Runnin Traffic in the Snow

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Runnin Traffic in the Snow

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Well the time was right . The geese had finally arrived in force and the weatherman had brought us the goose hunters friend , SNOW. Snow it seems definitely swings the advantage to the hunter, it allows us to essentially disappear in the whiteness. . We had to run traffic because the farmer had chosen to plant beans again this year. I`m sure the high price per bushel had influenced his decision . The field we hunted is huge and flat as a pancake with no cover, but it gets a lot of goose traffic over it so we gave it a go.
It was almost nine before we started seeing any goose activity ,I`m sure the temperature hovering at 10 degrees had held them on the roost a little longer than normal. We couldn't have asked for anything better as groups of geese started showing up in an almost steady procession . It quickly became evident that the birds liked our offering . We were afforded that rare luxury of picking your shots. I had a few firsts on this hunt . First hunt of 2013 , first time out using my new decoy trailer and the first time out to try the remote control flaggers I built from wiper motors . All three worked out well . We had a great hunt today I hope you did too.

http://youtu.be/YvIEnyCaFZg
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Re: Runnin Traffic in the Snow

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 am

Nicely done.... :thumbsup:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

Went out on New Year's morning, in 4" of fresh snow and 18ยบ temps. Had open water and the place to ourselves. Only problem: no ducks. Had one flock of five mergansers over us early. That's it. Never pulled a trigger. It was pretty out there, though...... :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Nice job John. That dog is not the one I met is it?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice work John. We had a decent start to 2013. Hunted a neat river spot. Saw quite a few ducks they just didn't want to work right. We scratched out 9 though. We did have a bald eagle do a fly by at about 20 yards. That was pretty cool.
Attachments
image.jpg
cyoung24
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm

TomKat wrote:Nice job John. That dog is not the one I met is it?

No TomKat that is my buddy Mike`s dog Lizzie . She is small and some of those big geese were all she could handle,but she got the job done . Here is a pic of Titus the dog you saw, doing what he does best .
cyoung24 wrote:Nice work John. We had a decent start to 2013. Hunted a neat river spot. Saw quite a few ducks they just didn't want to work right. We scratched out 9 though. We did have a bald eagle do a fly by at about 20 yards. That was pretty cool.

Nice going Chris. I love to hunt the river . It`s definitely the place to be right now.
Last edited by John O`Neal on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 am

I have seen a ton of eagles the last two weeks. Swans, Kingfishers, a flock of mergansers...and lots and lots and LOTS of geese.

John your boy is a nice dog, I bet he ends up being a first rate hunter.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cbass12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 am

TomKat wrote:I have seen a ton of eagles the last two weeks. Swans, Kingfishers, a flock of mergansers...and lots and lots and LOTS of geese.

John your boy is a nice dog, I bet he ends up being a first rate hunter.

I saw a flock of about 20 swans around Gardner yesterday. They were the first swans I've ever seen!!!
cbass12
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 am

I see them on the river every winter
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Quakerattacker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:53 pm

The best hunts I have ever had were in the snow. Couple years ago we were lucky and had a lot. The way the wind was blowing it piled it up in the water way and uncovered part of the wheat. We dug ourselves "Man Caves." We were able to set on our hunting buckets wearing white and be level with edge of the field. We just put a beat down on the geese for 3 days straight. The best day was the second we killed Our Canada's of course and 5 Whitefronts and some Snow geese. It was blowing snow and they were right in our face.
Attachments
0209111318.jpg
Quakerattacker
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting