The New Guy In Town

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

The New Guy In Town

Postby wigeon1040 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Hey guys,
I just moved down here from Michigan for work, I am a die hard waterfowler and have no idea where to go and haven't meet any hunting buddies yet. I moved into the Lenexa,KS area from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan so it has been a big change. Any ideas of public areas to check out for a place to kill some birds would be more than appreciated.

Thanks
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:03 am

:welcome: Wigeon. Glad to see another KS hunter on here. The only place I have ever hunted in the KC area was at Hillsdale Lake down south there. I here Clinton has great waterfowl hunting, but being so near to the city expect some big crowds. That is the only drawback of hunting near the big cities. I know we have some great guys in the KC area on here that will definately give you some suggestions on some places to get out and get some birds. Welcome to KS! :salude:
Captain16
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:44 pm

Welcome to kansas city. There are quite a few places to hunt just takes a lot of scouting to find some away from pressure.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Wigeon1040,

So you're a yooper eh? I recently moved to Overland Park, from Wisconsin (Green Bay) for work. You didn't by chance go to Michigan Tech did you? I'm in the same boat you are.

I also heard Hillsdale is a place to go, but I guess it gets a lot of pressure. I travel to Great Bend for work and understand the Cheyenne Bottoms area is a good place to hunt, depending upon water of course. I also "found" some promising places between Lyons and Hutchinson.

Have you ever shot at Powder Creek in Lenexa. That place has been a regular weekend spot for me. They have a good clays course and several trap stations.

Let me know if you want to shoot sometime. Welcome to Kansas and Go Packers.
rmb79
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:50 pm

rmb 79,
Yeah I did just graduate from Michigan Tech it was a great place for duck and goose hunting I am actually goin to be going back up there for the duck opener. As for the offer to go and bust some clays I would most definitely be down to go and do that. If you want e-mail me your number and I'll get ahold of you. my e-mail is njmatthy@mtu.edu
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:21 pm

Wigeon,

Check your PM. Let me know if the message went through.

Talk to you later,

Ross
rmb79
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Ross,
For some reason it didn't go through, you can try again if you want, I will try to send you a PM.

Nate
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby bigjonks » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:21 pm

Hey how's it going??? great to see another person from michigan down here in kansas. I'm living in manhattan and I'd love to go hunting with some of you guys if you ever get a chance I'm looking for people to go with hope your enjoying it
bigjonks
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:46 am

:welcome: Big Jon....you must be another K-Stater! Go CATS!!!! Yeah, I think we are going to get another KS forum group hunt going this year. I know we had one last year and hopefully we can all get together this year and get one or two or three hunts going. Welcome again to the forum!
Captain16
hunter

Postby ksubigbuck » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:57 am

Sho' Yo' Purple Pride! Go Cats! Yeah, I definitely wanna try to do a forum group hunt this year. Unfortunately I missed last year's hunt. BTW, I live within 10 minutes or so of you guys. Over in Bonner Springs. Shoot me an email if you want to shoot some clays, dove, ducks, geese, whatever. huntersargent@gmail.com
ksubigbuck
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:09 pm

Hey bigjon,
Where abouts in Michigan did you live, I moved from the UP although I grew up near GR.

As far as the forum hunt goes keep me updated on when and where.
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby porochi » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Welcome to Kansas! Kansas is a well-kept secret among die hard waterfowlers. This state offers some great duck / goose hunting. Our specialty is our prarie marshes. Many of these are public lands, such as Cheyenne Bottoms, Quivera, Marias Des Cygnes. And many of our reservoirs have managed marshes on a smaller scale that can be productive.

While you can certainly go "big-time" on some of these marshes with your marsh boats with pop-up blinds and go-devil motors, you can have as much success with a pair of waders and a decoy bag with a couple dozen (or less) dekes. Just wade out there, toss out the dekes, sit in the weeds and get ready! That's my preferred method. I drag along a MO-JO these days as well. Since you're new to the area, check out the KDWP website for details on some good public areas. If possible, hit em during the week, avoid the weekends. See you on the marsh!

porochi
porochi
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks for all the help and suggestions and good luck on bagging some birds this season.
wigeon1040
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting