Decoys for early teal

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Decoys for early teal

Postby countryboy32c » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:39 am

I'm gonna go out for my first early teal season. I've heard that a decoy spread of hen mallards work great. Has anyone tried this setup? What other set ups will work?
A countryboy can survive
countryboy32c
hunter

Re: Decoys for early teal

Postby ducknado » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 am

I use a couple dozen teal decoys because they're easy to carry. However, teal will decoy to pretty much anything (I used mallard decoys for years). Don't expect them to come in like mallards though. They don't technically fly faster than mallards, but they are quicker/more agile when changing directions. They'll be in and then land or be gone with no real change in speed at any time. There's no hovering or time spent thinking things over with teal :).

Good luck, and be ready!
"not all those who wander are lost"
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ducknado
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 am

You could kill them over mountain dew bottles if you have a spinner. Teal are nature's version of a D student.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 am

I use a sack of hen decoys for early teal, you don't need a spinner at all. Not saying it wont help but you don't need it. Just something for them to get close enough to look at so you can shoot
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Hen mallards, a spinner, and a well scouted spot. :thumbsup:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:24 am

My secret weapon for teal season: Black Duck decoys.
I call 'em my Magnum BW decoys.

Spinners? ....why bother?
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:25 pm

My favorite teal set up consists 2 Mallard spinners 20 yards off to the side of the main body of decoys which consists of 4 Mallard ,3 hen and 1 Drake, 12 BWT ,6 GWT and 3 pintail 2 drakes and 1 hen, The Mallard and teal dekes are directly in front of me 30 yards out with about 5 feet between each decoy, the pintails are to the right and about 45 yards out. I shoot an improved cylinder 12 gauge with size 7 shot, any thing inside the kill zone is meat on the grill.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby ksgoosekillr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 pm

cluckmeister wrote:My favorite teal set up consists 2 Mallard spinners 20 yards off to the side of the main body of decoys which consists of 4 Mallard ,3 hen and 1 Drake, 12 BWT ,6 GWT and 3 pintail 2 drakes and 1 hen, The Mallard and teal dekes are directly in front of me 30 yards out with about 5 feet between each decoy, the pintails are to the right and about 45 yards out. I shoot an improved cylinder 12 gauge with size 7 shot, any thing inside the kill zone is meat on the grill.

This is the exact spread I use except I use 3 pintail drakes.... :yes:
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 am

cluckmeister wrote:My favorite teal set up consists 2 Mallard spinners 20 yards off to the side of the main body of decoys which consists of 4 Mallard ,3 hen and 1 Drake, 12 BWT ,6 GWT and 3 pintail 2 drakes and 1 hen, The Mallard and teal dekes are directly in front of me 30 yards out with about 5 feet between each decoy, the pintails are to the right and about 45 yards out. I shoot an improved cylinder 12 gauge with size 7 shot, any thing inside the kill zone is meat on the grill.

This is the exact same spread I use, except I leave 4feet 10inches between each decoy.
mudpack
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:36 am

mudpack wrote:
This is the exact same spread I use, except I leave 4feet 10inches between each decoy.

Wow Mudpack ! giving up your secrets so easily ? :no: I certainly envy your location for early Teal though.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby TexasPublicDucks » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:You could kill them over mountain dew bottles if you have a spinner. Teal are nature's version of a D student.

Thank you for making me laugh this morning! So funny, but so true.
TexasPublicDucks
Newb

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:53 am

Mudpack, seeing how you are a retired Aviation Engineer and Im a retired Aviation Experimental Quality fellow, I feel compelled to inspect your 4 feet 10 inches, If you are out of tolerance, Ill write it up and you can disposition it Use As Is ROFLOL
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting