Rain Rain RAIN

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Rain Rain RAIN

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:51 pm

July has been a great month, lots of rain has fallen ,, cool days and not 30 days of 100 plus weather drawing the water up, its a far cry from the previous 2 Julys.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: Rain Rain RAIN

Postby bill-d-c » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:02 pm

You're right, a far cry from the last two years. About 6 years ago, I built 3 ponds and 3 marshes. They filled pretty quickly, but all but one pond has been dry for the last 2 plus years. Now there's water in everything, all 3 ponds full. Plenty of water to pump into the marshes come fall. Should be a much better year for us waterfowlers.
Bill
bill-d-c
Newb

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 pm

According to a rain fall map I found, Cheyenne Bottoms probably received somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 inches in the last 72 hours, the central part of the state is under a flood watch with more rain to come tonight and tomorrow
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:33 pm

We aren't where we want to be yet, water-wise, but we had to start somewhere.

Yes, our yards are flooded, but it doesn't take much to do that. The wetlands and reservoirs in most of the state need far more than 6 inches of rain to fill them.

I'll feel better if we receive another 18 inches over the next three or four weeks.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm hoping the Kansas river will actually be huntable this year.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby ducknado » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:38 pm

mudpack wrote:We aren't where we want to be yet, water-wise, but we had to start somewhere.

Yes, our yards are flooded, but it doesn't take much to do that. The wetlands and reservoirs in most of the state need far more than 6 inches of rain to fill them.

I'll feel better if we receive another 18 inches over the next three or four weeks.

18 inches? That's half a year's worth of rainfall in 4 weeks! That'd kill the farmers. If we're going to flood them out, let's wait until October-November so the water is still standing during duck season ;).
"not all those who wander are lost"
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ducknado
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 pm

ducknado wrote:18 inches? That's half a year's worth of rainfall in 4 weeks! That'd kill the farmers. If we're going to flood them out, let's wait until October-November so the water is still standing during duck season ;).

Yep. And that's what it would take to turn around almost three years of exceptional drought in the state...at least as far as our wetlands and reservoirs are concerned.
The farmers are doing alright. I know farmers who tell me they've lost every crop they tried to put in the last two years and STILL made more money than they ever have before. The Federal Mama Hog has HUGE teats.

Unfortunately, the ducks don't receive government checks. They need water. Ergo, we duck hunters need rain. Lots of rain.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ducknado » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:18 pm

mudpack wrote:
ducknado wrote:18 inches? That's half a year's worth of rainfall in 4 weeks! That'd kill the farmers. If we're going to flood them out, let's wait until October-November so the water is still standing during duck season ;).

Yep. And that's what it would take to turn around almost three years of exceptional drought in the state...at least as far as our wetlands and reservoirs are concerned.
The farmers are doing alright. I know farmers who tell me they've lost every crop they tried to put in the last two years and STILL made more money than they ever have before. The Federal Mama Hog has HUGE teats.

Unfortunately, the ducks don't receive government checks. They need water. Ergo, we duck hunters need rain. Lots of rain.

agreed, subsidies are bad. Perhaps my wording was poor about it killing farmers, it technically would only kill their crops (which ducks need also) :). Still, I'd prefer the rain be slower and we get the bulk of it in Oct/Nov when the ducks might actually be here to use it instead of August when most of it will simply evaporate/runoff by duck season.
"not all those who wander are lost"
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ducknado
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:09 pm

More Rain, after this weekend, Kansas should be a mecca for waterfowl this fall, anywhere from 4 to 6 inches fell over the last 3 days over the East 2/3ds of the state and theres a big chance for much more water this coming week.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:56 pm

cluckmeister wrote: anywhere from 4 to 6 inches fell over the last 3 days over the East 2/3ds of the state.

Correction: anywhere from 3 to 6 inches fell ON SPOTS in the eastern 2/3 of the state.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 pm

The places that did get lots of rain flooded possibly causing the food to be washed away. Kinda damned if you do damned if you don't. We're still yet to see how good or bad it's gonna be.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Mudpack evidently youre a Meteorologist and know all the proper terms etc on reporting the rain totals that each person in the state got on their respective properties so from now on Ill let you do the correct rain report amounts instead of me giving generalities
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:43 am

You are right, cluck'. I should have left your post alone. I apologize.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

Mud, no apology necessary, but Thanks, seeing you were an Aerospace Engineer, how about we just disposition everything Use as Is. LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting