how many decoys

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

how many decoys

Postby cONG » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:57 pm

how many decoys are you all going to put out fore the first hunt and have you sen the men that use 15 mojo and like 200 decoys on tv
cONG
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:19 am

I am going to use one hen, one drake and one mojo. Think that will work? :toofunny:
Captain16
hunter

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:08 am

Over Kill...

5 dozen duck and 2 dozen goose floater and as many field decoys and I can fit in the truck...
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby doane25 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:48 pm

the field that i want to hit is holding a couple hundred honks and i can drive out into the middle of it, so i'm going to throw out 6-7 doz
doane25
hunter

number strategies

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:31 am

GEEZ, Springer, you're not accounting for my share of the dekes yet! We should have have quite a spread this weekend between us. The fact is, your spread should be dictated by where yo9u are. If you are hunting private land, and/or based on strong scouting and knowledge of local patterns or where newer birds are feeding, you can really get by with few dekes, and I've ssen times over the years where numbers CAN work against you.

Now, public hunting may present an entirely different challenge, as you are competing for attention with every other hunter and their spread. I've seen larger spreads, diversity, gadgets (derned Mojos and crap!) be the differentiator here. I've always been a huge fan of a jerk line on windy days. I wouldn't trade that for an extra 2 dozen in my spread on a still day.

So to each his own. You can argue that there's some strategy based on this drivel, but typically, I have a hard to resisiting the primal urge to put as many decoys out as I can usually fit in a car/truck/SUV/boat/trailer, often strapping more on top, tucking full bodies in unused pockets of air in the back seat, you name it. I say bring what you can!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting