So how've ya'll done so far?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

So how've ya'll done so far?

Postby razorbackhunter » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 pm

We shot a 2 man limit on Saturday morning (9 teal and 1 gadwall) but we didn't do so hot on Sunday.....2 teal, 1 widgeon, and 1 woodie. It was my first woodie, so I was pretty stoked. He had been sitting out in some vegetation all morning and we never saw him. I saw a mallard land out in that same vegetation about 100 yards out from us and it was late in the morning, so I decided to walk out and see if I could get close enough to shoot. All of a sudden, that woodie jumped up 15 yards in front of me and I blasted him. Last and best duck of the weekend.

I still couldn't believe that the woodie just sat in that stuff about 50 yards away from us all morning with us shooting and everything. He must have been deaf or something :yes:
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:00 pm

wasn't able to do ant hunting until sunday but did pretty good.

2 man limit geese and a mix of 5 ducks
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby razorbackhunter » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:55 pm

yellowlab wrote:2 man limit geese and a mix of 5 ducks

Nice! We didn't see any geese all weekend, but there was a dead 8 point about 20 feet from where we were at. No bullet holes or anything and it looked like he had just died. When I was scouting on Thursday, I walked up on him and froze. I had to stand there for a bit to make sure he wasn't breathing......he was that freshly dead. That hole is now known as "8-point hole".

I was thinking of calling it "woodie hole" but that just doesn't sound right :laughing:

Too bad a big deer like that went to waste on the elements. :thumbsdown: He looked completely healthy too.....except for the fact that he was dead.

How was the traffic? Did you guys have a bunch of folks in on ya or did you have it all to yourself? We were pretty crowded on Saturday, but there were so many teal, it didn't matter. We got all the way in the back of the marsh (about a 1 mile hike) so we were somewhat isolated. It still sounded like WWIII when the sun came up, though.
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby bigjonks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:14 am

where were you guy's hunting?? I was out we only go 4 between a bunch of us, we were out at milford do you know of any good spots up by manhattan
bigjonks
hunter

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am

Made it out again this morning to a different pond. 3 of us shot 10 with a nice mix of Gadwall, Widgeon, Mallards and a green wing. Not as many duck but lot's of geese moving south early on. The pup did great again this morning but she got a little fussy with the birds in the decoys before legal. (9 of 10 on retreives) She just doesn't understand that you can't shoot everything... Another Great morning with a little ice around the edge of the pond. I didn't like that one bit, way to early.

This will be the last duck hunt for me until next week. I head for Scott City Thursday after work for rooster opening. Hopefully I will get back in the duck mode next Wednesday or Friday... Good luck to everyone.
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby porochi » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:05 pm

bigjonks wrote:where were you guy's hunting?? I was out we only go 4 between a bunch of us, we were out at milford do you know of any good spots up by manhattan

Ain't no one gonna tell you that son. Duck hunters don't give up their spots, especially on an internet message board. That said, I will say it's common knowledge in the Kansas duck hunting community that Cheyenne Bottoms has water this year, and when the Bottoms has water, the Bottoms has ducks. So make the drive.

I'll be in Great Bend this weekend, but chasing pheasants. I'm always torn cause I'm near the Bottoms and it's duck season but I'm trapsing through endless fields of CRP instead. But pheasant opener only comes once a year, so I'll let you all have the ducks this weekend, I'll be back...
porochi
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:33 pm

5 ducks shot this evening 2 mallard drakes, 1 GWT Drake, 2 shovelers 1d/1h. Great times.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 am

we had two groups come into seven floters only geese we saw all day but i guess i talked to them right :thumbsup: to bad i can't call duck half as good... i need a better call number one
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:22 pm

razorbackhunter wrote:
yellowlab wrote:2 man limit geese and a mix of 5 ducks

Nice! We didn't see any geese all weekend.

yeah woodie hole dose sound a bit bad lol...

and yeah two bad on the buck ....

Image here is the pick of geese
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby takem7 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:24 pm

So far this year been out for big ducks 5 times got 4 limits 1 time only got 1 duck :thumbsdown: . so far 3 mallards 2 widgeon 2 scaup 1 redhead 3 pintail 6 or so Gadwalls and the rest teal.
Last edited by takem7 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:25 pm

oh yeah my cousin even got himself a couple coot ...

it got a little slow later in the morning so he said flock it and poped himself a double ... :toofunny:

yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby razorbackhunter » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:22 pm

COOTER McGROOTER!!! :getdown:
Hell, if it's a slow day, I'll shoot a coot or 12. Somebody's got to.

I give them to my non-duck hunting buddies and tell them they're a delicacy :mrgreen:
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:55 pm

My apologies for being relatively silent here this first week; I've been too busy cleaning ducks to catch up and report. My initial prognosis for Ducks in Kansas is... (drumroll, please) an arse-load of Gadwall on the ponds. Limits, upon limits of Pondwall, and a surprising number of divers down as well. Started seeing some mallards midweek on teh edge of the big cold push, and we've shot a few here and there. Hunted every day so far otehr than Mon & Thurs, with limits most days (already enjoying piles of jerky!)... Most of the hunting has been with Spring Hill, who has found
some time to chime in.

http://bentonboyd.com/

Click on the pic of this years stamp to check out our week one pics. Here's a teaser for today... This, Boys & Girls, is what we call a "mixed bag" up here in these NE KS parts...
...stay safe, & good luck...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:28 pm

Congrats on the birds and yes fish! That is my kind of mixed bag as well, looks like a great time! I always like your yearly pics too, they are great. Hope you get more great shots like you did last year.

I did get to make it out Sat and didn't really see too many. I did manage one nice greenhead, but that was it. Should have easily had 2-3 more if I could have shot decent. Oh well, maybe next time I guess. Hope everyone else is doing well so far this season!
Captain16
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:06 pm

Been out 3 times and got 3 limits. Took a guy out todat and we hammered em. I have never seen so many shovelers. It has been like this for the past week. Tonight I shot 2 GWT drakes, 1 hen, and 2 Drake Mallards. Sorry for the crappy picture.

whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby porochi » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:59 pm

Pheasant hunting wasn't too good around Great Bend this weekend. Saturday some of our group decided to duck hunt the Bottoms in the late afternoon as no one was getting any pheasants. I decided to stay behind and keep after the pheasants, wish I hadn't . They shot a limit of bluebills and I didn't get but 1 pheasant. Did spot a big flock of mallards on a pond. Put in the steel shot, snuck up on the pond, another hunter flushed the mallards off, they flew right past me, probably 20 yards away, and I emptied my gun, didn't touch a feather. My first opportunity at mallards this year, and nothing to show for it. Did limit on pheasants Sunday though, so I'm feeling a little better...
porochi
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:40 am

We pond jumped a HUGE flock of Redheads yesterday and got 2 right off the bat. I laid down and they came right back within about 3 minutes and my buddy took one more.

There were about 200-250 redheads in that initial flock but only about 20% of them were drakes. These were my first redheads ever.

What do those guys typically eat? Whatever it was, there must have been a bunch of it in that pond because they really wanted to be there.
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:19 pm

idk what they eat but we have a pond here that the redheads love.. seems like its hard to shoot anything else...

Matt
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 pm

Another 2 man limit
I got
2 Drake Mallards
1 Really pretty Drake pintail
2 Drake Gaddies

Partner
1 Drake GWT
2 Drake Mallards
1 Pretty Drake Pintail
1 Drake Gadwall

Great hunt!
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting