Slim Pickens...

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Slim Pickens...

Postby porochi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:41 pm

Went out today for an evening hunt (10/29/06) in KC area. Very few ducks flying. Had a few mallards sniff my spread then land in a big flock of the real thing about 200 yards from my spread. Though there were no other hunters out, that's pretty stiff competition, 100+ real ducks swimming around just a couple hundred yards or so away from my 3 dozen fakes. The few that were flying checked us out, then joined the real ducks nearby. Finally fired my shotgun in the air to scare off the flock, get em moving around I hoped; they got up, then went back down again in practically the same spot. Frustrating...

Ended up with one hen canvasback. First I've shot. They any good eatin? Guess I'm about to find out.

porochi
porochi
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 am

I'ld settle with only one bird if it was a can. Maybe with this cold front coming in you'll get some more birds. congrats again on the can :salude:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:49 am

Went out this morning before work to a strong north wind and below freezing temps. It was a very ducky morning.

We had 3 groups of mallards in the decoys before legal. That had us very excited but once the sun came up we really didn't have many mallards work us. We where bombed all morning with Gadwall and lots of other ducks. We ended up with 4 mallards 1 mottled (drake mallard/widgeon) and the rest drake gadwall. The lab did a great job on her first doubles and even a triple. She did miss seeing a gadwall down because she was all over the drake mallard so I can't blame her for that. It's been a hot start to the year. I don't want to count my chickens to early...

Our blind is set up to face west and with the strong north wind the ducks where hanging up exactly in front of the blind hovering. We spent twenty minutes watching ducks land in the decoys and hang less than 15 yards in front of the blind. We where waiting for only mallards but then decided to finish out so I could get to work. That was one of the best times I have had just watching ducks break their necks to get in the spread. Anyone else hunt this front this morning?
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:25 am

You lucky man, you are out hunting why some of us have to work! :pissed: Oh well, can't complain, because I guess you are at work now! :smile:

Sounds like a great morning for you. Hopefully I will get one of those days this saturday.
Captain16
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting