Good news for Cheyenne Bottoms!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Good news for Cheyenne Bottoms!

Postby Captain16 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:24 am

Got to work this morning and was reading the Wichita Eagle online and one of the headlines read "Cheyenne Bottoms is a Wetland area again"! Man, did that bring a big smile to my face. Even though I have never hunted there, it's great news to hear that they have received quite a bit of rain the past week and actually weeks. They also said as well as Cheyenne that Quivira got some much needed rains as well. I guess just west of there they got around 8 inches of rain and it's helping tremendously. I guess all we need is a bit more rain everywhere else and some birds! :thumbsup:

Link to the story!

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/15338096.htm
Captain16
hunter

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:42 am

All I can say is :salude: :thumbsup:
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby porochi » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:17 pm

Cheyenne Bottoms is a great place to hunt (speaking from experience, used to live near there) but avoid it on weekends. Best time is mid-week. I've had some pools all to myself on weekdays late into the season, especially after pheasant season opens. Pressure gets lighter.
porochi
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Porochi is right. During the week it is great, but don't dispare if you can't make the weekday hunt. When pheasant season kicks in and the water temp. drops the fair weather hunters stay home and the big ducks come out and play. Also, it is kinda cool to hear all the guns going off opening day. Sounds like total kaos.
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:31 pm

My first time out ever, was on opening day at the bottoms!! I thought I was going to be killed all the shot landing around us and nonstop firing for about 2 hours. Good place to hunt, some good scouting can help out a lot too, its hard to find your way around out there in the dark.
Riverjumper
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting