Last goose hunt of the season

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Last goose hunt of the season

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 am

Four of us decided to make it a social event. We no sooner got the spread out when three guys set up 100 yards downwind and five guys set up 100 yards upwind. After a brief (friendly) conversation, the three guys 100yds downwind moved 200 yards downwind.....
Getting colder and windy as the sun came up. Hadn't seen this many ducks all season....they were everywhere, constantly.
Ended up getting three Canadas out of a flock of five, and both of a pair of specks. Not a bad morning, all in all....and a great way to end our 2012-13 Kansas waterfowl season. Hope y'alls was as good.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Last goose hunt of the season

Postby gooshnr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Glad your hunt turned out well. Ended the season on a good note here too. After doing surgery on our relatively small local honker flock over the last several weeks I decided to chase the little geese the final weekend. Ended up with a couple specks and a couple lessers on Sat. Sunday ended up with a two man limit of specks and a handful of Rossies before the birds stopped flying and the decoys started blowing. Overall, this goose season turned out much better than I thought it would. I'm ready for a break.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I've had the worst season I've had in years. Seems like I was snake bit. I decided I would go out and give it one last go on Sunday, and I'm glad I did. Other than the wind it was an awesome time. 3 of us ended up with 6 canadas and 1 ross. It may have been a horrible season, but we ended it on a good note. Not to mention my daughter was super impressed and had to help carry them in from the truck!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 am

We did a late afternoon hunt the last day of season . We waited till then hoping the wind would die down enough to keep the decoys upright . Three of us ended up with seven birds. One of the geese was the smallest Canada I have ever seen ,barely larger than a Mallard . It was a great way to end the season . And the countdown begins .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 am

John O`Neal wrote: And the countdown begins .

Yes, it does!

Nice job, guys, on the last weekend of the season. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting