Great day

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Great day

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:16 pm

After a great September teal season, hunting has been really tough. We had several decent October early zone hunts but its mostly been searching for birds and coming home with little to show for our efforts. Having Veterans Day off I decided to head west for three days of hunting.

Today was our best hunt of the year. We finished our limit around 11 with 7 mallards, 2 red heads, 1 pin drake, 1 shoveler, and the most beautiful widgeon I've ever shot, with a great little pin. The best part was we didn't see another duck hunter the entire day.

Hope everyone is having great hunts!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
EcatMagoo
hunter

Re: Great day

Postby quackattack1991 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Good for you guys. I got out today and shot 2 mallard drakes. Saw a bunch of ducks and had a bunch work, but the setup wasn't ideal. Got a ticket on the way out so we were late and it was kind of chaotic. Bunch of birds moving, lots of high flyers riding the wind south.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Good day for us, too. We waited until the rain passed and hunted in the PM. We killed a greenhead, widgeon, pintail, 3 GWT, and a hoodie.
radfordc
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:38 pm

nice jobs boys
cONG
hunter

Postby yellowflocker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Congrats
yellowflocker
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. :thumbsup:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Well here in the South East Zone I just watched them fly around not being able to damn thing about it. Ya you have to love Kansas.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Quakerattacker wrote:Well here in the South East Zone I just watched them fly around not being able to damn thing about it. Ya you have to love Kansas.

And this am the ponds were all iced over!! Gotta love that! With this week of cold the water wont take much to freeze completely even tho the days will get in the 50s every am there will be more and more ice.

Congrats to those that did well this weekend. See look we can all get along here and not be negative. :hammer:
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby dtcrimm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Congrats on everyone that got some birds yesterday... was pretty happy to see that cold front move through.

I really wanted to go out yesterday afternoon, but went and took a drive around a lake about lunchtime and saw trucks everywhere... was seeing a lot of ducks too though.

Planning on hunting a few mornings this week, and then taking next week off work and traveling back to my parents to hunt there. Am lucky enough to have some private river ground there to avoid the crowds on the weekends :)
dtcrimm
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Decided, at 5AM this morning, to go out by myself. Glad I did; by 8:30 I had four wigeon and a GW teal. Cold, crisp, clear, calm, a wonderful morning. All birds "in the decoys", close enough to be feet up when the echos died. Didn't see another hunter.
I have pics, but Photobucket is not working for me today..... :crying:
mudpack
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 am

Sunday was a good day to be out. Two of us had limit by 7:30 and shot 6 different species-mallard, widgeon, gadwall, gw teal, ringneck, and pintail.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

mudpack wrote:Decided, at 5AM this morning, to go out by myself. Glad I did; by 8:30 I had four wigeon and a GW teal. Cold, crisp, clear, calm, a wonderful morning. All birds "in the decoys", close enough to be feet up when the echos died. Didn't see another hunter.

Did you get photo bucket to work? Let's see those pics
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:21 pm

We also had a good day Sunday with the weather moving through. 3 birds short (bad shooting) of a 5-man limit. Mostly gadwall with some mallards and two widgeon mixed in.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Bill Herian wrote:If by "barrel stickers" you mean easy women, then yes, I fully endorse.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:
mudpack wrote:Decided, at 5AM this morning, to go out by myself. Glad I did; by 8:30 I had four wigeon and a GW teal. Cold, crisp, clear, calm, a wonderful morning. All birds "in the decoys", close enough to be feet up when the echos died. Didn't see another hunter.

No. I don't know what's going on, but I just get a message that the program is not responding. And it ain't!
I got the photos uploaded into 'Bucket, but I can't copy the IRL to send them. I click on it and nothing happens....
mudpack
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Went out yesterday morning to some public land and only saw 3 ducks the entire day. Killed two green heads out of the group, but it was slim picking. Great conditions, just no birds in the area. Looking forward to getting out a few more times this week to give it a shot.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:53 pm

mudpack wrote:
EcatMagoo wrote:

No. I don't know what's going on, but I just get a message that the program is not responding. And it ain't!
I got the photos uploaded into 'Bucket, but I can't copy the IRL to send them. I click on it and nothing happens....

Can't you just upload them to your hard drive and then to the forum?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 pm

I think i had my best hunt in 3 years last sunday... It was killer
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting