Season over view?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Season over view?

Postby dukhntr » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

So how have ya'll season ended up so far? Despite low lake levels and minimal water, we have a decent year. Shot a couple everytime we went, except twice. Killed somewhere around 300 ish ducks. maybe 40 canadas, but that should go up. I'm not a numbers guy, just throwing an estimate out there.....Hope ya'll have been shooting em.
User avatar
dukhntr
State Moderator
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:16 pm


Re: Season over view?

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Some of our fellow hunters think January ducks in Kansas are the cat`s meow. They had a productive hunts and a barrel of fun on the re-opener . Perhaps those guys at K.D.W.P. aren`t such dummy`s after all .
Image
Image
Last edited by John O`Neal on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Location: LENEXA Ks.

Re: Season over view?

Postby gooshnr » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Started out with one of my best teal seasons ever. Then the waterhole dried up and so did my duck season. I haven't fired a shot at a duck since the last day of teal season. Goose season has turned out to be much better than I thought it was going to. I've tried some different things this year that have really worked well. Things that in a normal (non-drought) year I would have never thought of trying. I guess an old dog can still learn new tricks.
gooshnr
hunter
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby quackattack1991 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Haven't gotten out since right before christmas, but my year has been pretty horrible. Shot about 35 ducks in 14 hunts. My worst year since I started hunting in Kansas.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
User avatar
quackattack1991
hunter
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: South Central Kansas

Re: Season over view?

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:30 pm

It's been a tough year but a productive one. Had a really good September/October. A horrible November/early December. Great second half of December/January. Ive been able to hunt 24 times and will get out two more times before the close.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:44 pm

My goose hunting has struggled compared to normal years, but the duck action was better than normal.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3541
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Season over view?

Postby dukhntr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm

John, those look like to awesome Bull Cans! I'm jealous! I've only killed 2 ever, one of which was the end of december...Nice shooting.
User avatar
dukhntr
State Moderator
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby duckschooler » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 pm

This season's been the worst I've had since I started. I went ALOT prolly logged 30-35 trips this season and killed somewhere around 60 ducks and 30 geese. I learned some new tricks, tried new strategies and had a good time with my buddies, sad I'll be moving away come May. Hopefully I can break 70 ducks before season's end and my goose number should get into the 40's before season's end.
#flock'em
User avatar
duckschooler
hunter
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 am
Location: Pittsburg, KS

Re: Season over view?

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm

dukhntr wrote:John, those look like to awesome Bull Cans! I'm jealous! I've only killed 2 ever, one of which was the end of december...Nice shooting.


I wish I could take credit for those but my friend Curtis doubled on them . They are big ducks . I have only shot one in my life and it`s still at the taxidermist.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Location: LENEXA Ks.

Re: Season over view?

Postby radfordc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm

duckschooler wrote:This season's been the worst I've had since I started. I went ALOT prolly logged 30-35 trips this season and killed somewhere around 60 ducks and 30 geese. I learned some new tricks, tried new strategies and had a good time with my buddies, sad I'll be moving away come May. Hopefully I can break 70 ducks before season's end and my goose number should get into the 40's before season's end.


When the "worst ever" includes 90 birds...maybe things aren't all that bad.
radfordc
hunter
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:03 pm

The season isn't over yet, but this last half of the month may turn out to be the best days of the 2012-13 waterfowl season in Kansas. Overall, my numbers will be less than 1/6 of last year' count. Yet, it has been amazingly satisfying; I've had to work harder for the few birds I've gotten (42 to date)...and I certainly appreciate each and every one of them.
Looking forward to NEXT year!
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Season over view?

Postby KSRedleg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm

radfordc wrote:
duckschooler wrote:This season's been the worst I've had since I started. I went ALOT prolly logged 30-35 trips this season and killed somewhere around 60 ducks and 30 geese. I learned some new tricks, tried new strategies and had a good time with my buddies, sad I'll be moving away come May. Hopefully I can break 70 ducks before season's end and my goose number should get into the 40's before season's end.


When the "worst ever" includes 90 birds...maybe things aren't all that bad.


Thats the truth, that's the dang truth. :yes:

A lot of it is perspective. In his entire life, a hunter that's younger than 25 or so has only know 74 days seasons and 6 bird bags. Back in 1988, 60 birds would have been a limit a day for more than half the season in eastern Kansas. Now, it's a bad season.
The times they do change.
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
User avatar
KSRedleg
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

Re: Season over view?

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I've been out 25 times. 70 ducks 2 geese. I've enjoyed this season but it hasn't been as fun because my favorite holes are dry.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 am

EcatMagoo wrote:I've been out 25 times. 70 ducks 2 geese.

You have me beat....by a long way. And on all counts. Nice work. Guess I know who the true, committed, die-hard waterfowlers are on this forum. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Season over view?

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 am

Around 100 ducks and 40-50 geese.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3541
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Season over view?

Postby radfordc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 pm

I haven't kept count but probably 50+ ducks this year.
radfordc
hunter
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby radfordc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

KSRedleg wrote:
radfordc wrote:
duckschooler wrote:This season's been the worst I've had since I started. I went ALOT prolly logged 30-35 trips this season and killed somewhere around 60 ducks and 30 geese. I learned some new tricks, tried new strategies and had a good time with my buddies, sad I'll be moving away come May. Hopefully I can break 70 ducks before season's end and my goose number should get into the 40's before season's end.


When the "worst ever" includes 90 birds...maybe things aren't all that bad.


Thats the truth, that's the dang truth. :yes:

A lot of it is perspective. In his entire life, a hunter that's younger than 25 or so has only know 74 days seasons and 6 bird bags. Back in 1988, 60 birds would have been a limit a day for more than half the season in eastern Kansas. Now, it's a bad season.
The times they do change.



Back in the 80's when you had to count "points" one duck could be a limit.
radfordc
hunter
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby sarjrr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

My season has been frustrating, but that is due to a self-imposed (ok partially wife-imposed) one day a week to hunt due to remodeling our house. 24 birds in 7 hunts is about 1/3 of normal for both birds and hunts. I was able to see a friend of 25 years shoot his first limit of ducks and shoot his first ever goose though.
User avatar
sarjrr
hunter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:53 am
Location: central ks

Re: Season over view?

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

KSRedleg wrote:
radfordc wrote:
duckschooler wrote:This season's been the worst I've had since I started. I went ALOT prolly logged 30-35 trips this season and killed somewhere around 60 ducks and 30 geese. I learned some new tricks, tried new strategies and had a good time with my buddies, sad I'll be moving away come May. Hopefully I can break 70 ducks before season's end and my goose number should get into the 40's before season's end.


When the "worst ever" includes 90 birds...maybe things aren't all that bad.


Thats the truth, that's the dang truth. :yes:

A lot of it is perspective. In his entire life, a hunter that's younger than 25 or so has only know 74 days seasons and 6 bird bags. Back in 1988, 60 birds would have been a limit a day for more than half the season in eastern Kansas. Now, it's a bad season.
The times they do change.


I have an older gentleman that I talk to every now and then. He tells me this story all the time about some buddies of his that used to kill a hundred ducks a day in the late seventies and early 80's just north of Winfield lake. They spent a few grand back then for the lease, but he said it was incredible.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
User avatar
quackattack1991
hunter
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: South Central Kansas

Re: Season over view?

Postby KSRedleg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

quackattack1991 wrote:I have an older gentleman that I talk to every now and then. He tells me this story all the time about some buddies of his that used to kill a hundred ducks a day in the late seventies and early 80's just north of Winfield lake. They spent a few grand back then for the lease, but he said it was incredible.


If you shot teal, gadwall, wigeon, pintails,shovelers and scaup, you could kill 10 a day. :yes:
Mallards were the same as today at 20 pts apiece.
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
User avatar
KSRedleg
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

Re: Season over view?

Postby champer196 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

I hunted in the mid and late 70's and in the days of 2 duck limits in the late 80s and early 90s. Canada geese used to be 1 a day until mid dec then you could shoot 2. Dark goose zones in the state with special seasons and bag limits. Snows used to be 3 a day then 5 a day then all of the sudden a spring conservation order and 10 and then 20 a day.

Seems every year since around the late 90s have been record fall flights or darn near. These ARE the good ole days that some of you younger guys out there who have young kids at home will be talking about when your to old to hunt or dead and gone. They will be talking about 6 ducks a day limits and such. Hunting ducks today is much better than the 70s. Those years don't have anything on the past 10 to 15.

If we don't get some water the ducks will dry up. They don't just magically appear out of nowhere each season. Lots of money has been made on mother nature and her bounty in the way of the waterfowling business since the internet was invented and record fall flights have been coming down. But all that money will stop if we don't get the ducks.

Relish these days. And pray for water this spring early and lots of snow run off up north! :beer:
champer196
hunter
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby radfordc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 am

KSRedleg wrote:
If you shot teal, gadwall, wigeon, pintails,shovelers and scaup, you could kill 10 a day. :yes:
Mallards were the same as today at 20 pts apiece.


Unless it was a brown mallard and then you were done for the day.
radfordc
hunter
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby KSRedleg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

radfordc wrote:
KSRedleg wrote:
If you shot teal, gadwall, wigeon, pintails,shovelers and scaup, you could kill 10 a day. :yes:
Mallards were the same as today at 20 pts apiece.


Unless it was a brown mallard and then you were done for the day.


Actually at that time they were 70 pts. When guys would mess up early on a hen, some of them would hide her away until they shot their 4 drakes and then pull out a 1/2 frozen duck and claim it to be their last bird. Some would just forget where they hid that ole hen and keep right on going. :wink: Lots of shenanigans that were pulled in the days of the points system.

Much prefer a simple bag limit like we have now. :yes:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
User avatar
KSRedleg
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

Re: Season over view?

Postby bpgast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 pm

This was the worst year I had as far as numbers taken. With that said, I did appreciate every bird I was able to take much more. Saw my nephew and niece shot their first duck and goose, so a memorable year.
bpgast
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Season over view?

Postby champer196 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:43 am

KSRedleg wrote:
radfordc wrote:
KSRedleg wrote:
If you shot teal, gadwall, wigeon, pintails,shovelers and scaup, you could kill 10 a day. :yes:
Mallards were the same as today at 20 pts apiece.


Unless it was a brown mallard and then you were done for the day.


Actually at that time they were 70 pts. When guys would mess up early on a hen, some of them would hide her away until they shot their 4 drakes and then pull out a 1/2 frozen duck and claim it to be their last bird. Some would just forget where they hid that ole hen and keep right on going. :wink: Lots of shenanigans that were pulled in the days of the points system.

Much prefer a simple bag limit like we have now. :yes:


I agree the bag limit as it is today is much simpler on the other hand it requires somewhat less ability to ID a bird on the wing. Which I guess is a good thing for some. But, how they have it now makes much more sense when you think about it.
champer196
hunter
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron