Arkansas River Hunting

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Arkansas River Hunting

Postby CL_HOFF » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi, I just moved here and am looking for places to hunt, in the process I've been told the Arkansas river itself is public from Wichita down to the border. Is this true? Thanks for the help.
CL_HOFF
Newb

Re: Arkansas River Hunting

Postby duckdozer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:59 am

you might go to walmart and get a regs book to fully understand teh regs on this but yes the Ark is navigable but you must use public access to get in or have land owner permission to access it.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby CL_HOFF » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for the advice I guess I need to do better research. Anybody ever kill any south of derby on the Arkansas?
CL_HOFF
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:24 pm

CL_HOFF wrote:Thanks for the advice I guess I need to do better research. Anybody ever kill any south of derby on the Arkansas?

That info I highly doubt you are going to get in here, it is a thing called put some gas in your tank and scout.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby CL_HOFF » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I understand that and did. Drove to fall River this evening after work. I'm very willing to drive when I can afford the time and gas money. Like I said I just moved here and am trying to get plugged into the community as much as I can. Thanks for not ignoring my question.
CL_HOFF
Newb

Postby takem7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 am

I can tell you there can be tremendous duck hunting within about an hour of where your at. Check the kdwp waterfoul reports and be prepared to think outside of the box and willing to put forth extra effort and you will be successful.
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Yeah, don't expect to get a lot of detailed info on this public forum. You have the right idea about hunting open water in late season. I scouted earlier this week and found literally a 1000 ducks on a certain stretch of river...but they weren't there today. Probably, after the next cold snap they will be back...maybe?
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

radfordc wrote: Probably, after the next cold snap they will be back...maybe?

Maybe. Maybe not. That's the odd thing about river hunting; they can literally be there one day and gone the next...and visa versa. And weather conditions that normally would have birds all over you may not do a thing.
All you can do is GO HUNTING, whenever you can...and hope the duck gods smile on you that day. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 pm

mudpack wrote:
radfordc wrote: Probably, after the next cold snap they will be back...maybe?

Maybe. Maybe not. That's the odd thing about river hunting; they can literally be there one day and gone the next...and visa versa. And weather conditions that normally would have birds all over you may not do a thing.
All you can do is GO HUNTING, whenever you can...and hope the duck gods smile on you that day. :thumbsup:

True,, hit the river today expecting it to be loaded with birds. Found almost zero were there
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby CL_HOFF » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I guess I'll just scout more during fishing season. Thanks for the help and if anyone ever needs another shooter and don't mind military folks let me know!
CL_HOFF
Newb

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:51 am

The only duck hunters who need another shooter are those who are too old/infirm to do anything but stand up and pull the trigger. Problem is, in another ten years, that'll be me. :crying:

Anticipate a PM from me just before the 2023 waterfowl season......
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting