opening weekend

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

opening weekend

Postby doane25 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:41 pm

who all is going out this weekend for the early zone opener? i won't be able to hunt this weekend because of worrk, but i'm planning on heading out mon, tues, and wed. this cold snap that just came through pushed a few birds into the state so it should be a pretty good time.
doane25
hunter

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Good Luck to those that do go out. I will be in Manhappyness with 50,000+ of my closest purple clad friends watch KSU take on the Fuskers. You guys should have good shooting and man does this weather feel ducky!!!
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 pm

Oh yeah, plan on making it out on Sat. I have to work Sun-wed, but figure next week late I will hopefully make it out again? I know I am ready, just not sure if I am ready for the crowds. I have never hunted the bottoms before, so it should be quite interesting.

I wish I could head to Manhattan, would be a great time. Springhill, you guys have fun and GO CATS!!!!!!!
Captain16
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 pm

yah you all have fun with that as i wait just a bit longer ... thanks for reminding me that you will be out hunting and i wont you are just so nice :pissed:

:toofunny: j\k
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby doane25 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:25 pm

yellowlab wrote:yah you all have fun with that as i wait just a bit longer ... thanks for reminding me that you will be out hunting and i wont you are just so nice :pissed:

:toofunny: j\k

i'll be sure to post some pics for ya
doane25
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:05 pm

thx!!!!!! :pissed:

:smile:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hunter20046667 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:47 am

wish i was going to the bottoms this week end . waa waa
you guys have all the fun, i still have to wait 14 days an a wakeup .
hope to see some pics of limits on here ,have fun and be save .
:salude: :thumbsup:
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:19 am

I will have camera in hand tomorrow. Hopefully, will have some pics up tomorrow. Now, with limits or not, that will be the question? :toofunny:
Captain16
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm pumped for tomorrow! Can't wait to get out there. Hopefully it's a good day, hammering them hard or not. To bad it's warming back up. Oh well. Good luck to everybody.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby doane25 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:49 pm

somebody try to get a head count this weekend. i'm curious to see how many hunters the bottoms can hold? be safe everybody
doane25
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Sounds like it will be sounding like a war zone! I've never hunted there before, so I should be in for a treat!
Captain16
hunter

early zoners...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:03 am

Awww, you danged Early Zoners! You're KILLING me over here! I just checked one of my ponds this morning, 50-75 ducks on it... Two weeks to count down out here in the wild wild east... Just some extra time to keep piling up feathers for our opener...

You all be safe this weekend.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:35 pm

Well, I guess I will be the first to post. I must say....WOW, at around 7am came the first shot and it sounded like a war zone. It was amazing to hear and see all the ducks flying around. All the ducks I saw today were mostly small ducks. Lots of teal, I imagine wood ducks, lots of mixed divers, and yes COOTS! I have never seen so many coots in my life. Everywhere you turned, there they were, I mean thousands of them ugly birds. As far as shooting, actually didn't get to shoot as much as I had hoped. I did end up getting 1 BWT and 2 ringnecks. Two other guys only hit 2 coots. Oh yeah, they aren't living that one down. Only saw maybe a handful of mallards and actually quite a few shovelers, but no big ducks really. Several hundred flocks of smaller ducks moving throughout the entire area. It was fun, but not too fun as most of the ducks were very hard to work with and wouldn't give us the time of day. Maybe they didn't like something they saw, I just think with all of the shooting going on, they were going to be spooked anyways?

I can't even venture to guess how many people were out there. I know the area we were in, I would venture to say at least around 20 boats, but yet out in the middle, we were not bothered or really had anyone too close to us. Not sure about the other pools, but our pool, everyone seemed to make sure they kept their distance from one another. Sorry, I never did snap off any pics, as my heart was just going seeing all of the movement. Truely a sight to see. Hope everyone else that went had a great, safe time and I hope to they tell us how they did.
Captain16
hunter

Postby KSU_Duckhunter » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:27 pm

opening day was pretty usual....tons of ducks.. and alot of shooting... i ended up up with a limit of a spooney, one nice pintail drake, and three ringnecks, ,the other guys in my groups got a mixed bag of teal and some divers.....alot ducks out there.........
Last edited by KSU_Duckhunter on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSU_Duckhunter
hunter

Regulations...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:16 am

KSU, :smile: NICE limit. Look forward to hearing more teasing stories from all of you out west.
Last edited by KS_PuddleJumper on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 am

Hunted a pond yesterday and saw tons of ducks. but none would work. I ended up with 4 but I stayed till noon.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowlhunter » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:26 am

I went out yesterday morning and had a blast. For opening morning I didn't think there was that many people out there. Other than my gun jamming, my boat acting up and the sky blasters next to me things went great. Nothing to serious though just got to work the bugs out I guess. I ended up with 1 wigeon, 1 ringneck, 1 gadwall, and 1 good ole spoony. Captain, you ain't kiddin' about all the pretty coots.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:32 am

Yeah, I was really surprised there weren't more people out and about. I mean there were quite a few, but actually I thought it was going to be worse then it was.

Did you have to mostly pass shoot your birds or did they come right in to your decoys? We had a very few that did, most of them were taking while they were flying mach 1 through the decoys.

It is amazing all the coots out there. Right before sunup we saw all these ducks out in little groups just out puddling away. Thought wow, look at all those. Well, I grap the binocs and come to find out they were all coots. Absolutely couldn't help but laugh.
Captain16
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 am

We didn't have any decoy. All of them were shot while they were taking a peek. We weren't set up very well either, but that's the way it goes.

I'm just ready for next weekend, to do it all over again.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:08 am

Yeah, that is pretty much how they were for us as well. We weren't really set up with anything much either. I would love to be out there today, these clouds, would help quite a bit I bet.
Captain16
hunter

Postby takem7 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:44 am

Me and 2 friends went out saturday shot 14 1 drake mallard 2 gadwal 1 shovler 10 teal
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Postby webfeet » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:51 pm

i'll be at cheyenne this weekend so you guys better have left some ringers. kcduckslayer, bring your donuts and girls i'll be in a black dodge with the stripper pole in the back. ( i am allowed to say where i'll be still, right? alots changed since my last post.) :salude: :salude: :cool:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:31 pm

webfeet wrote: ( i am allowed to say where i'll be still, right alots changed since my last post.) :salude: :salude: :cool:

:withstupid: :toofunny: kinda we did have some fudeing
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:32 am

your donuts and girls i'll be in a black dodge with the stripper pole in the back

Sure will, let me know where and when, I'll be there :toofunny:
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby KSU_Duckhunter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:24 pm

went out this morning with two other guys and got 5 gadwall, 4 teal, 2 redheads, 2 cans, 1 spooney, and one widgeon.. not fast shooting but we got enough singles and pairs to comin and decoy......
KSU_Duckhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting