sluice record?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

sluice record?

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm

A post on another thread got me thinking. What is the most number of shells you've ever fired at a cripple on the water?

Myself: nine. (I did get the bird....) Talk about frustration........ :yes:

There was also one time in 2002, we were on the Great Salt Lake and half of it was locked in ice. I knocked down a pintail drake, which fell on ice 1" thick. I took off after it, and he took off walking across the ice. When I got to the ice,I tried for about 30 feet to break through, to get closer, but he was gaining on me; now out to about 50 yards. I fired the three rounds in my gun, and the three in my coat pocket, but to no avail. When we left, we could still see him half a mile away, walking on the ice. I still hate that feeling, even today, when I think about it.
If we'd had the airboat close, we'd have gotten him. But, it was parked 200 yards away, on the other side of a dike. :sad:
mudpack
hunter

Re: sluice record?

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Hmm, not sure the answer to this one. I don't keep track of my shots on cripples. Do you count shots on cripples against your shooting percentage?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 am

EcatMagoo wrote:Hmm, not sure the answer to this one. I don't keep track of my shots on cripples. Do you count shots on cripples against your shooting percentage?

I do because it means you didnt make a clean shot the first time.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:46 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:Hmm, not sure the answer to this one. I don't keep track of my shots on cripples. Do you count shots on cripples against your shooting percentage?

If it's my cripple, sluicer shots count against the total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:09 pm

I do not count cripple shots for the following reason. if im shooting skeet and I chip a clay target it counts as a hit. Therefor bringing down a duck also counts as a hit.

Okay...another records question. Hunt location A in the morning. Break for lunch..location B in the evening, is this recorded as 1 hunt for your birds per hunt avg or is this two separate hunts?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Just one hunt Ecat (IMO), because technically you can only shoot one limit.
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 am

Whatever happened to enjoying the hunt, enjoying the day out in the field with friends, family and the dogs. Oh wait, I have to take my calculator with me, my 5k work of gear, then sit and over analyze why I'm not shooting 0.000001 percent better on the ducks and geese. Then when I get home, I'll over analyze why I'm not 0.0000005 percent better on my bird averaage.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 am

goodkarmarising wrote:Whatever happened to enjoying the hunt, enjoying the day out in the field with friends, family and the dogs. Oh wait, I have to take my calculator with me, my 5k work of gear, then sit and over analyze why I'm not shooting 0.000001 percent better on the ducks and geese. Then when I get home, I'll over analyze why I'm not 0.0000005 percent better on my bird averaage.

If taking record of your hunts gets in the way of your enjoyment then you shouldn't do it. If it adds to your enjoyment then you should do it. It doesn't take extra gear to keep track of how many times you shoot and what species you harvest. :wink:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 am

goodkarmarising wrote:Whatever happened to enjoying the hunt, enjoying the day out in the field with friends, family and the dogs. Oh wait, I have to take my calculator with me, my 5k work of gear, then sit and over analyze why I'm not shooting 0.000001 percent better on the ducks and geese. Then when I get home, I'll over analyze why I'm not 0.0000005 percent better on my bird averaage.

:thumbsup: I can see how keeping track of the weather, wind, and location could help you, but the rest seems like a chest beating contest.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby sarjrr » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:25 am

A few years ago I fired twice at a ringneck to down it then shot another 6 times at it on the water (finally got it). It kept diving right when I pulled the trigger. Funny now, but really frustrating then.
I do count finishing shots on the water in the total.
Btw-keeping track of shots isnt chest beating. It can give clues to maybe changing chokes or brand of shells or size of shot that works best in the field as opposed to only on paper. Getting all those things right adds to the enjoyment of the hunt.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 pm

007 wrote:Just one hunt Ecat (IMO), because technically you can only shoot one limit.

That's the way I see it, too. It's one day of hunting, regardless if I move down the pond at mid-day, or move across the county.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting