And the wait begins

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

And the wait begins

Postby champer196 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 am

The wait begins now for next November and duck hunting. It was a pretty dismal season for me. Lots of miles scouting with little in return for my efforts and wear and tear, and fuel in the tank for the truck. Had a alot of fun quail hunting with my Pointer this year though. Shot more of those tasty little birds this year than years past.

Whats everyones goals for the summer? Anything going to keep you occupied?

For me I have 2 English Pointer pups to get ready for a Sharptail/Hun hunting trip next fall and maybe a couple of trips to the Sandhills. I need to get my kennels finished up as well. May take a vacation on the Harley to parts unknown and hope to fit maybe a little fishing in between those activities.

But, between now and then lets all do our best to pray for timely rains and especially rain to the north in the duck factories so that we can all have some to hunt next year.
champer196
hunter

Re: And the wait begins

Postby KSRedleg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 am

I've been at this a long time, so there are a few things I've learned.

1)It will get here eventually.
2)There'll be plenty to keep me busy until it comes again.
3)No matter how much I think I'll be prepared for duck season, the first weeks of the season always catch me with duck related "work" to do.

How I'll spend the off season? Maybe hunt some squirrels, geese, and rabbits. Follow the 'Hawks in college BBall. Start working on the garden. Start fishing for bluegill and catfish. Follow the St. Louis Cardinals. Fish some more. Do some dove, teal, and squirrel hunting. That ought to get us close to next season. :beer:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 am

Champer did you even kill a duck this year? :fingerpt:

I had a good year, but honestly I'm glad to see it come to an end. The flu bug has been in my family household for the last month and a half and I'm sick of it. I am sure me going duckhunting in the cold didn't help any. But I'm stubborn....My goals for next year are to get my youngest son out hunting. He will be 3 next season which was my oldest' age when he started going. Also my 5 year old will be shooting by himself next year too hopefully. He has shown good safety practices with a bb gun so I think he has earned the right to "try" with a real gun. :biggrin: Still plan to whack a couple more geese before I start getting the bass boat ready to fish again...
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby champer196 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 am

Some of us put boots on the ground, fuel in the tank and rubber on the road to scout up our own places. We don't have the luxury of showing up and hunting at someone elses expense. :fingerpt:
champer196
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 am

Need to do everything I planned to do last offseason. Flock and repaint decoys, finish changing to Texas rigs, and other minor things. Most importantly is finishing up Taz. First on the list is steadying to wing and shot, then pass the NAVHDA UT test. Also preparing for another sharptail/huns trip in MT.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:19 am

My hunting season hasn't even come close to ending.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Hell, ive already re-strung my fishing lines, replaced all the ropes in my boat (mooring, bumper, anchor, etc.) and been out on the water fishing once this year already.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting