Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 am

Wildlife and Parks biologists also didn't get full support when discussing dates for upcoming duck seasons.

The agency is recommending a Nov. 2-Jan. 5, and Jan. 18-26 season for Kansas' southeast duck zone. Their similar request last year wasn't accepted and the commission approved a Nov. 15-Jan. 27 season.

Several commissioners responded to a recent waterfowl hunter survey that showed about 65 percent of southeast duck hunters want a season similar to last year.

"If two-thirds of the hunters want a Nov. 15 opener, why are we proposing a Nov. 2 opener?" said commissioner Randy Doll, of Leon. "That's a pretty strong statistical measurement."

Commissioner Don Budd, of Kansas City, was the key member for setting last year's later season. He's recommending a Nov. 2-3 and Nov. 16-Jan. 26 season for the southeast zone.

Commissioner Roger Marshall, of Great Bend, asked to tweak the recommended low plains early season dates, too. The department's request is Oct. 5-Dec. 8 and Dec. 21-29 for the area that includes Cheyenne Bottoms. Marshall wants to lengthen the late-season opportunities with Oct. 5-Dec. 1 and Dec. 21-Jan. 5 seasons. Waterfowl seasons will be voted on Aug. 1.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm


Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:38 pm

I want to add.

I think allowing the SE zone to hunt November 2-3 is a good idea compared to last years dates.

I do not understand the change to the early zone. All public waters in the early zone are almost always frozen during the second split. So adding a week to that late split makes no sense whatsoever.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby cONG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:08 pm

You just never know what the weather will do. It seems like every time the duck season close in southeast zone, the ducks are finely down. The first month is worth less most of the time. We have more rivers and lakes that don't freeze up, so we can hold the ducks longer. Most of the time it warms up so fast they come back, and it can be awesome. I don't see why everyone gets so mad, when it freeze over. If you can find a spot on the marsh or field, your see ducks in the 30-50 groups cupped and stupid hungry. Beside it makes along season for everyone in KS or Out Of State People.
cONG
hunter
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:46 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:I want to add.

I think allowing the SE zone to hunt November 2-3 is a good idea compared to last years dates.

I do not understand the change to the early zone. All public waters in the early zone are almost always frozen during the second split. So adding a week to that late split makes no sense whatsoever.


There are forum members that would argue with you on that Ecat, the Mallards dont show up there till late just like in SEK. One guy I talked to said he wanted the same dates as the SEK zone.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 pm

duckdozer wrote:
EcatMagoo wrote:I want to add.

I think allowing the SE zone to hunt November 2-3 is a good idea compared to last years dates.

I do not understand the change to the early zone. All public waters in the early zone are almost always frozen during the second split. So adding a week to that late split makes no sense whatsoever.


There are forum members that would argue with you on that Ecat, the Mallards dont show up there till late just like in SEK. One guy I talked to said he wanted the same dates as the SEK zone.


The only places to hunt in the Early Zone Region during a freeze are private land. Once the freeze comes you will not be shooting mallards at Jamestown, The Bottoms, Or Mac Wetlands, unless the ice is thin enough to have some holes, and that is a fact.

If you favor the later season for the Early Zone region then you either have a lease, a guide service, or own private land. The public land hunters who hunt shallow water marshes don't want the later dates. The late season zone was specifically carved out to allow more hunting on shallow marshes before the freeze.

In extremely close proximity to the late zone locations one can still hunt, Glenn Elder, Norton, Kanapolis... etc...etc..etc... The list goes on an on for places that are in close proximity to the early zone regions that can be hunted those later dates once the mallards arrive. And those lakes rarely freeze over.

Being able to hunt the bottoms, jamestown, and mac wetlands in October gives us a full month of extra duck hunting in this state. Yet allows all the public and private land around the early zone to be hunted later in the season. Its the perfect plan to maximize the number of days we can duck hunt in Kansas.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby duckdozer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:54 am

Says the weekend warrior from NEK
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am

cONG wrote:You just never know what the weather will do. It seems like every time the duck season close in southeast zone, the ducks are finely down. The first month is worth less most of the time. We have more rivers and lakes that don't freeze up, so we can hold the ducks longer. Most of the time it warms up so fast they come back, and it can be awesome. I don't see why everyone gets so mad, when it freeze over. If you can find a spot on the marsh or field, your see ducks in the 30-50 groups cupped and stupid hungry. Beside it makes along season for everyone in KS or Out Of State People.


cONG ; You made a series of good points regarding the SE zone . If you can`t find ducks in the SE zone in Dec /Jan. it`s because you aren`t trying, not because your locked out by the weather . The SE zone experiences those temporary freeze-ups that sometimes require us to change-up our methods and locations, but it still holds the ducks.. Last season we shot more Mallards in Jan. than any other period of the season. I love hunting the SE zone marshes in my layout boat but on those rare occassions where ice prevents it`s use, a layout blind in a corn field full of greenheads is just as exciting .
If it is the mission of the KDWP to provide waterfowlers with a time frame that provides the best opportunities for a successful hunt then they have certainly met their obligation in the SE zone .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Location: LENEXA Ks.

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:14 pm

duckdozer wrote:Says the weekend warrior from NEK


DuckDozer, unfortunately you are correct. I have to hunt mostly on weekends. When I decided to become a teacher I made that choice and I don't regret it. I wish I could hunt more than 25 times a year but unfortunately that' the most I can do.

As far as being a NE kansas hunter that is only partly true. I grew up in Central Kansas and still have contacts in that part of the state. During a normal season I will hunt Jamestown, Cheyenne Bottoms, Lovewell, Glen Elder, and Kanapolis as well as many NE Kansas locations.


I was hoping for your opinion or reaction to my post.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:28 pm

EcatMagoo, I'm going to have to step in here and argue a little. I've always felt that the seasons in all the zones were to early. The splits are extremely aggravating! They should start the season later and get rid of the splits. Also, the late zone should end when goose season ends.

Even when there was water in the bottoms the birds have been showing up later and later! I do not have a lease nor do I own land. The cold weather gets rid of the fair weather tourist who don't have a clue (not that they want one) about hunting!! Birds can be killed on the ice, and if you don't want to do that you can always go knock on doors and field hunt. Places like the bottoms has been turned into a joke because of the fair weather dates! People setting up on top of hunters, pass shooting the hell out of everything and just being jerks.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
User avatar
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 pm

fowlhunter wrote:EcatMagoo, I'm going to have to step in here and argue a little. I've always felt that the seasons in all the zones were to early. The splits are extremely aggravating! They should start the season later and get rid of the splits. Also, the late zone should end when goose season ends.

Even when there was water in the bottoms the birds have been showing up later and later! I do not have a lease nor do I own land. The cold weather gets rid of the fair weather tourist who don't have a clue (not that they want one) about hunting!! Birds can be killed on the ice, and if you don't want to do that you can always go knock on doors and field hunt. Places like the bottoms has been turned into a joke because of the fair weather dates! People setting up on top of hunters, pass shooting the hell out of everything and just being jerks.


Thank you for voicing your opinion. The main reason I want the early zone to remain in October is because I want us to be able to hunt ducks in Kansas from the September 8 until the end of January. I want the maximum number of hunting days. The only way we can do this is for the early zone to start in October. It allows us to hunt the entire migration and not just parts of it.

Here is the breakdown to show how many days of duck hunting we get with the 3 desired sets of season dates.

Option 1
All zones combined and moved back to a mid November start = (72 days of duck hunting + teal season)

Option 2
Early zone/Late Zone Combined and start early November, SE zone opens Mid November = (83 days of duck hunting + teal season)

Option 3
Early zone opens October 5, Late Zone Opens early November, SE Zone Opens Mid November = (110 days of duck hunting + teal season)

I respect everyones opinion but for me I'll take the 110 days of duck hunting in Kansas.

(I tallied the number of days very quickly so If I made any mistakes please correct my math)
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby KSduckguy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 pm

cONG ; You made a series of good points regarding the SE zone . If you can`t find ducks in the SE zone in Dec /Jan. it`s because you aren`t trying, not because your locked out by the weather . The SE zone experiences those temporary freeze-ups that sometimes require us to change-up our methods and locations, but it still holds the ducks.. Last season we shot more Mallards in Jan. than any other period of the season. I love hunting the SE zone marshes in my layout boat but on those rare occassions where ice prevents it`s use, a layout blind in a corn field full of greenheads is just as exciting .
If it is the mission of the KDWP to provide waterfowlers with a time frame that provides the best opportunities for a successful hunt then they have certainly met their obligation in the SE zone .


Good points guys. I hope they keep the SE zone late - when the ducks are around. Ecat: You are absolutely right regarding the added number of days you can hunt in KS. I'm all for that, but what I do not know is what the hunting is like in early October in the early zone. Are the duck numbers high enough to even go out? I'm glad that I do not have to waste hunts early in the year (when very few ducks are present) here in SEK just because the marshes "might" freeze up before our alloted number of hunting days run out.
KSduckguy
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 am
Location: SE KS

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm

During October there are plenty of ducks. During that time we shoot blue wings, green wings, wood ducks, pintails, gads and the occasional mallard.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby cONG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm

I do like the split in the season. I think it helps the ducks say around longer, and finds new place to eat. I know it helps us out, with are scouting, but they need to put the split, during deer gun season.
I did some hunting at Jamestown during the early season, we had good luck jumping my buddy pond. The best we could do, buy cheating. He like to eat ducks that why we jump ponds
cONG
hunter
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 am

Don't get me wrong. I used to love the way the seasons laid out. But that was when people gave me crap about waterfowl hunting and it wasn't the cool thing to do. I love the mixed bags the early migration and places like the bottoms give you, but lately they are over crowded and leave you feeling angry instead of happy. Jamestown last season is a prime example. I was going to hunt it, then I found out about the kind of pressure it was getting. I drove through and looked, but that was the extent of it.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
User avatar
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby flynfold » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:30 am

will post the seasons Aug 1st
flynfold
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Stilwell, Ks

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby Kansie Pansie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:53 am

There was a good group of guys at the meeting yesterday. With the exception of the girl scouts that want to hunt in T-Shirts.

Season dates are as follows:

High Plains Duck
Sat Oct 5th-Mon Dec 2nd and Sat Dec 21st-Sun Jan 26th

Low Plains Early Zone Duck
Sat Oct 5th-Sun Dec 1st and Sat Dec 21st-Sun Jan 5th

Low Plains Late Zone Duck
Sat Oct 26th-Sun Dec 29th and Sat Jan 18th-Sun Jan 26th

Last, but by no means least
Low Plains Southeast Zone Duck
Sat Nov 2nd-Sun Nov 3rd and Sat Nov 16th-Sun Jan 26th
:clapping: :grooving: :beer: :grooving: :clapping:
Last edited by Kansie Pansie on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kansie Pansie
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 am
Location: SEK

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby Mallyard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:16 am

late zone duck is a crock.... that's a huge split.
Aim for their lips...
User avatar
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:25 pm
Location: KS

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby Mallyard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:18 am

wait, did you mean jan19th???? there is no sunday dec 19th. lol
Aim for their lips...
User avatar
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:25 pm
Location: KS

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby Kansie Pansie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 am

I suppose I should add this for the goose hunters.

White-Fronted Geese Season
Sat Oct 26th-Sun Dec 29th and Sat Feb 1st-Sun Feb 9th

Canada Geese & Light Geese
Sat Oct 26th-Sun Nov 3rd and Wed Nov 6th-Sun Feb 9th

Daily bag limit for Canadas will be 6.
Daily bag limit for Light Geese will be 50.

I believe the possession limit for ducks and geese will increase to 3 times the daily bag limit. Can anyone back me up?

Light Goose Conservation Season
Mon Feb 10th-April 30th

Please advise if you see mistakes. Thanks Mallyard for the last correction.
User avatar
Kansie Pansie
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 am
Location: SEK

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 am

Imagine that. Late zone split when the big push is every year. Surprise, Surprise, SURPRISE!!!!!!! This state is jacked!!!!

Now we read about all the crappy hunts for the first month to month and a half. Why you may ask. Well, IT'S BECAUSE THE BIRDS ARE STILL IN NEBRASKA!!!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
User avatar
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby radfordc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 pm

fowlhunter wrote: Jamestown last season is a prime example. I was going to hunt it, then I found out about the kind of pressure it was getting. I drove through and looked, but that was the extent of it.


My buddy and I hunted Jamestown last year on opening weekend (Sat afternoon thru Mon morning). I think we killed 24 ducks or so between us. Sure there were other hunters, but we still found plenty of opportunities for good hunting. The year before we hunted CB on opening weekend and did well there too.

There's a lot to be said for having over 100 days of hunting available!
radfordc
hunter
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:46 pm

radfordc wrote:
fowlhunter wrote: Jamestown last season is a prime example. I was going to hunt it, then I found out about the kind of pressure it was getting. I drove through and looked, but that was the extent of it.


My buddy and I hunted Jamestown last year on opening weekend (Sat afternoon thru Mon morning). I think we killed 24 ducks or so between us. Sure there were other hunters, but we still found plenty of opportunities for good hunting. The year before we hunted CB on opening weekend and did well there too.

There's a lot to be said for having over 100 days of hunting available!


I couldnt agree more. 110+ days of duck hunting > 74 days of duck hunting.
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:00 am

radfordc wrote:
fowlhunter wrote: Jamestown last season is a prime example. I was going to hunt it, then I found out about the kind of pressure it was getting. I drove through and looked, but that was the extent of it.


My buddy and I hunted Jamestown last year on opening weekend (Sat afternoon thru Mon morning). I think we killed 24 ducks or so between us. Sure there were other hunters, but we still found plenty of opportunities for good hunting. The year before we hunted CB on opening weekend and did well there too.

There's a lot to be said for having over 100 days of hunting available!


You are missing the point! By the second weekend of season the birds were leaving to feed before shooting and not coming back until dark. It was hunted so hard that in less than one week the birds were educated! That bit of info came straight from the Jamestown ranger. Over crowding and lack of etiquette is ruining this sport! I stayed home because the locals that hunt it every year got screwed by the rest of the state. Don't say that's how it works in every marsh in every season, because we all know that would be crap.

Yes, I realize it's public. Yes, I know every other early zone was dry. Yes, I know that is life. BUT how would you feel if everyone and there dog hunted all on the same weekend in your local spot? It's just something to think about. I wish these tourist would sell their dekes, waders, etc. and go back to pheasant hunting.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
User avatar
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby radfordc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Point taken. Hopefully there will be more water this year to spread out the ducks and the hunters.
radfordc
hunter
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Possible Dates for Upcoming Season

Postby sixXgun » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes, I realize it's public. Yes, I know every other early zone was dry. Yes, I know that is life. BUT how would you feel if everyone and there dog hunted all on the same weekend in your local spot? It's just something to think about. I wish these tourist would sell their dekes, waders, etc. and go back to pheasant hunting.


AMEN brother!
sixXgun
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:08 pm
Location: Kansas

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests