Geese!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Geese!

Postby Tuff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:20 pm

Saw about 4 dozen Canada's on the lake behind my house in Sterling. They have been showing up for the past couple of weeks. Can't wait!
Tuff
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 pm

they have been comeing in by me like snows i saw and decoyed more geese this teal season than teal
not really a bad thing though
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 pm

Welcome back 12Dollar! :welcome: Did Adam finally get moved back to Colorado? Going to miss going up to sterling this year to hunt with him.

I saw a big flock of geese while I was driving up in Northern KS this past week, just north of Salina. Not much longer and it will be showtime!
Captain16
hunter

Postby Tuff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:57 pm

Maybe you can come down to Sterling again this year and we can get on some geese. I drive to Wichita everyday for work, and have been seeing some geese in spots in between, no huge flocks, maybe a dozen to two dozen in different spots.
Tuff
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:59 pm

I might have to take you up on that offer. Yeah, I haven't been out west of here or up by Hutch yet, but I a can imagine they are starting to show up out that way. Going to be real good this year in the area with Cheyenne having water now. Haven't been by Quivira, but I imagine it will be great as well.

That's quite a drive everyday to Wichita.
Captain16
hunter

Postby Tuff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:26 pm

my wife is finishing up her last year at the college, and I got a job in Wichita that I couldn't turn down, so we just have to "suck it up" unitl May.

I talked to a buddy of mine on Saturday and he said that the little marsh at Quivira was almost dry, but I haven't been able to get out and check for myself. Do you normally hunt Quivira, I have gone out there the past couple years and always see ducks and geese. Had some success but nothing to brag about.
Tuff
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 am

No, last year was the first time I had even been out there. Adam and I ended up heading out there one day and got a few ducks, but no geese. I ended up out there one other time and everything was frozen shut and didn't even get a shot off that day.

I was hoping we were going to get some good rains before the season opens, but not really looking too good? Still a few weeks, but I sure am not holding my breathe for anything substantial in the rain department.
Captain16
hunter

Postby doane25 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:10 pm

ya know captain that is a long drive out to sterling, i would be more than happy to ride along and keep ya company. i even got a couple of decoys if ya needed to use any! :smile:
doane25
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Yeah, We will definately have to make a couple of trips out that way this year, or even around here. I need to go out and try and get some land around town as well. I don't have any, so I always have to get geese over the lakes, which, has never happened yet. I guess this will only be my third year at this, so I am still learning. I do have me a Zink SR-1 coming in the mail for me any day now. After trying that one last year down there, figured I would go ahead and get me one. I will be ready for some goose hunting this year.
Captain16
hunter

Postby cONG » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:06 pm

yellow lab were do you live at
cONG
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:39 pm

Heck guys, I'm in sorry I havn't been on lately..
PM me and I'll give you my cell and we can chat.. about getting in some hunts this year.

Bishop
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Damn You Guys!!!!!

Just stop talking about Sterling, and all the birds that are up there!!!

I still have my land ownership map if anyone wants it, I could sell it for......or give it to the first one that asks.

I am currently in the Phoenix area studying Audio Engineering, hunting in the desert quite different. I hope to make it back to KS for a weekend sometime.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Americus with is abotu 10 mi from Emporia
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey River, good to hear from you. Yeah definately post up and let us know if you make it to KS!

Oh Yeah, I would like to be the first to ask for the landowners map, or tell me where I could find another! :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting