Duck Hunting Forum banner

I'm in mourning

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  CBRS 
#1 ·
As you all know this year has really been a challenge with the drought. With a lot of work I have managed to keep my bird per hunt average close to normal but am feeling tired of the struggle. I have 3 or 4 places I typically hunt during November/December but this year they are bone dry. these places are off the beaten path and even though I do run into some other hunters there I can obtain a feeling of isolation I have yet to experience this year. I miss those places more than I actually miss the hunting there. I miss the simple day to day idea that they exist and are full of water and probably ducks. One thing I know for sure is if we get heavy spring rains and they fill up with water I'm going to be there decoying ducks and loving life.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
wanapasaki said:
lol, land's cheap right now, people need it gone with cash in their pockets. You'd be suprised
LOL? If a thousand dollars/acre before planting, cutting, and flooding is cheap to you, then I want your job. Want to send me a few hundred just to cover my gas for the rest of the season?

Ecat, I feel your pain. I have worked harder this year then any year since I have been hunting and am averaging right over 2 ducks per hunt right now. That number is somewhat tainted due to a lack of scouting in some areas, but the results are still sad. It's a long cry from my all time best season in 08-09

#8 ·
wanapasaki said:
Sounds like you need to buy your own field, and cultivate it for season. Im getting to that point myself.
Really? You must be different than just about anyone else on here. Crappy pasture with a pond on it will go for at least $1500 an acre so for a tract that is 80ac you are talking $120k. Sure it would be nice to have, but I dont know of many guys on here that can afford that. $1500 an acre might be a deal compared to where you are, but that sure doesnt mean its cheap.

#11 ·
some of you guys complain to much. While the drought is causing havoc its these temps that are keeping the ducks from moving as well.

if you guys arent shooting anything, either start scouting, or change your scouting techniques.

times like these separate the men from the boys.

#12 ·
quackattack1991 said:
LOL? If a thousand dollars/acre before planting, cutting, and flooding is cheap to you, then I want your job.
I wish I could find suitable land that cheap. A month ago, I attended an auction of marginally-ducky land, 33 acres not far from here. It went for $3040/acre; $100,000. Needles to say, I dropped out of the bidding early.

I'm in mourning, too. No water, almost no waterfowl. At least I'm not seeing three other parties when I go out.....

#13 ·
mudpack said:
quackattack1991 said:
LOL? If a thousand dollars/acre before planting, cutting, and flooding is cheap to you, then I want your job.
I wish I could find suitable land that cheap. A month ago, I attended an auction of marginally-ducky land, 33 acres not far from here. It went for $3040/acre; $100,000. Needles to say, I dropped out of the bidding early.

I'm in mourning, too. No water, almost no waterfowl. At least I'm not seeing three other parties when I go out.....
LOL atleast theres a bright side to your story mudpack. It won't stop raining here. Roads are flooded :eek:

#14 ·
n2ducks said:
some of you guys complain to much. While the drought is causing havoc its these temps that are keeping the ducks from moving as well.

if you guys arent shooting anything, either start scouting, or change your scouting techniques.

Hmmm, can't seem to find a single comment on this thread where anyone said they weren't shooting ducks. How did you get that from the above comments?

#15 ·
Buck up lil' buddy there's no crying in hunting. Weather conditions haven't been kind I know, but that's why they still have cars and gas. Just got to find a different hole. Frustrating not finding water or birds? YES. Mourning over the lack there of? It's hunting bub......not the loss of a loved one. Could always take up a new hobby? This may be my last year of strong waterfowling before entering the world of work and moving off away from home but I'm not mourning over it. Like I said it's hunting man, hunting.

#16 ·
n2ducks said:

That means I will have to quit reading this forum, and I am not about to do that!!! :lol: :hammer: :hammer: :grooving: :beer:

#18 ·
I had a tuff time last year and this year is starting off worse than last year. I do not have the time to scout anymore like I used to. But I have hunted the same places for many years and always kill birds. I have one pond I hunt that produced decent last year close to a refuge and this year killed one duck both times out there. Water level is the same I cannot figure it out. The weather isn't helping at all. I have seen enough ducks around to know there are some to hunt. Hoping it gets better in the next few weeks. I just came back from Central Kansas and I can say that some of the watersheds still had water in them but no ducks. I did see one that had about 3k geese. I would have thought that there would have been birds on most of them, just not the case. Weird year and I'm sure some guys are still killing some just not happening for me.

#19 ·
Quakerattacker said:
I have one pond I hunt that produced decent last year close to a refuge and this year killed one duck both times out there. Water level is the same I cannot figure it out.
I'll give you a hint: drive through that refuge.

Last year we were in a severe drought in Central Kansas, but the two large refuges held enough water to keep the ducks and geese here.
The main difference between last season (when I killed a record number of birds) and this season (when I will be lucky to kill 20% of last year's numbers) is that the refuges have no water this year.
You needn't wonder any longer why there are but a tiny fraction of the ducks here, even if your private pond still has water.
All the water-holding private ponds in the state don't contain enough water/feed to make up for the loss of the refuges. The birds just aren't sticking around.

#20 ·
To date my season is horrible. After the weekend my average finally plummeted below 1.5 birds per hunt. That said, I am still holding out hope. My season will be made or broke in the days after christmas. With the new SE zone I will have more time and more area to hunt when the temps get low. Hoping my patience and perseverence pays off when the weather finally does plummet, which it will, and everyone else stays home. Bring on the cold!

#21 ·
I admire you for your optimism, quack, but the reality is this: there are no ducks in Kansas (relatively speaking, of course) because there is no water in Kansas (relatively speaking, again). Unless we get precipitation in Biblical proportions soon, nothing will change for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Cold will not bring/hold ducks. Only water will.

#22 ·
mudpack said:
Quakerattacker said:
I have one pond I hunt that produced decent last year close to a refuge and this year killed one duck both times out there. Water level is the same I cannot figure it out.
I'll give you a hint: drive through that refuge.

Last year we were in a severe drought in Central Kansas, but the two large refuges held enough water to keep the ducks and geese here.
The main difference between last season (when I killed a record number of birds) and this season (when I will be lucky to kill 20% of last year's numbers) is that the refuges have no water this year.
You needn't wonder any longer why there are but a tiny fraction of the ducks here, even if your private pond still has water.
All the water-holding private ponds in the state don't contain enough water/feed to make up for the loss of the refuges. The birds just aren't sticking around.
This. Last year was my first year hunting central ks and I was blown away with the amount of ducks compared to eastern ks (earlier in the season at least). This yr I pumped ponds and have shot 1 duck off of it, when I shot well over 150 last yr off the same pond. Even the private water the birds rooster on are virtually dry, let alone quivira or the bottoms. My only hope is that the geese don't need marshes since they can feed in ag fields (scarce as well), and hoping the late season mallards follow suit. Goose season has been ok, ducks has been just awful and not expecting it to pick up anytime soon.

#23 ·
Good evening, well try being a newbee here in central kansas in the year of the drought!!!!

Just moved down from AK, no I'm not military.
Been working my tail off and having some decent duck shoots from time to time but its all on public land.
Havent gotten into any geese yet which is killing me I have a barn full of goose decoys but am not seeing much.

Anyway, good to be in Kansas, enjoy fowl hunting in Nov/Dec in short sleeves!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.