Pelicans?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Pelicans?

Postby wigeon1040 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:31 pm

Now being a newer resident to Kansas, and doing my first bit of hardcare goose scouting in the areas, I keep finding myself following flocks of birds which I believe to be geese from far away but then upon closer inspection turn out to be nothing but large fish eating freaks of nature. I was wondering if this is just my random luck to keep spotting these large flights of feathered fish eaters or is this a normal thing in Kansas plus I thought these birds were primarily found in Florida. If seeing Pelicans is a normal thing how long do they stick around and are they any tell tale sign of migration patterns for waterfowl?
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby webfeet » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:33 pm

start keeping count and you'll see 3 mil. of them pass through the state, it sounds like you've figured out the diff. between them and snows, so now you'll know better
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby hunter20046667 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 pm

:toofunny: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: like them big birds do ya ? :getdown: :getdown: :salude:
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:37 pm

your not the only one who has ever though they were geese.... and you will see plenty off them.... after you craw out on some you begin to really hate them (what idiot whould have don this ???)

:cool:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:14 am

They are amazing. I always see some big birds coming in the distance and get ready and realize, oh, they are just pelicans! :thumbsdown:

I think they are pretty neat birds, but when they get your hopes up of being some geese coming, tends to make you a bit upset!
Captain16
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Now being a newer resident to Kansas, and doing my first bit of hardcare goose scouting in the areas, I keep finding myself following flocks of birds which I believe to be geese from far away but then upon closer inspection turn out to be nothing but large fish eating freaks of nature. I was wondering if this is just my random luck to keep spotting these large flights of feathered fish eaters or is this a normal thing in Kansas plus I thought these birds were primarily found in Florida. If seeing Pelicans is a normal thing how long do they stick around and are they any tell tale sign of migration patterns for waterfowl?

Heres how are hard core scouting went.
KCDS
" I am pretty darn sure those arent geese. They are way to big

Wigeon
No those are geese. I know geese

KCDS
No those arent geese.

Wigeon
Trust me those are geese.

KCDS
Fine we will go look

Wigeon
WOOHOO

KCDS
LOOK!!! THOSE ARENT GEESE!!!

Wigeon
(Scrambling for an excuse) Oh Im not from around here, Just not used to seeing them.

Sorry nate just got to give you crap :umm: :toofunny:
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:16 am

kcduckslayer wrote:

Heres how are hard core scouting went.
KCDS
" I am pretty darn sure those arent geese. They are way to big

Wigeon
No those are geese. I know geese

KCDS
No those arent geese.

Wigeon
Trust me those are geese.

KCDS
Fine we will go look

Wigeon
WOOHOO

KCDS
LOOK!!! THOSE ARENT GEESE!!!

Wigeon
(Scrambling for an excuse) Oh Im not from around here, Just not used to seeing them.

Sorry nate just got to give you crap :umm: :toofunny:

That is great! :toofunny: Always a way to throw in an excuse.
Captain16
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Hey you were the one driving who got all excited "look there is a bunch of geese!" So I wouldn't be talking too much. :laughing:
Yet the same thing happened the next day when me and the Kankle went out driving around but since I was driving this time and actually come prepared to scout aka. bring binocs, it was little easier to figure out the difference. :toofunny:
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby hunter20046667 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 pm

hey wigeon1040 i thought kankles binocs were attached to his neck at all times. :smile: so how many and where at its almost hammer time.
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting