Do you keep records

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: Do you keep records

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Dec 21 Thursday 20° 1” of new snow! 30mph NW wind. Shoot time is 7:20. The roads are icy and the front axle isn’t locking in 4HI, so it takes a long time for Mark B. and me to get to ____ ____. No tracks in the snow, and we park. Go up to the same spot (as last Sat) and set out 18 mallards. Its 7:23 and we haven’t even gotten loaded up and a greenhead is over the decoys. By the time I get a shell in the chamber, he’s gone. Immediately a flock of wigeon come from the right and are landing in the decoys. I shoot but am not sure if any are down. (still dark) The next 20 minutes are chaotic! (no time to record) The Gold is not closing the bolt after the first shot, very stiff; I could have two birds if it was functioning…
7:25 A dozen mallards are just over the decoys from the right. 1 shot – miss. 2 shot out on the right – DOW floating close to the near bank. I pick up the mallard hen later. Mark drops a 30yard high suzie out of a flock of about 5 that go over even higher than the suzie. It floats down the pond, stopping at the dam.
7:30 Three mallards go downstream, turn and come back 20yards up over the decoys. 1 shot – miss. 2 shot – DOW in the snow in front of us. Mallard drake. Mark gets the other drake.
7:35 Half a dozen shovelers come right in from downstream. 1 shot – miss. 2 shot – DOW in the thin line of vegetation. Shoveler hen. I thought Mark dropped one also, but never found it.
8:30 Out of nowhere, a greenhead and a drake GW teal are on the water right in front of us. I stand up, Mark hasn’t seen them. I yell and wave my arms, finally the mallard jumps. 1 shot – down on the left, 2 shot – sluice, 3 shot – sluice. I rush up the bank and then down and pick up the mallard drake. It’s slowed considerably, and we decide to give it until 9:30.
9:20 Suddenly, three mallards are backpeddling right in front of us! I shoot at the drake on the left – DOW. Gun fails to go into battery, I rack it but Mark kills the second drake as the hen climbs to safety. Both mallard drakes are feet up in the decoys. That’s enough, we’re done! A fitting end, and another very sweet hunt at ____ ____. It’s windy and cold, but so very enjoyable with the snow on the ground. Mark recovers a greenhead that had fallen 80 yards to our right and and burrowed into the snow; blood and tracks in the snow gave it away. He's shooting very well this morning.
Mark: three greenheads, a suzie, a drake and hen wigeon. 11 shots fired.
Last edited by mudpack on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 pm

How'd you hunt Friday on a Thursday?
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:23 am

Oops. This week is all screwed up for me, day-wise. Thanks for pointing that out, doz.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:31 am

Hey I would of believed it if those were zombies instead of ducks that you were killin. haha. Thanks for sharing I enjoy reading these journal entries. mine aren't quite so detailed.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Mud pack,,,keep the journal entries coming. Love reading them. I'm going to invest in a voice recorder so I can start keeping a journal like yours. Once I do I'll post mine too. :clapping:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks, Magoo. Hope to soon read your entries...I enjoy hearing about other's hunts.
How about it, Pansie, would sure like to read your latest entries!
mudpack
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Did you get out today mudpack? I was expecting a lot of new birds to be in my area after the cold front, but I was wrong. Didn't see much at all this morning. Shot 2 drake gadwalls with 3 shots. Didn't shoot the gun again after that.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby Paul-andrew » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Wow guys that's down right impressive! Really good read, you've inspired me! I real like the details mudpack and pansie. Keep it up!
Paul-andrew
hunter

Postby duckguy7 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am

Yes I keep a spreadsheet. My journal entry for yesterday will be "fell on icy boat ramp, cracked my head on boat...was a little woozy. Beautiful morning. Got my butt kicked...no ducks. Got a couple good pics. Dog fell our of marsh boat and took layout blind with her. Still had fun."
duckguy7
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:55 pm

quackattack1991 wrote:Did you get out today mudpack?

No, not on Friday. Was planning to go this morning (Saturday), but woke up with the flu. :sad: My neighbor went with two other guys to the same general area, they got one duck. They did, however, say they heard significant shooting in the distance...so someone was on the X.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:20 am

Got to the boat ramp about 4:15 to meet friend. Put boat on River and headed up stream. Was very difficult to stay in the shallow river channel. Continually had to get out of the boat and walk it upstream and find deep enough water to run the boat. Eventhough it was 20 degrees we were sweating heavy when we decided to set up. Right at shooting time we were finally set up and in our lay out blinds. As I began to load my gun a flock of about 15 gwt zipped into the decoys from left to right. My partner missed on his first shot and dropped one on the second. Just as the dog handed the bird over a second flock of gwt buzzed from left to right in front of the decoys. I Hit the call once and they circled in front and came right into the spread. Two birds down both dead. Ten minutes later another flock of 10 gwt passed from left to right. Hit the call, they turned and came into the decoys from the right instead of the left as the other flocks did. All 10 or so landed in the decoys before I called the shot. As we sat up they flushed. I dropped two with the first shot and couldnt pick out another for a second shot. My partner killed one dead to the left. 8:00 and already 6 birds. 3 each. 4 of the 6 beautiful little drakes. About 8:20 a shoveler circled low and came right into the decoys. At this point I decided I would not wait for mallards. This past month has been a horrible stretch of duck hunting and I decided Id rather try to get a limit then wait and hope the mallards showed up and would decoy. Took the shot with the bird right off the water. Wounded on first shot. Clean kill on the water with the 2nd. Waited around another 4 hours but didnt get any more passes. Plenty of mallards flying high but nothing would look at us.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:18 am

Good work, Ecat! Both on the ducks and on the log.

Arent' you glad now, that you took that Hollywood?? :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 am

Not sense compact disc:)
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Kansie Pansie » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:39 am

Good reading gents! Thanks for sharing. I had some friends in last week and we knocked em out for 7 days. Awesome hunting, but still waiting for the big migration. We could use some new birds. Still catching up on family and work. I haven't even touched the Excel Log or the journal, but I do have notes on the Iphone.
Kansie Pansie
hunter

Postby Kansie Pansie » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:46 pm

My friends _____ and _____ were in town for a week of hunting. _____ picked us up and we headed to the 5 acre pond at _____ where we watched hundreds of Mallards pile in to the previous evening. I told them “this will be the best hunt of the trip”. We met ____ and ______ along the way. The SE wind was perfect for the pond and I loaded the small shallow inlet cove with 3 dozen Mallards, 1 dozen wigeon, 1 dozen pintail. As I was about to throw out the 12th pintail I thought to myself “if ducks can count, do they avoid spreads compromised of an even dozen birds?”. “Nahh”, as I threw the last decoy into the perfect position. We also set up 2 dozen full-body mallards along the bank. I overheard the others debating the age old question, “Do we set the layout blinds at the edge of the water of all the way up in the grass?”. I hastily answered the question by grabbing my layout blind and tossing it at the water’s edge. The pond level was down over 3’ and setting up in the grass meant adding at least 12yds to our shot. Besides, we have hunted with the layouts on mud time and time again, usually filling our limits. Furthermore, after watching the birds “dog pile” into this spot yesterday I think you could get a limit with a t-ball bat while standing in the decoys. The birds were hovering over the spread as we counted down the minutes. The Mallards worked perfectly during the first 30 minutes of light. Most groups consisted of 20-30 birds, from which we killed an average of 6. I was secretly hoping the large groups would bust up and decoy in pairs or triples. Secretly, only because the rest of the guys were drooling over the large, decoying flocks. I don't like educating large groups just to shoot the lead birds as they flare upward. As the morning progressed the groups got larger and made us work harder. It was evident they were heading to the nearby corn fields. They would pass several times before decoying or leaving. We saw a few groups with pintail and Wigeon mixed within the shining “greenheads”. One group in particular had a beautiful bull sprig weaving amongst the 20 Mallards. After a few whistles he took the lead and brought the group in with him. Needless to say that when they finally committed the Pintail was loaded up with steel shot from a few different boxes. This typically results in a bird that is in no condition to mount. “No big deal” I thought, “I mounted two last year and Pintail was not on the list for this year”. I still waded out to retrieve it, because ____'s young lab is pretty rough-mouthed and I hate to see the hard-to-come-by pintail made into a chew toy. In no time we were sitting on 30 Mallards and 1 Pintail. It was just after 8:00am; we decided to pack up early, as opposed to waiting on our bonus ducks. I was in favor because I knew these ducks were coming from __________ _____ and though we had seen 500 birds fly over the pond there were still 10 times that many that likely hadn’t even got up to feed. I knew that if we let the ducks have the pond back we could have a repeat hunt in 2 or 3 days; possibly even the next morning. We headed out to clean ducks and prepare for the next morning’s goose hunt.
Kansie Pansie
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:54 pm

hey kansie pansie ill just go ahead and give you my number now so you can call me when you hunt it next. haha. sounds like a hell of a hunt you take any pics!?
Thedozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks, pansie!! :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Kansie Pansie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 am

Thedozer, PM sent.
Kansie Pansie
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 am

Mud,
You need to clean and oil that gold with some breakfree! No more half azz cycling in that ole' girl! Been a great couple weeks here. I been posting on SGW, instead of here. kinda get tired of some of the smart azzzes all the time. A few seem to ruin it...lol
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:21 pm

I took it a completely apart, cleaned it, and oiled it with RemOil. :biggrin: Blew off the RemOil with 100psi shop air, and re-assembled it. It should be good for three or four hunts. I've noticed that the Gold is not as tolerant of being unclean as the Xtrema2 is. :sad: Oh, well, I just let it go too long between cleanings.
mudpack
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:43 pm

I sold my extrema 2 to get an SX3. I shoot the SX3 waaaay better, and miss my Ext 2. I know guys who never ever clean them and they go forever.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:12 pm

The Late Zone is open again!
Jan 19, 2013 28 ° Calm and clear. Shoot time is 7:14. Mark B. and I meet Tom B. at _____, Lower Parking Lot. Tom brings Taterhead, his young Choc Lab. Saw 400 mallards there yesterday morning when I scouted, so we arrive early: 4:15. Mark and I go on down to ____, Tom arrives just after we get our decoys out, sets out his, and we brush up our spots. I’m on the left, Tom in the middle, Mark on the right. We are ready with 1.5 hours to go……:). At 7AM, we start seeing many large groups of ducks dropping in just around the corner south of us; MANY. But, the water is like glass and our decoys look…like decoys. Not many birds seem interested, even though a ton of them fly over and land on the other side of the trees on the far bank (we find a small marsh over there when looking for a cripple later). Only three birds in the decoys before shoot time. 
7:20 a pair of mallards cup and drop in from the left, right over the decoys. 1 shot – down. Tom drops the other one right in front of us. Mine is lively and dives on Tater, seems to be gone, but they kick it up an hour later while looking for another bird., when it swims back across the pond and surfaces right in front of me and I pick it up; a smallish mallard drake.
7:24 a flock of “GW’s” rip in low over the decoys from the left. Snap shot rolled it up, landing on the far bank. When Tater gets it later, it’s a Ringneck Hen!! (so much for ID'ing early birds coming head-on from the east...!)
7:35 a small bunch, circles, then comes from the left over the top of us, 35 yards up. 1 shot – DOW near the bank to my right. Tater brings in the mallard drake. He's working good today; he's learning fast. Quite an improvement over last year!
7:45 a small flock of wigeon make several passes, the last is about 30 yards up, left to right over the decoys. 1 shot – DOW in the decoys to my right. Mark drops one out of this bunch, as well. Mine is a wigeon hen.
7:48 a single wigeon cups and drops from way out, it’s right over the spread when I stand it up with my first shot….then proceed to miss with my next two shots!! …as does Tom with two of his own shots. The bird flies away with steel in it, but apparently healthy, and we watch it fade off into the south. 
7:52 a small bunch of what I think are eight teal (again) rip behind us, go east, then back again, low over the spread. One shot – DOW in Tom’s decoys. Tater brings back another ringneck, this time a drake. I ask Tom why he didn’t shoot, since we all knew they were coming in…”Never could catch up” was his excuse. Mark didn’t shoot either; no shell in the chamber!
7:54 suddenly, there is a wigeon drake backpeddling over the decoys. One shot – DOW in the decoys. “Where did he come from??” is Tom’s only question. “I have no idea” is all I could say. That’s it; I’m done.
Tom needs one more, Mark two more. And the birds continue to fly….
From 8:00 to 9:45, we have birds in sight steadily. It might go 10 minutes without seeing anything, and just as we think the morning flight might be over, more ducks show up. All wigeon (what pretty noises they make!) and mallards.

At one point, Tom takes Tater across to the marsh on the other side to look for a greenhead that he sailed. He’s gone a long time, during which Mark gets his last two greenheads. When Tom gets back, we only need him to get one more bird for three limits. He isn’t in his hide more than two minutes when I coax a pair of mallards right over the decoys, the drake not 20 yards in front of him, cupped and hanging. Three shots later, both birds are boogying to the south and we are all speechless. HOW could he MISS???? All is well, because 10 minutes later, I sweet-talk a single greenhead into dropping almost straight down from 80 yards up, feet down and cupped, right into the spread. Tom can’t POSSIBLY miss this one. He fires. And misses! Oh, NO, not again….! But, he folds it cleanly with the second shot. We all laugh and congratulate him. We’re picked up, the obligatory photo ops are completed, and we are walking out at 10AM. We heard a few shots from the ___, one volley from below the ____, and one volley from ____ (after clearly hearing a dog whining from there well before shoot time….they should have had a HECK of a shoot this morning with all the birds we saw working there; wonder what the story was..) Shot 12 shells. We noticed that after the wind came up about 9:30, the birds worked MUCH better to the spread. Also noticed an immediate difference after Tom added some more brush to his hide…
Mark: 3 greenheads, 3 wigeon Tom: 4 greenheads, 2 wigeon (not a single hen mallard hit today!)
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Great hunt....great post :clapping:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 am

From the hunting log.

Where the mallards go….?!
Jan 24 Thursday 17° Overcast, wind at 15mph from the NW. I meet JB and Tom at the lower parking lot at 5:30. We go to _____. Tear down the blinds, and move them back under the trees, Tom on my left, JB on my right. Shoot time is 7:15. We see NOTHING until…
7:55 a flock of about 8 pintail (!) make two high passes over us. The third pass is from the right, up about 35 yards. I ask, “Shall we take ‘em??” JB says “Yeah!”. 1 shot – DOW, pintail drake. 2 shot – DOW, but JB shoots 1/100 second after. We "share" that second pintail drake. Tom didn’t shoot…thought they were too far. First pintails this year, only the second time we’ve ever gotten any here. Sweet.
Tom has to catch a plane, and has just cased his gun, preparing to leave, when…
9:50 Suddenly, there are gadwall and wigeon above us…two here, three there, flying all round the place.
1 shot – DOW, wigeon drake (imm). 2 shot – DOW, gadwall drake. JB drops one on the far bank. We walk out to the water’s edge to send Taterhead, and there’s another flock over us! They all flare off except for one which goes east, then turns and comes back 35 yards up. 1 shot – down hard on the water, going nowhere. Another gadwall, hen this time. We all laugh with Tom, since all he could do was watch. :)
10:10 three birds ome over us from the right. 1 shot – DOW. One shot from JB downs a second bird. Two nice gadwall, mine a gadwall hen, his is a nice drake.
11:00 a small, high group of mallards swings over us. We call and two drop out and come over 30 yards up, from the right. “Kill ‘em both, JB!” …and he does, with two nice shots. Mallard drake and hen. He’s done, and we wait another 30 minutes for my last bird, which never comes. We start picking up at 11:30. Walking back, we kick up several groups of gadwall/wigeon, and see a couple of mallards. Fired 7 shells somewhere (one was at a gadwall drake that appeared to be unscathed, but landed 100yards away after JB hammered his wingman at 50 yards). Good hunt, and we made the most of our opportunities.
I used my new Coleman headlight; it works okay... not great, but okay. It was COLD today; we all got cold; feet, hands, noses, etc. I’m glad I took four handwarmers. Did a WD-40 quick-clean of the Gold when I got home.
Tom: didn’t fire a shot JB: 3 gadwall drakes, pintail drake, two mallards

The last week was full of days like this one.... :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting