Teal migration will be late this year?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Teal migration will be late this year?

Postby MinneKans » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Read a post on Nebraska DU migration map saying the teal migration will be later than normal this year. Due to late hatch associated with the late spring we had this year. I'm no biologist so was wondering if there is any truth to that?
MinneKans
hunter

Re: Teal migration will be late this year?

Postby Haywoodhonkerhunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:54 pm

That maybe be it seems like the woodies I've seen this year here in western nc are smaller than they was this time last year, and for folks like me hunting in western nc we may get to kill some teal for the first split in early October

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Haywoodhonkerhunter
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Im not a biologist either but heres my 2 cents worth. Duck migration involves so many things that saying well, we had a late spring so the ducks mated late and this will cause the migration to be late is to me a bad statement. Length of day, temperature, how far north the birds had to go to find nesting conditions, lots of factors are involved in the migration. I don't judge the migration of teal by that species alone, when was the last time any of you seen more than 2 robins in a days time, I had tons of them around my house all summer but haven't seen one in 2 weeks, they're gone. How about song birds a lot of them are gone as well, Cardinals nope the 3 pair I had nesting in my trees, theyre not to be found. Have any of you been out in the country, if you have, you've probably notice the blackbirds in bigger groups ,gathering up to move south And UNFORTUNATELY I think the doves have moved early this year, My hunting buddy and I have driven over 600 miles the last 2 weeks finding very few doves. 2 of our 3 honey holes are void of doves. We have seen quite a few BTW but they are scattered over Hells half Acre because all the rain we've had the last 7 weeks. Well guess that's 3 cents worth, guess I got a my moneys worth. The Cluckmeister says the Teal will be here but scattered every where
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ducknado » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 pm

I've seen 1 small wad of teal so far. I agree, the migration will be late, you should stay home and not go teal hunting :D. As mentioned above, weather and other factors all seem to play a role in timing of migrations. There will be teal somewhere around here during teal season.

As for the other birds, some may have left already, but I believe a lot of those birds are molting this time of year.
"not all those who wander are lost"
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ducknado
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 am

For what it's worth, a friend of mine shot a banded teal during teal season a few years back. It was banded the weeks earlier in Saskatchewan and was shot in Kansas. When it's time to move they can cover some serious ground.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby flynfold » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Here today gone tomorrow, It is suppose to be in the mid ninety's for the foreseeable future. Keep your eyes to the skies.
flynfold
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 am

Yes, the teal migration will be late this year. Word has it that it will be delayed 2 hours due to unfavorable wind directions at 20,000 feet.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am

Since so many of you fine fellows seem to think the migration will be late, I guess you need to stay at home and recheck the paint on the dekes, mend any holes in the decoy bag, work the dog a bit more, find that call you misplaced and cant find, recheck the decoy cords and weights, reread the latest edition of Wildfowl, hunt the doves more, go to Cabelas or your local sporting goods store and look at head lamp you've been wanting to buy , check the waders for the third time for leaks, oil the shotgun just one more time, and think, damn wish the migration wasn't 2 weeks late. Well Ive had all those things done for 3 weeks, so guess there's nothing to do but go anyway and just sit in the Marsh looking at empty skys, swatting mosquitos. Ill keep the light on for ya, ya hear
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Saw several hundred while fishing today. Damn they are so late...
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Question, for all you teal hunters out there, what makes you think they are late? For years we were allowed a nine day teal season east of US 283 and the season didn't start until around the 14th, The opening weekend was never spectacular and the second weekend was great, so now we get to open the 7th, theres not many birds around and everyones yelling theyre late,
BTW I saw about 3,000 BWT this morning somewhere between Dodge City and Pittsburg or was it between Concordia and Caldwell. . Ill never tell, LOL, So maybe they aren't late after all
Last edited by cluckmeister on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Goosegetter50 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Watched somewhere around 200 hit a pond this morning while touching up blinds with brush.
Goosegetter50
hunter

Postby river rats » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 am

We had more teal visit the pond last night than doves.
river rats
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:06 am

Saw 3 bunches this morning while dove hunting.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:00 pm

cluckmeister wrote:..now we get to open the 7th, theres not many birds around and everyones yelling theyre late,.

This.
They aren't late.
We're early.
mudpack
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm

early, late, whatever who cares! its duck season boys!!

Hope you all have a good opener. Stay safe. I wont be able to choot em up until i get back to the states.

Knock em down, be responsible, and dont ruin someone else's opening day by crowding up on eacheother!

ps... im jelous :crying:
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:13 am

Lots of teal this morning, lots of hunters, from many Kansas counties. The two of us had our limits at 7:05: twelve BW drakes. Much shooting going on as we loaded up.
I have a feeling every refuge in Kansas will show a 5.8 bird/hunter after this weekend.

SAVE THE HENS!!! :rolleyes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Not sure where you're hunting but I'd disagree with the 5.8 average. Hopefully some weather pushes more in because otherwise I'm not going back out til I can shoot big ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby WF1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Not a duck was seen this morning. Decided to avoid public and hunt some shallow ponds that historically have been teal magnets.

This wasn't a huge surprise as I haven't seen much come down yet anywhere. My theory for the lack of activity is that the public wmas have such excellent habitat (especially compared to the past few years) the birds have no reason to leave those areas, until pressured.

I was in relative proximity to some places I had scouted that held birds, but they'll show up in good numbers eventually.
WF1
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting