Last hunt of the season

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Last hunt of the season

Postby SSG-B » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Took my 13 year old son out today for the last day of the southeast zone. Surprising there was only one other hunting party where we hunt. Not a bad day for hunting only had to wear light jackets. We scraped out 10 ducks. The best was I shot two nice Red Head drakes with one shot. I think my son will always remember that shot. Don’t think I could pull it off again. Time to put away the decoys till the fall.
SSG-B
hunter

Re: Last hunt of the season

Postby cONG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 pm

I did not see to many people hunting this weekend too. We had a great weekends to end the year. A guy at work let up hunt one of his pond that was a honey hole. It must had 500 ducks and 30 honkers. We end up killing 15 on the first day. we could not get the big group to decoy in, so we just shoot single and double. The next day Sunday we kill 4 geese and 3 ducks. Was better than I thought. We had 2 big groups of geese that didn't come in. I think the mojo scare them off. Than I went and hunted the river and had 50 duck decoy in perfect. I messed up and shoot at the group. End with one. My buddy seen them on there the day before. So it was a nice hunt alone.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1359343927879.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359343914510.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359343898175.jpg
cONG
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

I hunted the last day of the season and had a great hunt as well. I was also surprised at how few people were out. I ended up shooting 4 Drake Mallards and after several misses throughout the season, I finally shot my only Drake Pintail of the season. It was a great way to end the season. Hate to see what turned out to be one of my better seasons come to an end but its one more closer to when my son is old enough to come with me. Hope everyone had a good season as well.
Attachments
image.jpg
cyoung24
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 am

That's as pretty a picture as one could want, '24. Should keep you going for the next eight months!

We decided to go "social" for the last day of the season, even at the risk of a less efficient harvest; five of us set up early on the favorite late-season hole. Although most of the birds ended up being doubled and tripled, we had decided to take what was given and sort out the carnage later.
The wind was wrong, we tried to compensate with changing locations of the blinds but the birds were still coming in over the top of the blinds(we were facing the wind), and lots of shooters with two dogs meant confusion when half a dozen birds were feet up on the water...."I got that one!" "The heck you did, I shot that one AND those two!" "Oh, no, those two are mine!" :lol3: Good snacks, good shooting (not many that came in, left), fun time. No limits, but we got 18 greenheads and 2 suzies, which was enough for everyone. Can't wait until next season!
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 pm

My last hunt of the season was laying out on a river sandbar with two others. Hunted from sun up until 2. Ended up with 4 Canada geese, 1 golden eye, two green heads and a widgeon.

Now the prayers for rain
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Nice hunts fellas, jealous of those dealing without other hunting groups. Seemed to be another decoy spread abiut every 4.5 feet, remibded me if trout opener at Bennett Springs! Maybe not that bad but birds were nervous, was abke to scratch out a few abd always fun hunting with my old man.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1359483409827.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359483355844.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359483322837.jpg
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:59 pm

Worst duck season to date, I think I have shot a total of 18 ducks. Have been hammering the honkers again but that is a given when you scout as much as we do, everyday!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby SSG-B » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 pm

I would not say worst season but we should have killed more ducks. Just wish I was in town to take my son goose hunting. Army sent me to Ft McCoy. Guess he will still not get to shoot a goose this season.
SSG-B
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Jarbo03 wrote:Nice hunts fellas, jealous of those dealing without other hunting groups. Seemed to be another decoy spread abiut every 4.5 feet, remibded me if trout opener at Bennett Springs! Maybe not that bad but birds were nervous, was abke to scratch out a few abd always fun hunting with my old man.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a certain place that starts with a C. I gave up on that sport early in the year due to the amount of people.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting