Anyone finding any doves?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Anyone finding any doves?

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Our opener was pretty weak. We dont have any corn cut around here, and it was hot. Had a nice little rain shower yesterday, which kept things cool. We didnt kill many birds, but I was shooting my grandpas old 16, so the trigger time was worth it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Anyone finding any doves?

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:06 pm

3 man limit both yesterday and today by 8:30, Im going to give it a days rest and hit it one more time before Saturdays Teal Opener
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 pm

All the corn failed here so there is sileage being cut everywhere. We just don't have the birds like we normally do. Nobody around here is doing any good. I got 4 this morning. Heard one volley to my NW and 2 shots to my SE. Yesterday afternoon didn't hear any. Can't decide if I want to go back to the same field this evening. It isn't much but its the best I could find.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Yesterday was fantiastic; birds constantly in the air to the horizon in all directions, including many flocks of 6-30 doves. Quick limits by 9AM. Should have figured what was going on.
Today: 5% of the birds we saw yesterday. Why? It was down to 60 degrees at daybreak. The flocks were forming up yesterday for a long flight into northern Texas during the night. Twenty-six birds between two shooters...and we were out 'til noon.

Looks like this week I'll be scouting teal instead of shooting dove.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Took my daughter out tonight for her first hunt ever. We had a blast. I shot 8 but we lost 2. She was super excited and I think I created a monster.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:02 am

Ks_waterfowler, that's awesome! It's always fun taking your kids.

Not many birds in my area. I think most were south of us already. Oh well, time to get ready for teal.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 am

Unless she wants to go again I am done for the year. Don't know if I even want to chase teal. I can't get in for an allergy shot due to work and I am a miserable SOB. Hunting yesterday reminded me why I didn't go last year.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:00 am

88 birds on Sunday, 14 on Monday, birds definitely split with the cool weather. My nephew was on his first hunt, shot 10 Sun and 2 Mon, he is now hooked. Did great for his first hunt.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am

Im always torn in thought this time of year about the doves and their movements, seems most of the guys posting, did good on doves the first 2 days and now are reporting not many around and they think they have moved south. Well did they really migrate south or just move areas because of the hunting pressure on their territories. In our group the adult men shot 3 limits the first day and the youngsters shot 12 between them so that's a total of 57 birds. Yesterday morning 3 limits were taken so all total that's 102 birds taken. Yesterday we saw about 50% of the birds we saw Sunday, Id prefer to think we took a 30 % of the total birds on the hunting area, 40% stayed on the area and the other 30% move from the area. We noticed going home yesterday that there were more birds approximately 5 miles south in our other hunting area than there had been for the last 3 weeks. So I guess its the same old question I always ask myself , did they fly south to Texas or just leave the hunting area due to pressure.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 am

Depends on the area I guess. Where we hunted there were less birds everywhere. We had 2 other fields scouted that were not hunted, birds were gone from those areas also.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am

I drove 50 miles on the 31st and saw 26 doves total. 50 the day before and I saw 11. Most years I wouldn't consider hunting a field that had 50 going into it. THis year I was lucky to have it. Not many folks shooting much in these parts. Its an odd year thats for sure.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Took my daughter out tonight for her first hunt ever. We had a blast. I shot 8 but we lost 2. She was super excited and I think I created a monster.

Awesome !!!!
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:28 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Took my daughter out tonight for her first hunt ever. We had a blast. I shot 8 but we lost 2. She was super excited and I think I created a monster.

Awesome!!!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Went out to the favorite spot today, saw 87 doves, shot 15 and the best part is, one of the doves was banded, It is the first dove ive seen anyone get in 40 years of hunting that was banded
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby TheMiz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Me and my buddy also shot a banded dove on the opener. Didn't notice it until we started cleaning them, then we had a nice fight over who actually shot it...
TheMiz
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:42 pm

You guys who get a banded dove, be sure to report the band number.
I spent a good part of this summer banding the little critters and don't want to feel like getting up at 5AM, the long hours in the sun (and rain), and getting home after sundown was all a waste of time....... :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:38 am

I called it in as soon as we found it. Mine was banded a little over a month ago on the same WA where we shot it...If anyone was wondering about dove movements that's what I know.
TheMiz
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting