New to waterfowl

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

New to waterfowl

Postby Cannon1103 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 am

Hello all, stationed at ft Riley. Few buddies talked me in to going duck hunting with them and now I'm hooked. Still not sure what I'm doing lol but I'm trying to learn as much as possible, any info or advice would be great. Thanks in advance and hope y'all had a great season
Cannon1103
hunter

Re: New to waterfowl

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:14 am

Want to learn all you can about duck hunting?

Go on Amazon and search "duck hunting". Buy the how-to books. Read them. Read them again. Stay tuned to forums like this; they are a great source of good information (and a fair amount of BS, too).
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:17 am

Welcome to the site. :welcome:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

New to waterfowl

Postby Cannon1103 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks, and will get some good reading material.
Cannon1103
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Man! I get a warm, fuzzy feeling everytime I read one of these replies to these kind of posts! LOL
"Western Extreme Waterfowl" Making memories,one shot at a time!
Precision waterfowl calls pro staff
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

New to waterfowl

Postby Cannon1103 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Why is that splash?
Cannon1103
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 am

Just an observation I've made over the last few months, Cannon, nothing about you at all.
Have a great time out there, waterfowling is addicting! You have any questions, P.M. me, and Thak you for your service. People sometimes tend to forget it's people like you that keep our country safe
so we can do the things we love to do!
"Western Extreme Waterfowl" Making memories,one shot at a time!
Precision waterfowl calls pro staff
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Postby satguy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 am

The best way is to start out small. Get a call. A resonable good sounding call is a Buck Gardner double nasty. Cost around $20. Find a good blind bag. As for decoys, find a brand that is good quality and buy a couple dozen and build on that. I recommend super magnum mallard decoys as 2 dozen looks like 3 out there. You can also make your own texas rig decoy anchors by using weedeater line and 5 oz slip weights. My 2 cents. My daughter headed back to FT. Jackson yesterday to finish basic and then on to Ft. Benning for OCS. Thank you for your service and you can also PM me as well if you have any questions. :welcome:
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 pm

buy a dr-85 the best duck that is the cheapest, and works awesome. I would buy some cheap GHG hotbuys and clear coat them with 1311 krylon matte finish. You can find it at wal-mart if you go to the right one. The paint on the ghg will start chipping off, after one year. Buy some green wing teal decoys for a mix spread.Than I would buy a baby mojo, and make a homemade jerk string. If you have more money, buy a layout blind, I like the backpack ones. You can kill ducks with just a mojo and water decoys, hunting a field. The mojo is the key. A decoy sled is very nice to have too.
cONG
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

You don't need a call, or a blind bag, or decoys (although they will add to your enjoyment), or a mojo, or a layout blind, or a boat, or a $4M lodge, or anything but a gun, some shells, a license, and A PLACE TO HUNT!
If you are in the right place at the right time, you will get shots at ducks. All you need to do is scout and find where the ducks want to be, then wear drab clothing, hide in the natural vegetation, don't show your face to the ducks, and don't move until they are WELL within range.
You won't know what to do with the call anyway...not for awhile...and won't have a need for all the extraneous gear we accumulate over the years. Enough time for that later. You just need to get the fundamentals down first. First thing to buy is half a dozen decoys. Doesn't matter what kind, what brand, what specie, what shape. Cheap as possible, because you'll be buying hundreds of dollars worth every year for the next 10 years.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting