ok guys an gals lets hear how ya like your doves cooked up

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

ok guys an gals lets hear how ya like your doves cooked up

Postby hunter20046667 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:00 pm

its almost time to make some dove snacks ,,,,4 days and a wakeup. :yes:
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 pm

I found this on another site. Sounds similar to duck poppers so it should be good. I would imagine that you could substitute peppers inplace of the onions.

Dove Bites in the Goose Blind

~ dove breasts
~ bacon
~ teriyaki sauce
~ beer
~ green onions, cut into 2" - 3" pieces
~ garlic powder
~ toothpicks

Fillet meat off the breastbones. Wash well and remove all shot.

Cut bacon slices in half. Place a piece of onion on each breast and wrap with the bacon. Secure with toothpicks.

In a bowl, mix together equal amounts of teriyaki sauce and beer.

Place the wrapped breasts in a bowl and cover with the teriyaki sauce mixture.

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the marinade. Sprinkle with garlic powder.

Grill over medium-high heat until bacon is cooked. When bacon is done, dove is done.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:46 pm

to much troble i just give my dove away
cONG
hunter

Postby webfeet » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:28 am

use this one and everyone will love doves; marinade in italian dressing for half a day; wrap with bacon (i use procsuitto); hold in place with toothpicks or something; throw them on the grill and sit back while everyone revels at your gourmet mastery. cong if your giving them away your missing out on one of the tastiest little critters there is. :salude:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:48 am

I was going to say, Cong if you need to get rid of some send them my way. New baby in the life, probably not going to get any dove in before they head further south! :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Postby webfeet » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:22 am

heres to your new family captain,congratulations, dove seasons will always be there, if you do want to go for an hour or two let me know, i think we're both in SG county, i have a few spots close, hope mom and baby are well :salude:
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:30 am

I actually might take you up on that. I have only been dove hunting twice and I got one last year, but couldn't end up finding it! :thumbsdown: It was fun to go out though and get some shooting in. I would love to go get me a few though.

Mom and baby are doing great. He has his days and nights mixed up so we get to pay the price at night, but hey, things could be worse. We take turns, so it turns out not to be too bad. I need to get some pics of him posted up. We are enjoying the great weather with him too. Even saw a group of 9 ducks flying over yesterday, getting me really pumped up.
Captain16
hunter

Postby cONG » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:14 am

come on down i give you all the dove you wont
cONG
hunter

Postby ksubigbuck » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Put some cream cheese and a jalepeno on each peice of breast then wrap in bacon. Hold it all in place with a toothpick, then throw it on the grill. Cook until the bacon is done, then enjoy. Do not over-cook it. Super tasty! The cream cheese and jalapeno make the meal.

Hunter
ksubigbuck
hunter

Conrgats, Cap'n!

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:31 am

Captain, CONGRATS on your new arrival! My first dove went on the grill yesterday for a little Labor Day cookout, along with a serious freezer purge that included mallard, canada goose, pheasant, a deer tenderloin, walleye, crappie, and some whites (I feed those to the kids, my wife can sniff out a white bass every time... only crappie and walleye for her)

you guys hungry yet?

Dove need little more than some soy or terriyaki, bacon and a grill. GOOD STUFF. When I was a kid, my mom did something - I'll have to pin her down ion it and post it - but she would fry it and serve it with a gravy that started with cream of mushroom. I miss my Mamma's cooking sometimes...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:23 am

Thanks Puddle. Yeah, I know what you mean with the white bass thing. My wife will eat it, but she does prefer crappie, walleye too. I have found that if you cut out most of the blood vain in the whites that runs through them, they can be pretty decent.

Sounds like you could have had a KS forum cookout yesterday, wow, sounds like some good stuff. I have seen quite a few doves around here in Wichita, but kind of hard to get them in the middle of town. Hopefully I can get out before they all head outta here. I asked the wife and she said I could go sometime this week, now I just have to pick out a day.
Captain16
hunter

Postby webfeet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:22 pm

puddlejumper, i know the exact ly what your talking about my mom used the same recipe for rabbits, bread whatever critter your eatin in flour, melt butter in pan, brown the critters on all sides, add about half cup of chicken or game stock (or chicken bullion), cover and simmer about 40min, put the meat in a heated dish and keep warm, stir in cream of mushroom soup and enough stock for desired consistancy,some salt and pepper, bring to boil and serve over critters. this might be my favorite game recipe. i gotta go eat!!! :getdown:
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting