a dozen hunts a year, and spend the same ammount. Its all in perspective. I spend the same ammount towards the communties where I duck hunt each year as others, I just spread it out quite a bit.

The rest of yall are spot on. The people willing to cram 4 deep in a nissan frontier ext. cab and drive 2100miles round trip are more than likely not the ones acting like azz hats. although it does happen. But kansas specifically in 5 years of goin out there, I've only seen 3 other oos groups, and the only stupid topwater bubbas I've seen have been locals. My thought on this, is that kansas hunting is fairly easy to go out and just kill a few ducks. I mean any body and their brother could go out and kill 4 or 5 ducks most of the time. This creates a lot of hunters with some very dillussional ideas of what it means to be a duck hunter. Back home your working extremely hard to regularly kill anything other than woodies, so it quickly separates the men from the boys. just my thoughts.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Jaker,
I dont think your a bad person. Just understand, I don't want anyone else hunting here. I pay property taxes here.

Its not you, its anyone. Nothing personal.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby duckschooler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Congrats bub, looks like you guys got on 'em.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm

We're all you guys out of state?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby DanJeffandJack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 pm

TomKat wrote:Jaker,
I dont think your a bad person. Just understand, I don't want anyone else hunting here. I pay property taxes here.

Its not you, its anyone. Nothing personal.

Seriously what does this have to do with anything TK?
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Looks like you guys got on them. Looks like Jamestown was nice to you. I know of a group of guys from Illlinois that are there right now pounding them. I hate FIBS.....Anyway I might have to make it down to GA to shoot your states only duck as payback.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 am

You guys getting bent out of shape about a bunch of young out of state guys coming to ks to shoot a few ducks is tired and lame. Get over yourselves.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:07 am

DJJ,
I said it wasn't personal. If I was ruler of the universe I would run everyone out of KS and keep it for myself. Now do u understand? If you don't know, you never will.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:08 am

Ecat
Are u or your family connected to a guide service that profits from OOS'rs? Or is it your buddy that owns that place by Jamestown?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DanJeffandJack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:51 am

EcatMagoo wrote:You guys getting bent out of shape about a bunch of young out of state guys coming to ks to shoot a few ducks is tired and lame. Get over yourselves.

X2

It's disgusting. It's not those four 20 yr old guys coming here that's the problem. This board should be ashamed of themselves.

TK, I guess you never hunted out of your home state? Oklahoma? Alaska? Missouri?

Ill be in 6 just this season hunting birds.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby champer196 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:16 am

EcatMagoo wrote:You guys getting bent out of shape about a bunch of young out of state guys coming to ks to shoot a few ducks is tired and lame. Get over yourselves.

On the other site these kids would have been threatened with tire slashing, castration, fire, and anything else that could have made them not want to come back. These guys have been relatively nice on here and I know some of you are over their as well.

But, this is why I can't stand these waterfowl forums anymore. So some kids come to KS, shoot some ducks on a budget and all of the sudden they are the anti christ. Who gives a rats crap!! So the next time some of you go to North Dakota, Arkansas, or Canada duck hunting I hope all the residents their MF you guys for being in their state, killing "THEIR" waterfowl, not spending enough money and pressuring already pressured birds.

I say good for these guys! Way to kill some ducks on the cheap!

For the rest of you, get your eyes back to their normal color because obviously they were green with envy. Some OOS'rs come to your turf and kill ducks under your noses. I think it's pretty damn funny myself.
champer196
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 am

DanJeffandJack wrote:

X2

It's disgusting. It's not those four 20 yr old guys coming here that's the problem. This board should be ashamed of themselves.

TK, I guess you never hunted out of your home state? Oklahoma? Alaska? Missouri?

Ill be in 6 just this season hunting birds.

Ok you spanked me. You win!

Sorry to all out of state hunters. DJJ made me ashamed of my self. Who wants to come here to hunt??

DJJ RIGHT, TK WRONG.

We all better now? Any more clarification needed?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby jaker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am

rmb79 wrote:Looks like you guys got on them. Looks like Jamestown was nice to you. I know of a group of guys from Illlinois that are there right now pounding them. I hate FIBS.....Anyway I might have to make it down to GA to shoot your states only duck as payback.

actually jamestown kinda sucked, did check it out one afternoon. but like I said, had to get a little creative to kill birds feet down in the decoys, which is the only fun way........

to the rest of you guys, I was mainly trying to raise some hackles. I can understand both sides of the argument. but I'll keep doing it my way, and keep killing birds. I'll be coming back out to yalls state here in about a month, if yall see a bearded hillbilly from alabama, killin the crap outa yalls ducks, come say howdy :beer:
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:31 pm

jaker wrote:
rmb79 wrote:Looks like you guys got on them. Looks like Jamestown was nice to you. I know of a group of guys from Illlinois that are there right now pounding them. I hate FIBS.....Anyway I might have to make it down to GA to shoot your states only duck as payback.

actually jamestown kinda sucked, did check it out one afternoon. but like I said, had to get a little creative to kill birds feet down in the decoys, which is the only fun way........

to the rest of you guys, I was mainly trying to raise some hackles. I can understand both sides of the argument. but I'll keep doing it my way, and keep killing birds. I'll be coming back out to yalls state here in about a month, if yall see a bearded hillbilly from alabama, killin the crap outa yalls ducks, come say howdy :beer:

Really? I thought you were some fun loving college age guys out on a lark.

Welcome to Kansas!!!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby dukhntr » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Glad you guys had fun and had a successful trip. F all the negativity that has accumulated on this thread. This KS board is full of a bunch of jerks anyways. One reason I rarely check in here. Bunch of a holes who thinks someone owes em something..... :mad:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting