Who here diver hunts?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Who here diver hunts?

Postby champer196 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 am

Does anyone strictly set out blocks for strictly diver hunting? When I was a teenager we had a blind on a lake with a long point on it and we would strictly diver hunt. It was a lot of fun and also a lot of work stringing decoys out. But, there just doesn't seem to be the divers come through that their once was.

I shoot them incidentally but haven't strictly set out for divers for over 20 yrs.
champer196
hunter

Re: Who here diver hunts?

Postby KSRedleg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:22 am

I'll do it when the opportunity arises. If I'm in a spot that divers might use, I'll also toss out some ringneck blocks with my puddle duck decoys. Have several dozen bluebill, ringnecks, and some canvasback decoys that I'll use if I'm soley targeting divers.

The last time I had consistent diver shooting was in 2007. Shot a bunch of ringnecks and a dozen canvasbacks that year.
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm

I won't say I chase them hard, but if there arent much for puddlers I'll chase them. They are good eating, just a pain to clean. I've started getting the hang of cleaning them, so I'll probably chase them harder next year.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm

How do you clean them? They are so hard to clean
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:How do you clean them? They are so hard to clean

Best way I've found is to clip the wings close to the body, pluck the breast so you can see what you are doing, and then slip a knife below the breast bone and make a slit. if you stick your thumb in the slit, hang onto the feet and lift up hard, you'll pull the breast loose from the ribs and tear the skin on the sides. You can then cut a slit at the base of the throat (between the wishbones) grab hold of the neck and pull the breast off the bird. At that point you use your knife to skin them. I usually start on one side and work across. About the best I can offer. You can pull the skin off the breast with your thumbs if you have a fat bluebill and maybe a can, but with ringnecks you'll tear a lot of meat along with the skin, so that's why I use the knife. Fatter birds are easier, as well as ones that aren't shot up too bad. I've also found that warm birds are easiest. Clean as soon as you can.

Cleaning Ringnecks is a beech. I can clean 3 mallards in the time it takes to skin a ringneck.

Practice will make you better. Good luck. :thumbsup:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting