Mined Land decoy rigging

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Mined Land decoy rigging

Postby T Man » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I am looking for people with any experience rigging decoys to hunt the strip pits in south east Kansas. When our shallow water locks up the birds move to the deep water, which can be anywhere from 5-60+ feet deep. I am going to try running long lines, but if anyone has come up with a technique for rigging puddler rafts in deep water I would be interested in seeing how youve done it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Mined Land decoy rigging

Postby Quakerattacker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:09 am

I thought you said they were 80' deep?
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am

Eighty feet should qualify as 60+ feet.... :biggrin:

Can you run long lines bank-to-bank?
mudpack
hunter

Postby westksbowhunter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Trout pit was 77 feet in one spot I found on my graph. Most not that deep though. In the 30's and 40's. Usually the pits have a shallower cove the duck congregate in. I hunt the pits exclusively and just use 8 ft lines.
westksbowhunter
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 am

westksbowhunter wrote:Trout pit was 77 feet in one spot I found on my graph. Most not that deep though. In the 30's and 40's. Usually the pits have a shallower cove the duck congregate in. I hunt the pits exclusively and just use 8 ft lines.

This year I have seen them rafting up right in the middle of pits, especially when we had the freeze up a few weeks ago. I tried running long drops on my ducks but at that depth I didnt have enough weight on. My goose floaters with 8oz weights ended up drifting down the pit.

Quakerattacker wrote:I thought you said they were 80' deep?

I did... see:

T Man wrote: 5-60+ feet deep.

Good try though.

mudpack wrote:

Can you run long lines bank-to-bank?

Not sure. Part of the problem is how we currently hunt them and how I plan on hunting them in the future. With no dog to retrieve birds, we have to be able to get the boat out and around without fowling the prop. Next season I may take out a small 10' boat with a trolling motor that we can use to chase down cripples so I dont have to drop the blind and move my big boat around once it gets set.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Nathan Hoyt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

T Man,

Where are you in SE Kansas? My dad has a farm east of Fulton. We lived about three miles north of Fort Scott for a couple of years in the early `80's before we moved to Louisiana. He only just moved back and took over my mom's family farm last summer after he retired.

I remember fishing a few pits when I was a kid. It was eery to be fishing from the bank and seeing the edge about four feet out and knowing that it dropped off to 40-80 feet straight down right there. It made it really easy for the snapping turtles to sneak up on your stringer and steal fish.

I'd consider some type of gang rigged set up, ie four dekes on spreader bars, so you don't have to anchor more than necessary. I wouldn't want to mess with 80' of anchor lines either. I'd anchor a line between stakes on either bank and use two sash weight to keep the ends down below prop level and tie the gang rigged dekes off where you want them. You'd have to have additional lines for other gangs. If you had permission from the landowner, you could leave the cross lines in place for the season and only remove the dekes daily. You'd have to use some type of buoy to mark your tie off point. I don't like to leave dekes in all season, but others do so that is an option I guess.

I don't think you could set up a standard "J" rig without a hellaciously complex spiderweb of cross lines, but you could place a few appropriately placed blobs using a couple of lines to channel them where you want them.

Nate
"Never inquire regarding the endeavors of a fanatic... ...he might respond."
Nathan Hoyt
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting