problems with greenhead gear decoys

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

problems with greenhead gear decoys

Postby duckguy7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am

A few years ago I bought some greenhead gear life size decoys. Within a few uses the slide in keel broke into 2 pieces spilling the sand out. At this point I have 16 of these with broken keels. I called them today to see if I could buy replacement keels that were improved/tougher that would not break easily. The guy denied that they have had a significant problem with breaking keels. His reply was, "I have heard of that happening." At this point over 65% of these decoys have broken into 2 pieces. I assumed that they were 2 piece designs, but he insisted they were only one piece and he could sell them to me for 2.00 each plus frieight (i assume). This would make the cost almost 50% of new ones with no assureance that they wouldn't break again. I'm goin' out to the shed to take another look at the ones that are still intact.

Anybody else having this problem? What's the deal? :mad:
duckguy7
hunter

Re: problems with greenhead gear decoys

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:45 am

Could you post pix?

I have heard of a few folks experiencing GHG keels breaking where they attach to the body, but not the same as what I read into your post. I've been using GHG since 2003 and never had a keel break. Paint issues; yes, but not keel problems.
mudpack
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am

Welcome to the world of Avery!!! Their duck decoys can be shiesty. They don't even make the slide keels anymore. Mine cracked the dekes and they took on water. The new duck dekes are better, but you still have too put about 3 lite coats of Krylon 1311 on them to keep the paint from coming off.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Interesting!!! I just had this same conversation with a customer service representative last week from GHG to which he offered me that same lame excuses as they did you. Your excuses are getting old GHG!!! Think I'm going to repair these, sell them, and move on to another product. :mad:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby duckguy7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm

I went out to the shed and looked more carefully at a couple of recently broken keels. I looks like the plastic is extremely thin where the slide connects to the keel full of sand. Some of them just break really easily. I have been using my broken ones as a supplement to my motion shore decoys on sand bars. What I need are some very light water keel decoys that have the pigment mixed into the plastic so they need not be painted. Anyone have a recommendation?
duckguy7
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 am

I just spritz the front of my keels with olive green camo aerosol paint once a year.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting